Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my local dealership today buying the power steering o ring, and I noticed an excellent condition 2007 Pilot EX-L 4WD on the lot. It has about 60,000 miles than my 2008. I looked it up, and read the Carfax. It has been very well maintained and the timing belt was done about 10,000 miles ago. It got me thinking...I will be needing to have my timing belt job done in the next month or so. Is there any chance I'd be able to trade my Pilot in, and get the 2007 for a couple thousand dollars? This dealer always has ridiculously high prices and tends to rip people off (especially when it comes to parts and service). They are asking about $7,800 before tax tag and title.
So, am I crazy and is it unrealistic to think I'd get a good deal, or should I just keep my current car and pay to have the timing belt job done (I will not attempt to do it myself). I like the idea of having the VTM-4 system. Thanks!

P.S- I think I have too much time on my hands right now and so thats why I am even considering crazy stuff like this.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The current economic + pandemonium could work in your favor. The VTM-4 is a good thing to have for inclement weather and resale value.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
We're in different climates, but VTM-4 is one of the main things I love about my Pilot.

It's extricated me from an otherwise miserable situation on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
We're in different climates, but VTM-4 is one of the main things I love about my Pilot.

It's extricated me from an otherwise miserable situation on more than one occasion.
Was this on your wet grass again ? :p

Reactions: Irish Pilot Mender

·
Registered
10,217 Posts

·
Registered
10,217 Posts

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,166 Posts
You might be able to get a good deal on the Pilot since I’m guessing car sales are down these days. But you have to ask yourself if it’s worth the risk of being exposed to the virus either during the test drive and/or the negotiation process.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
You might be able to get a good deal on the Pilot since I’m guessing car sales are down these days. But you have to ask yourself if it’s worth the risk of being exposed to the virus either during the test drive and/or the negotiation process.
Nah ya worrying too much. I think I can strike a deal today. This is my everyday wear.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,217 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not concerned about the virus, and I told the salesman I did not need to look at the car and I would like to do everything over email. He wants $2,500 after trade in so I'm not going through unless he lowers the price a lot. So basically I don't expect to get it. I looked at the car yesterday while waiting for my parts.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,166 Posts
Did you test drive it? Are you planning on inspecting the Pilot either yourself or by your trusted mechanic? Those are two steps of the process I personally would not skip out on. You know what you have with your Pilot. This other Pilot, maintenance wise, is an unknown to you.

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
The one to watch these days is Steven Soderbergh's 2011 film, Contagion.

But seriously, @Jack Vogt, even if you aren't concerned about the coronavirus, which you should be, you should be concerned about the scamvirus or the clunkerbug, so have any vehicle you're seriously considering checked out by a trusted mechanic. How many sad tales of a guy kicking himself begin with...
I was at my local dealership today [...] and I noticed an excellent condition...

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The one to watch these days is Steven Soderbergh's 2011 film, Contagion.

But seriously, @Jack Vogt, even if you aren't concerned about the coronavirus, which you should be, you should be concerned about the scamvirus or the clunkerbug, so have any vehicle you're seriously considering checked out by a trusted mechanic. How many sad tales of a guy kicking himself begin with...
I’ve seen the Carfax and trust that it’s fine.
Either way they’re not budging on the price so it’s a moot point. Maybe I have a higher risk tolerance than you when it comes to buying cars. I haven’t been burned yet.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
121 Posts
I was at my local dealership today buying the power steering o ring, and I noticed an excellent condition 2007 Pilot EX-L 4WD on the lot. It has about 60,000 miles than my 2008. I looked it up, and read the Carfax. It has been very well maintained and the timing belt was done about 10,000 miles ago. It got me thinking...I will be needing to have my timing belt job done in the next month or so. Is there any chance I'd be able to trade my Pilot in, and get the 2007 for a couple thousand dollars? This dealer always has ridiculously high prices and tends to rip people off (especially when it comes to parts and service). They are asking about $7,800 before tax tag and title.
So, am I crazy and is it unrealistic to think I'd get a good deal, or should I just keep my current car and pay to have the timing belt job done (I will not attempt to do it myself). I like the idea of having the VTM-4 system. Thanks!

P.S- I think I have too much time on my hands right now and so thats why I am even considering crazy stuff like this.
Good ,independent mechanics are charging abt $700 for timing belt/water pump work here in MN. Better the Devil you know imho.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts