Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed in older cars with a leather steering wheel, the leather starts to become shiny with the oils in our hands. Is there a way that I can keep it matte because the Pilot steering wheel is one of the few steering wheels that won't age well with that. I was watching a video from Stauffer Garage and in an Odyssey he was detailing, the steering wheel was really shiny. I left a photo of what it looked like. I also left a photo of what my steering wheel looks like with the matte finish.

(Don't worry I took the plastic off the screen:))

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Well you could always get you a pair of the $800 French made driving gloves, made out of sheep's skin?

But ya, some cheap knock offs at Wal-mart may be where I'd go look first to find a pair of driving gloves.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Well you could always get you a pair of the $800 French made driving gloves, made out of sheep's skin?
But ya, some cheap knock offs at Wal-mart may be where I'd go look first to find a pair of driving gloves.
Many years ago I was in a clothing store just before Christmas and overheard part of a phone conversation between a salesman and a customer.
First, the salesman says "Yes, ma'am, we do have men's leather driving gloves."
Then, after a brief pause, he says "Yes, ma'am, they are the style with holes for the knuckles."

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
98 Posts
I think the shining of the steering wheel is inevitable due to constant
I've noticed in older cars with a leather steering wheel, the leather starts to become shiny with the oils in our hands. Is there a way that I can keep it matte because the Pilot steering wheel is one of the few steering wheels that won't age well with that. I was watching a video from Stauffer Garage and in an Odyssey he was detailing, the steering wheel was really shiny. I left a photo of what it looked like. I also left a photo of what my steering wheel looks like with the matte finish.
(Don't worry I took the plastic off the screen:))
I think the shining of the steering wheel is inevitable with constant use, just enjoy it while it last.. With the work from home, I've extended the matte effect of my steering wheel for 3 more months..

·
Registered
722 Posts
Gloves would definitely prolong the finish. Also, regular cleaning to remove the oils will help. My best advice however is to get a new one and store it until yours is past your standards and swap it out.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think the shining of the steering wheel is inevitable with constant use, just enjoy it while it last.
No, the OP is correct, the OIL from the human body is the factor.

Just like if you touch the glass of the light bulbs in vehicles with bare fingers often enough, they will "swell" "bubble up" etc..

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I could try it on another car. I have a feeling that all the black stuff coming from the wheel could've been the dye in the leather.
Actually nvm. I watched a few vids and they used a magic eraser. I’ll try it on another car first before I do it on the pilot

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
No, the OP is correct, the OIL from the human body is the factor.

Just like if you touch the glass of the light bulbs in vehicles with bare fingers often enough, they will "swell" "bubble up" etc..
Right. It comes from frequent use.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Actually nvm. I watched a few vids and they used a magic eraser. I’ll try it on another car first before I do it on the pilot
Be careful, the magic eraser is an abrasive and does remove the finish.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've seen that leather cleaner can do the job too, but it leaves it a little shiny. I'll probably use the leather shampoo when it starts to get a little shiny. I've heard that Griot's Garage leather cleaner is a pretty good one, but what do you guys think?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts