Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new 2020 Pilot EX-L Six-speed trans. this weekend and I can't find the transmission fluid
dip stick to check the fluid. Is there a dipstick or do you have to remove the filler plug and pump fluid into the trans
till it overflows? Owner's manual said to see the dealer. What gives?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
Looks like the transmission dipstick is a thing of the past. Over the past few years many manufactures have gone to more sealed transmissions that require the transmission to be professionally serviced.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Changing the transmission fluid on the Honda (and other brands) 9sp transmissions is no longer a DIY Saturday afternoon project.

Unless you see a fluid puddle under your car or a dash light comes on, there's no need to ever check your fluid level.

Google what is involved and you'll see why....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a Transmission Cooler installed before I pickup up the new Pilot and I guess I have to hope they checked the fluid level after they installed the cooler. Thanks for the reply's.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The 6-speed does have a dip stick. The 9-speed does not.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MtMan Thanks I will look a little closer tomorrow.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just drained and refilled my 2017 Pilot 6 speed tranny yesterday. It does have a dipstick. You have to bend over and extend your arm way down to reach it. Best to use your left hand. And as the above diagram states,,there is a notch for proper position of the plug when its is pushed in. This is also where to add fluid as well. I use a 2 foot small plastic hose that fits into the fill hole and extends up to the top of the engine for ease of adding fluid. The hose is made by Toro and is called Funny Pipe. Do a search. Maybe a long skinny funnel would work to.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just drained and refilled my 2017 Pilot 6 speed tranny yesterday. It does have a dipstick. You have to bend over and extend your arm way down to reach it. Best to use your left hand. And as the above diagram states,,there is a notch for proper position of the plug when its is pushed in. This is also where to add fluid as well. I use a 2 foot small plastic hose that fits into the fill hole and extends up to the top of the engine for ease of adding fluid. The hose is made by Toro and is called Funny Pipe. Do a search. Maybe a long skinny funnel would work to.
Ok, I am just being lazy here. Can I use a super thin tip funnel to refill the ATF thru dipstick opening instead of the filling hole? Years ago I tried to refill the ATF thru the filling hole on an old Accord and got cut badly. I have big hands, and I'm clumsy with tools:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Ok, I am just being lazy here. Can I use a super thin tip funnel to refill the ATF thru dipstick opening instead of the filling hole? Years ago I tried to refill the ATF thru the filling hole on an old Accord and got cut badly. I have big hands, and I'm clumsy with tools:ROFLMAO:
Don't see why not. There are owner's who use a vacuum device to change the engine oil by sucking it out through the dipstick. Refilling through the transmission dipstick should be no problem other than perhaps slow?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FOUND THE DIPSTICK . Just to the right of the left hand motor mount, use a flashlight. It isn't painted.
Thanks for all of the response.
Jack

·
Registered
846 Posts
Why are you checking the transmission fluid on a 2020 you just got?
Sounds like a conscientious owner who wants to find where some of the features and maintenance check items are. There have also been posts about the factory or the dealer not doing a proper pre-purchase inspection. This includes high or low air tire pressure, high or low oil, high or low transmission fluid, etc.

Wait until he start reading the owner's manual and really starts playing around with the car!!! Good for him wanting to know more about his car?

Reactions: Aviator6

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes but you dont use a super thin funnel

Get the black funnel they sell at auto parts stores or Walmart. It perfectly fits OVER the dipstick tube, at least it does on my Odyssey and I assume dipstick tubes are similar. I sort of twist it down onto the top of the dipstick tube and since it is plastic it gives a little and creates a seal. Then you just pour in the fluid. You might get a couple drops when you take off the funnel but it certainly goes faster than finding a tube that fits INSIDE

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Slipjohn1 Ask: Why are you checking the transmission fluid on a 2020 you just got?
In the first post on this subject I stated that I had a Transmission Cooler installed on my new Pilot ( for towing )and wanted to make sure that the fluid was topped up after installing the cooler and couldn't find the dip stick.
Jack

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes but you dont use a super thin funnel

Get the black funnel they sell at auto parts stores or Walmart. It perfectly fits OVER the dipstick tube, at least it does on my Odyssey and I assume dipstick tubes are similar. I sort of twist it down onto the top of the dipstick tube and since it is plastic it gives a little and creates a seal. Then you just pour in the fluid. You might get a couple drops when you take off the funnel but it certainly goes faster than finding a tube that fits INSIDE
Good idea. Thanks. I have never thought of fitting the funnel "over" the tube. That's thinking outside the box (y)

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
111 Posts
Yes, this works just fine. I've used a funnel and hose that went over the dipstick pipe,. Just clean it first and put a clamp on it so it does not leak. The tiny "in hole" funnels take forever to fill 3 qts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The 6-speed does have a dip stick. The 9-speed does not.
Yes, this works just fine. I've used a funnel and hose that went over the dipstick pipe,. Just clean it first and put a clamp on it so it does not leak. The tiny "in hole" funnels take forever to fill 3 qts.
Oil changing places like Mineke have a machine to suck the oil out and then pour in new oil. Of course you can't ever change the tranny oil filter if there even is one. Maybe with all Honda's cost reductions there is no filter. I have 2010 Pilot and there is no Tranny Dip stick. We service older cars and wheel chair vans and having the ability to change tranny oil and replace the filter and remove the metal filings from the magnetic plug has saved many a transmission from having to be replaced. Some Chevy and Ford E350 vans have over 400,000 miles, Dodges 200,000 to 250,000. The new Transit series are sealed as is the Dodge Promaster so it will be interesting to see how long they last. I wonder how long my 2010 Pilot tranny will last. I should search for some history on this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts