Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the work done at my Honda Dealer for my 2013 pilot that is past the 7 year mark and only has 58K miles on it. Normally Honda wants the timing belt done at this time and there appears to be a whole kit for it that includes:

1. Timing Belt
2. Tensioner
3. Water pump
4. Drive belt (serpentine belt)
5. Antifreeze

The normal cost is around $1400. But I got my dealer to do it on a competitors coupon for basically $1k. Coupon says $999.95 from a dealership 45 miles away. Im also paying for the compliance bushings to the tune of $318 on a $1050 bill after fighting honda since Im 5 months out of warranty. They are paying part of it as a Goodwill gesture due to the bushing service bulletin for this car.

Total bill $1318 for the timing kit and compliance bushings. Normally I would not do this since it could go far longer without this "maintenance" but I want to keep it going perfectly and I have the money.
Any advice on appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,840 Posts
$1000 for the timing belt job, with the parts you listed, is inline with what I would expect to pay at the dealer. My dealer charged about $1100 for that service a few years back. Shop rate at that time was $155. I’d expect it to be closer to $1200 now since shop rate has increased to $170.

Reactions: skycamper

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,408 Posts
That's a good deal. My dealer charges $1,400 for the whole timing belt/water pump service. Independent mechanic charges about $1,000.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts
For a dealer, it's par for the course, perhaps a bit under par.

Have you considered getting a trusted, Honda experienced mechanic to install an Aisin timing belt kit? Does your dealer use the OEM kit? One would expect so, but one would also expect top athletes not to juice. :D At least get the parts used in writing up front.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
There are two other parts I don't see listed in your timing belt job.
Koyo Tensioner Bearing
Koyo Idler Bearing
You only have 58k, maybe not replacing?
There are a lot of cheap parts out there. I'd ask for Aisin. Ask if he will use this kit.

Reactions: skycamper

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a good point, are you saying that this kit referenced here is what the dealership should be installing as far as brand names go? No they did not mention the 2 bearings mentioned above. So I have to assume those will not be changed out. But I will ask. They also did not mention the gaskets. But I have to assume they would not reuse old ones. I will get a list of the parts being used.

Is the kit listed here different than the OEM honda parts they will install? What should I be asking for?

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
This is a good point, are you saying that this kit referenced here is what the dealership should be installing as far as brand names go? No they did not mention the 2 bearings mentioned above. So I have to assume those will not be changed out. But I will ask. They also did not mention the gaskets. But I have to assume they would not reuse old ones. I will get a list of the parts being used.

Is the kit listed here different than the OEM honda parts they will install? What should I be asking for?
If you bought each OEM part separately from a Honda dealer, it will likely cost double. The Aisin kit uses OEM bearings. Aisin has made water pumps for Honda as OE. The Mitsuboshi belt is also found in many OE aplications. It's a great kit. I've installed many of these kits and Aisin water pumps in a variety of makes and models with no issues.
Item # TKH002 is the Aisin part number that will fit your vehicle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These are the parts quoted:
I noticed the timing belt is Unitta and not Mitsuboshi . The water pump, P/S belt and tensioner seem to be ASIN. Anything wrong here?

T-BELT KIT LABOR $690.00 TOTAL $1348.07 YOUR PRICE $1000.00

14400-RCA-A01 BELT, 108.38│

19200-RDV-J01 WATER 230.49│

56992-RV0-A05 BELT, P-S 77.92│

OL999-9011 COOLANT 21.65│

14520-RCA-A01 TENSIONER 219.63│

Compliance Bushings LABOR $194.60 TOTAL 725.77 YOUR GOODWILL COST $318.86

04513-SZA-020 SET, FR- 531.17│(warranty price)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The service advisor was also not happy to have to give me this quote here's his response when I asked for something in writing before the work would happen:

"Good morning Abraham you will receive a detailed parts and labor list when we complete the service on you Pilot. "

I did not find this helpful having to ask again for a good faith estimate.

·
Registered
9,275 Posts
They're giving you goodwill with an oxymoronic bad attitude.

Still, grin and bear it. The deal itself is not that bad.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Would this compliance bushing be difficult for the average Joe to replace? My 2017 Pilot has had brake shake and vibration for a year or so.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Would this compliance bushing be difficult for the average Joe to replace? My 2017 Pilot has had brake shake and vibration for a year or so.
These days, most folks just buy aftermarket lower control arms complete with bushings. Otherwise the old bushings must be pushed out with special tools and new ones pressed in.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
The service advisor was also not happy to have to give me this quote here's his response when I asked for something in writing before the work would happen:

"Good morning Abraham you will receive a detailed parts and labor list when we complete the service on you Pilot. "

I did not find this helpful having to ask again for a good faith estimate.
Ask that service advisor it he'd dine at a restaurant that stated the total price before the meal, but you'd only find out what it included after it was served to you.

·
Registered
9,275 Posts
Great analogy.

Perhaps he subscribes to the "you don't want to know how the sausage is made" school of thought.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts