Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I visit this forum, I see more people complaining about their vehicle. All vehicles are good when it is new. The problems occur as we use it more. The new probelm I see is many people have complained about paint peeling off. I have owned many cars before, but in general the paint start peeling off only when the car gets old.. not when it is new (<= 2 year). Other silly problems like ratlting noise, seat belt problems, unexpected low gas millage yada..yada..yada... so I am starting to think.. Is Honda Pilot really a quality car or is it just a hype...?
Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I think we just have a forum to complain about every little thing in, and we will. Maybe mostly to feel like we're not the only ones out there with the problems.
I have owned GM automobiles, and there is no way I'd have time to complain about those cars in a forum like this.
I think it's giving potential buyers the wrong idea, really.
If I'd never found this place, I'd never know about all the other problems.
I'm loving my Pilot :)

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Go to the board discussing the Ford Explorer or Chevy Trailblazer and read through those posts. You'll see owners griping about some very very serious quality, safety and driveability issues.

What you see here is a group of very passionate owners who demand very high quality, as we should. The reality is that most of the "problems" discussed here are minor annoyances; the Honda Pilot is a superb vehicle of high quality.

·
Registered
747 Posts
But paint peeling off?

Never see that happen on a newer Japanese car. If that really happen on a one year old pilot, I think that's a serious problem already.
:mad:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
pilot007 said:
The more I visit this forum, I see more people complaining about their vehicle. All vehicles are good when it is new. The problems occur as we use it more. The new probelm I see is many people have complained about paint peeling off. I have owned many cars before, but in general the paint start peeling off only when the car gets old.. not when it is new (<= 2 year). Other silly problems like ratlting noise, seat belt problems, unexpected low gas millage yada..yada..yada... so I am starting to think.. Is Honda Pilot really a quality car or is it just a hype...?
Your thoughts?
Well all you have to do is find the best "Non-Quality Vehicle" then see if it is better or worse than the Pilot. :2:

·
Registered
495 Posts
First Generation Factor

Even though the Pilot is based on other established Honda/Acura vehicles, don't forget that this is the first year of its release. I'm thinking a lot of these minor issues should get ironed out in '04 and beyond.

I'd put my money on Honda any day.

·
Registered
393 Posts
pilot007,

We think the Pilot is made of good quality and have loved it for 4 months now. Although there are reports of problems here, we use this forum to find ways of resolving them and often finding out they are VERY trivial and most car owners wouldn't even think to take it into the dealer to get fixed.

This forum allows us to educate each other on tricks of the trade as well as the inner workings of our new Pilots. I think you will find that the Pilot will give you the "most bang for the buck" in this SUV saturated market.

·
Registered
148 Posts
04 Maxima vs Pilot - Quality

I have an 03 Pilot EXL-RES and an 04 Maxima SE
Not a real cool comparo, but here goes:

Initial overall Quality....Honda wins 2 defects vs 5 for the Max
Paint...about a tie...Silver splotchies on the Pilot. Hair in Max paint.
Interior fit/finish....Pilot wins.
Exterior fit/finish...Pilot 'cause the Max doors seem "hung"
Engine...Max wins...more smooth transition of cam lobes and torque.
Trans...Pilot wins...Max is just too rough shifting
Road noise...Max by a long shot.
Turning radius....Pilot by a long shot
Stereo....Max by far
Fun to drive...tie...but altogether different reasons.
I won't compare performance and "utility". Not fair!
Selling Dealer....Max by far
Servicing Dealer....Honda by far.

By the way...had my Silver Pilot next to a Silver Murano. Wow...the Murano Paint job blew the Pilot away. Brighter...and NO splotchies.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have one of the earlier Pilot's and while I made my complaints for the most part they were inconveniences/ me being hardnosed about my product. Had I been this critical with any of my American cars it would have been a waste of breath. I am now at 15+k and have not had any major issues. My probe for instance sounded like a rattle trap by 6K, had starting issues at 21k, and was gladly traded for an Accord by 59k. My biggest complaint was my Silver paint which I still think they could do better with. But overall, I would not trade it over a year later.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I bought my Pilot in the last week of June 2002. After 10,000 miles, the only complaint I've had in terms of quality is the second row air vent covers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The real test will be how the Pilot holds up over the long haul. I have had a few complaints like others, but nothing major. If I am still driving it at 100,000 miles with no major mechancial failures, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
483 Posts
pilot007 said:
Your thoughts?
I know what you are saying, I was thinking the same thing when reading threads like " Pet Peeves " or the "problems" forum, but as Jay stated, we expect high quality and I believe we got it.

