Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an '07 last year, and the dealer (at an oil change, they had a package deal) said I needed a new timing belt. I replaced the tensioner and the rattle they mentioned went away. Old one was super weak. While I was there I checked out the timing belt and saw this print. I assume this was replaced recently, else the print would be wearing off, and this looks quite new. Also, it appears that the dealer did the work, or a good shop that bought an OEM timing belt. Am I right?

Also, I adjusted my valves (all of the intake valves were off!) and the Catalytic Converter Below Threshold code went away! It appears it was just on because the valves were so off that bad exhaust was coming through and it tripped the cat sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
I may be wrong but since the TB is covered, the prints on the belt tend to look fairly new. If you think the same dealer that sold you the vehicle changed the belt, why don't you just ask him about it?

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you don't have a service history, the wise course is to assume the belt was not changed. What is the mileage? It is possible that a belt well over 100k miles could still be functioning---until it fails. You said that you replaced the tensioner because it was noisy. That's a sign of many miles. Of course, you are free to roll the dice and skip the service. You may have to pay for engine repair if the belt breaks. Totally your call, but if the mileage indicates that it's time, I would change out the belt.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'm with STMech on this one. The cost of a new TB vs the cost of a new engine. Easy choice for me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well shucks. I'm facing tires and a timing belt within the same month in a student budget (aka constantly operating in the red). Tis why I ask. The Pilot is at 125,000 miles, pushing 130,000.

Wouldn't the idler pulleys that the belt wraps around remove the print eventually?

Any tips on how to find a service history if there was no physical copy in the glove box when I bought it? Would a Honda dealer keep records of VIN numbers serviced? I know what city the last oenwer lived in so I could call around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For service history, download the mycarfax app. Add your car and vin and go to the service history tab. If the shop put it in the database, it will be there. Best and easiest way to get service history but only if the shop added it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Also VIOC.com uses carfax mx history for free. Go to the website, find a local store then scroll down to where it says "Get Your Free Service History Report". If someone had the belt done at a shop it will be reported w/ the mileage/date.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts