Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what the title says.

Inexpensive way to have navigation show up on the OEM back up screen on our 2015 LX 4WD?

·
Registered
525 Posts
No. Ask Santa for a Garmin unit.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Or get a good mount for your smartphone to use as nav.

Just the map updates for my 2013 with factory Alpine nav are more than the cost of a Garmin with lifetime maps and traffic updates included. Go the Garmin route if you are on a cramped data plan on your phone, especially if you do long-distance driving with it running. My iPhone integrates with the iWatch, and sends cues for turns and such to the watch. It beeps, them taps my wrist to warn of upcoming direction changes. So effective but gets rid of the voice prompts unless you really want them. Works well with Siri voice assistant too, so polling for rest areas and gas is amazingly simple.

There are ways to integrate other sources with the factory display, including devices like Navtool. But they are either-or, so you can't keep a car-generated display up and have it interrupted selectively by your phone or tablet display when directions are needed. Plus they require some console disassembly to wire in the Navtool box.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No. Ask Santa for a Garmin unit.
Or get a good mount for your smartphone to use as nav.

Just the map updates for my 2013 with factory Alpine nav are more than the cost of a Garmin with lifetime maps and traffic updates included. Go the Garmin route if you are on a cramped data plan on your phone, especially if you do long-distance driving with it running. My iPhone integrates with the iWatch, and sends cues for turns and such to the watch. It beeps, them taps my wrist to warn of upcoming direction changes. So effective but gets rid of the voice prompts unless you really want them. Works well with Siri voice assistant too, so polling for rest areas and gas is amazingly simple.

There are ways to integrate other sources with the factory display, including devices like Navtool. But they are either-or, so you can't keep a car-generated display up and have it interrupted selectively by your phone or tablet display when directions are needed. Plus they require some console disassembly to wire in the Navtool box.
Thanks for the replies.

My phone w/ a magnet mount has been working just great!

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,096 Posts
Just what the title says.

Inexpensive way to have navigation show up on the OEM back up screen on our 2015 LX 4WD?
Your request is like ordering from a Chinese menu. You can only pick two.

Cheap Easy Reliable

Or you could buy a real big bow and get the little woman a 2021 Honda Pilot for Christmas.

·
Registered
796 Posts
As others said, a well-placed mount for your phone is the easiest option. (One with a built-in wireless charging pad is best, no messing with wires)
Next in line is NavTool, IF you can make it work for you and not having a touchscreen is OK.
Or you go into the murky waters of aftermarket head units, custom harnesses, dash rework, etc.

One could also 'think outside the box' and go with something like this:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My phone works fine then, thanks for the replies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.