As for the peeling paint, thats the first that I've heard about that. Exactly where is the paint peeling from?

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Re: 04 Maxima vs Pilot - Quality

mikmax1 said:
I have an 03 Pilot EXL-RES and an 04 Maxima SE
Not a real cool comparo, but here goes:

By the way...had my Silver Pilot next to a Silver Murano. Wow...the Murano Paint job blew the Pilot away. Brighter...and NO splotchies.
the problem is that the splotchiy paint is not on every vehicle...my pilot has a perfect paint finish....

·
Registered
34 Posts
We purchased ours in May of 2002 and have approx 19K miles on it. It has been better quality than many of our other (non Honda) vehicles. The only real issue I have is with the rear vents but I am sure they will resolve that soon enough.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Did they collapse in? Mine did this, (both sides) and the dealership put them back in for me, and they haven't collapsed since. I was thinking that they probably were never correctly installed at the factory, but it wasn't noticeable until they caved in. I have 2 boys that probably hit them, but I was hoping for more durability.

Is this what your vent issue is too?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have only had mine for about 6 weeks and 2500 miles, but I am very happy with it. Only 2 minor issues. The right rear strut started making a squeaking noise and the 2nd row seat one of the seams started coming out. Both of these were fixed by the dealer with no hassle. The Pilot is bigger, rides smoother, is quieter, is quicker, has better build quality, better gas mileage, and a bigger engine than the Mazda Tribute we traded in on it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
jrex said:
I have only had mine for about 6 weeks and 2500 miles, but I am very happy with it. Only 2 minor issues. The right rear strut started making a squeaking noise and the 2nd row seat one of the seams started coming out. Both of these were fixed by the dealer with no hassle. The Pilot is bigger, rides smoother, is quieter, is quicker, has better build quality, better gas mileage, and a bigger engine than the Mazda Tribute we traded in on it.
How obvious was your squeaking strut noise?? IOW, how did you diagnose this???

·
Registered
192 Posts
MG Pilot said:

How obvious was your squeaking strut noise?? IOW, how did you diagnose this???
Not too loud at all. Could only be heard with the radio off and windows down. Took it back to the dealer and they diagnosed it by pushing down on the rear bumper and they heard it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quality

I've had more problems that I expected. Some I just live with and don't bother to go back to the dealer. And this with a new vehicle. Things tend to get worse with age. So we will see.
Did I expect this BS - nope.

The 3 year study recently published for 2000 model year definitely indicates Honda's quality slipping. Behind Cadillac, Buick, Lincoln and a number of others. As I recall it's around 8 or 10th place.

Pilot wasn't in the study but the study likely represents the overall quality of their vehicles.

I have no dedication to any particular brand and generally buy based on quality history. I moved away from Ford when I bought this and am thinking twice. No question this thing has had more defects in 1 year than the 3 Fords I've owned combined.

And maybe if I stayed with Ford it would have been much worse but that doesn't make this situation any better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Quality

lamuncha said:
I've had more problems that I expected. Some I just live with and don't bother to go back to the dealer. And this with a new vehicle. Things tend to get worse with age. So we will see.
Did I expect this BS - nope.

I moved away from Ford when I bought this and am thinking twice. No question this thing has had more defects in 1 year than the 3 Fords I've owned combined.

And maybe if I stayed with Ford it would have been much worse but that doesn't make this situation any better.

I really can't argue with your evaluation of your own Honda or Fords for that matter, I just want to state that my experience with Fords & Hondas is completely different.

My Ford Sport Trak was hands down the worst car I have ever owned (even though I still like the looks). I won't bore you with details unless you ask.

The Honda Pilot I have replaced it with rides better, gets better mileage, better interior, better ergonomics, has way more head room (I could go on, but I won't) -- and was cheaper. The only problem that concerned me was having to replace the PS pump b/c the dealer forgot to fill up the resevoir after putting on my towing package. Dealer fixed it in two days. In other words, MY Ford had several more defects than MY Honda even with that problem.

This vehicle is of sound quality, most of the brands it falls behind are more expensive to purchase and own. There is always a trade. If you expect perfection and zero defects - get real. It isn't gonna happen most of the time (even if you spend a fortune). It just seems this board is getting full of people stating the negatives about this vehicle when the vast majority know it to be different.

I like my Pilot - damn good SUV. Beats the heck out of the Fords I've driven and I'm pretty proud of it. I'd buy another one tomorrow if it wouldn't look so strange in the garage.

Ted

1 - 20 of 23 Posts