Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, my rear view camera seems to be fading ... or maybe it's my eyes that are going. I tried cleaning the camera lens and it got a little better but I might have to get a new camera ... or new eyes. Not sure which. Is it much of a job to change out the camera?

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2014 pilot seemed dim also and when I turn the dashboard lights up using the black dial by the cluster gauges it seemed to brighten it up. Or maybe my old eyes are also deceiving me, LOL. Hope this works.

Jr :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's your eyes. Wait a minute...Oh yeah... Definitely. It's definitely your eyes.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks good enough to back up with? Mine bit the dust and I ended up replacing it with a cheap Amazon replacement (documented here: 2013 Backup Camera Replacement ).
Thanks ... I will look for a more reasonably price replacement ... the Honda one costs more than I think it's worth. ($327.87!)
2009-2015 Honda PILOT 5-DOOR Camera Assembly, Rear-View 39530-SZA-A01 | Cheaper Honda Parts

Not a high priority ... I still have three working rear view mirrors. If I'm going to spend that kind of money maybe I'll get a rear and front dash/bumper cam ... or whatever they're called. Just in case I ever drive up to Canada and some guy tries to punch me out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So can you wire an aftermarket camera into the oem screen? My backup camera looks like crap all the time. Looks like the lense is covered in something but it's clean.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Maybe it's just getting dirty, you could always install one of these automatic camera covers.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe it's just getting dirty, you could always install one of these automatic camera covers.
View attachment 144554
Why would I put an automatic cover with a hole in it on the camera to keep it clean? I might put two of those on a pair of regular glasses for driving in bright sunlight kinda like those auto tint transition glasses.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Why would I put an automatic cover with a hole in it on the camera to keep it clean? I might put two of those on a pair of regular glasses for driving in bright sunlight kinda like those auto tint transition glasses.
This was just merely a suggestion.
A little spit on a tissue paper ever now and again has been working for me.

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And how old are you? Lasik doesn't fix macular degeneration or cataracts.
Turns out my eyes are ok. It's my brain (memory) that needs a fix. I found the solution to my pollution quite by accident pushing this button. My instinct is to not post this as I'm sure I'll regret it. But in my defense, I looked through the owner's manual and nowhere can I find where his button is labeled or defined. Tapping this innocuous looking little fella ....

instantly turned this:

into this:

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Turns out my eyes are ok. It's my brain (memory) that needs a fix. I found the solution to my pollution quite by accident pushing this button. My instinct is to not post this as I'm sure I'll regret it. But in my defense, I looked through the owner's manual and nowhere can I find where his button is labeled or defined. Tapping this innocuous looking little fella ....
View attachment 144566

instantly turned this:
View attachment 144567

into this:
View attachment 144568

Lol

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know. I even ordered a new camera.
There are sensors to switch the headlights on/off automatically ... you'd think with the hardware already in place it would be a simple thing to automatically adjust the main screen brightness too. My Garmin auto switches from day to night brightness automatically. Luckily I was able to cancel the ~$400 camera before it shipped..

·
Registered
180 Posts
There used to be a day when cars were not so complicated. You just got in, started the car, and drove. There was no screen to worry about the brightness. Sigh.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts