Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unlike the 1st Gen ..they are built like tanks ...so with the second Gen are they worth keeping ..

Thoughts?

·
Registered
154 Posts
A bridge I'm at right now. My first ever extended warranty on a vehicle purchase of HondaCare 8/120 has saved me from paying for the rack and pinion at about 70k, drivers seat frame(this is the fault of my fat a## not Honda) and recently at about 75K the rear propeller shaft. Add to that the things I paid for like the timing belt/water pump, new tires and plugs and part another part thinks I got most of the big stuff out of the way. I've had the VC muzzler on since about 60k and the engine seems tight with very little oil consumption. I think with the muzzler and new plugs I'm pretty safe from misfire, had the trans/transfer/rear diff fluid changed at 30K & 60k plus the first diff fluid change around 14k. Haven't had trouble with the control arm bushings and was almost hoping they would go while I still have until 7/31/19 with the Hondacare, maybe struts and brakes again but doesn't that cover all the major bases with these?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Tahoefever I have $3,500 in old GM credit card rebates too, scared to death to chance another GM. Would you buy the new Sierra with (GMs) Dynamic Fuel Management?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Unlike the 1st Gen ..they are built like tanks ...so with the second Gen are they worth keeping ..

Thoughts?
Yes... the early first gens suffered from horrendous transmission issues, the later 1st gens w/ VCM have the same issues the early 2nd gens have.

-The interior has a funky layout. But it works and is extremely utilitarian.
-The interior is not as luxurious as say my Traverse. But it has been extremely durable and it doesn't bother my wife at all.
-Especially on the '12+ models, most of the issues seem to be worked out. We are at 60k so far, it's been very reliable for us.

At the end of the day, we will be keeping our Pilot much longer than we keep the Traverse. I don't know of many new vehicles in the last 10 years that are absolutely bulletproof, so I accept the potential issues this one may have and move on. The guy who had the steering rack go up, that's not a common item to see go up on the forum so I don't worry about that at all.

Tahoefever I have $3,500 in old GM credit card rebates too, scared to death to chance another GM. Would you buy the new Sierra with (GMs) Dynamic Fuel Management?
My dad just bought a '20. It's an incredible machine and the DFM system is entirely imperceptible, but as with ANY vehicle I purchase I'd be looking to make sure it runs on all cylinders at all times, no cylinder deactivation and no start stop systems for me.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm mulling selling mine. It's been a reliable and functional vehicle but I'm just bored of it. Thinking about jumping ship to a Euro offering. Drove my friend's Alfa Romeo Stelvio over Christmas and man, what a beautiful machine!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I'm mulling selling mine. It's been a reliable and functional vehicle but I'm just bored of it. Thinking about jumping ship to a Euro offering. Drove my friend's Alfa Romeo Stelvio over Christmas and man, what a beautiful machine!
You think you see some bad reliability complaints on this forum, go read that Alfa forum for a minute or two!

I love the looks and am totally entranced by the pundits' writing on that machine. But if I were to go Euro in that size class (assuming not the QF model) I'd be looking real hard at the GLC300 (my mom's makes me fall in love every time I drive it) or a lower model Macan. The Q5 does nothing for me and the X3 is just another BMW rolled out for BMW fanboys, not impressed by the one my wife's aunt bought. Hell I'd even give the RDX a serious look with the style and the numbers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was looking at to GMs, a Chevrolet Colorado Crew Long bed Red Line edition or 2019 Cadillac XT5 FWD base, which is nicely equipped enough in base.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I was looking at to GMs, a Chevrolet Colorado Crew Long bed Red Line edition or 2019 Cadillac XT5 FWD base, which is nicely equipped enough in base.
I like the Colorado but the seat cushion was a little short for my long legs (I'm 6'3")... Most Cadillac's I've sat in recently aren't any more luxurious than the Buick or GMC Denali cousins, so I'd save a little money.

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
61 Posts
Beyond my daughter's Pilot that has me here, I also have a '10 MB GL550 that I bought used this past spring. It's not a winter machine for me as it came from the San Jose, CA area and has never been exposed to salt. I hope to own it for a long time as it has some options that I really love and it gobbles up the road effortlessly hauling all of us in genuine comfort. That said, it has a reputation for problems and German car parts and labor pricing. I bought it with no damage or repaint history for $500 more than my '13 Pilot this past fall. The MB was a nearly $100K car when new and the cost of ownership is directly tied to its massive depreciation. In good repair, it's an amazingly satisfying car to drive.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm coming up to the 100k mark on my 15 i'm tempted to jump ship while I still can ...she handles / runs like the first day I brought it home with 10 miles on the meter. I have been a Ford Bronco guy then switched to Tahoe's then i'm now upgraded to the suburban series i'm looking at the GMT900 series Nothing newer due to the crap they are now coming out with..I have crazy credits with GM myself being an ex employee and all even so i'm still afraid to purchases anything GM that's new out there.

I came across a Pilot a few days ago with 250k on the meter a 2012 ... go figure

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Beyond my daughter's Pilot that has me here, I also have a '10 MB GL550 that I bought used this past spring. It's not a winter machine for me as it came from the San Jose, CA area and has never been exposed to salt. I hope to own it for a long time as it has some options that I really love and it gobbles up the road effortlessly hauling all of us in genuine comfort. That said, it has a reputation for problems and German car parts and labor pricing. I bought it with no damage or repaint history for $500 more than my '13 Pilot this past fall. The MB was a nearly $100K car when new and the cost of ownership is directly tied to its massive depreciation. In good repair, it's an amazingly satisfying car to drive.
Having owned a Mercedes ML320 and experienced plenty of Mercedes in the family... they are special vehicles but you better have that wallet anchored to your body come repair time!

I'm coming up to the 100k mark on my 15 i'm tempted to jump ship while I still can ...she handles / runs like the first day I brought it home with 10 miles on the meter. I have been a Ford Bronco guy then switched to Tahoe's then i'm now upgraded to the suburban series i'm looking at the GMT900 series Nothing newer due to the crap they are now coming out with..I have crazy credits with GM myself being an ex employee and all even so i'm still afraid to purchases anything GM that's new out there.

I came across a Pilot a few days ago with 250k on the meter a 2012 ... go figure
So your Pilot runs great but you think it's plasticky and are afraid it's going to break because of the issues you see on this forum that occur to maybe 0.1% of 2012-2015 Pilots? I've been on a lot of forums over the years (look at my signature), every single one is riddled with complaints because that's where people go to bitch about their problems.

I am hotly anticipating the new Y/YXL debut... if they look anything like the new Sierra I'm all on board for a YXL with the 6.2 to replace my Traverse in a couple years.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Tahoe/Cinto both interesting points. Like I said with all the aggressive maintenance by me and the HondaCare paying out on a couple of significant claims, I should be good to go for the next 3 to 4 years with maybe compliance bushings at some point and brakes.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Tahoe/Cinto both interesting points. Like I said with all the aggressive maintenance by me and the HondaCare paying out on a couple of significant claims, I should be good to go for the next 3 to 4 years with maybe compliance bushings at some point and brakes.
I would think so! I see no reason our Pilot won't last us at least 5 years. It runs great, I have the VCM disabled and I changed the fluids on the severe service interval. Sure, changing a timing belt sucks but I knew that when buying a J35 vehicle. Bushings and rubber parts go bad on every vehicle, so I don't find that to be as big of a deal as others on the forum.

Maintain it, clean it, enjoy it. At the very least I think the 2nd gen Pilot looks cooler than most 3 rows (my wife and I both love the boxy look) and we have 8 seats for any time we need them.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Tahoefever I have $3,500 in old GM credit card rebates too, scared to death to chance another GM.
If you don't want to lose the GM credit card earnings, you could apply them to a lease and lease the new vehicle for only as long as the warranty coverage lasts.
Or, buy a GM vehicle - maybe including an extended warranty - and then either sell or trade it in when the warranty coverage expires.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Maintain it, clean it, enjoy it. At the very least I think the 2nd gen Pilot looks cooler than most 3 rows (my wife and I both love the boxy look) and we have 8 seats for any time we need them.
Cinto I agree, look at the red hot Kia Telluride, styling cues look familiar?

I also agree if I have to dump another $1500 -$2000 into it over the next four years, I am very familiar with the very real depreciation rates for just about anything with 4 wheels and an engine. Add a zero to both of those estimated maintenance costs for four or five year new car depreciation! Besides, Wifey and I are going to try to get the mortgage retired early.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Cinto I agree, look at the red hot Kia Telluride, styling cues look familiar?

I also agree if I have to dump another $1500 -$2000 into it over the next four years, I am very familiar with the very real depreciation rates for just about anything with 4 wheels and an engine. Add a zero to both of those estimated maintenance costs for four or five year new car depreciation! Besides, Wifey and I are going to try to get the mortgage retired early.
True, the Telluride is absolutely crushing it right now. But look at the interior too... you get the style with the latest tech and style and premium materials... hard to fault much on that vehicle unless you are just a Hyundai/Kia hater (plenty of them out there).

The only car I will make money on is my '61 Impala, but even then I am careful about how money is spent. But classics can be a good investment if you don't buy $10,000 crate engines and what-not. We need the Pilot and Traverse to last us at least another 3, hopefully 5 years. Get my wife through PA school, pay off her loans, get us out of the sardine single family neighborhood (.25 acre lots) then we can move to different vehicles. Knowing my wife, she won't get rid of the Pilot until it's worth less than the repair so I'll be first to upgrade.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So i Just read that the Eco diesel WILL NOT be available for the 2021 Z71 series trucks ...That sucks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts