Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 09 Pilot makes a whining noise when the wheel is turned. It happens mostly at low speeds and even while stationary when the wheel is turned either direction. I can't really tell if it at speed but it is pretty loud below 10 mph and loudest at a stop. It is also accompanied with a slight rumbling. The PS fluid is full BTW. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 09 Pilot makes a whining noise when the wheel is turned. It happens mostly at low speeds and even while stationary when the wheel is turned either direction. I can't really tell if it at speed but it is pretty loud below 10 mph and loudest at a stop. It is also accompanied with a slight rumbling. The PS fluid is full BTW. Any suggestions?
It could be as simple as a bad O-ring.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/14-problems/28436-power-steering-problem-2006-pilot.html#post371152

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just changed the PS fluid. First time it's been changed in 100,000 miles. Did a total flush and put around 20oz into the reservoir and pump. Turns a lot smoother but I still have a whining and rumbling sound only when I turn to the right while stationary. Nothing really when I turn to the left. I had no bubbling so I have no reason to believe I have a bad o-ring. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'd still look at changing the o-ring first, as it's pretty cheap and relatively simple to do. It sure costs a lot less and requires less effort than changing out the power steering pump. Even if the pump is truly the culprit, you wouldn't have too much time and money invested in the first fix attempt. You can't say that if you replaced the pump first and the o-ring was the actual cause of the noises.

My brother had an issue with noisy power steering a while back on his Acura TL. The stealership service dept. recommended replacing his power steering pump for a good amount of money. I told him to try the o-ring first. He's not all that mechanically inclined, but he replaced the o-ring himself and the steering noises went away.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My power steering pump was noisy too. Definitely sounded like air in the system. I replaced the pump suction inlet o-ring, Honda # 91345-R70-A11. The clamp bolt is a little tricky but once you break it loose it comes right out. Replacing the o-ring solved my issue, no more air in the system.

Thank you for the tip.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Check the reservoir for air. If the pump is sucking in air you will have bubbles and froth in the reservoir. My neighbor's 2009 Oddy had this and the wheel was extremely hard to turn. The O ring replacement fixed the issue along with flushing the PS system. Mine has the same symptom. You don't have the noise when you give it some gas or are moving. No leaks that I can tell and no air in the system. I am thinking a possible issue with the accessory drive belt slipping which could either be the belt or the tensioner. 128K on my 2011 EXL. Flushed the PS system back in August and made little difference.

Cost for this repair would be around 200 bucks for a new tensioner and accessory belt. I am living with the noise for now. I may try the o rings as a cheap fix but don't have much faith that they will resolve the issue. Mine really became pronounced after I changed the timing belt and replaced the accessory drive belt in January.

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
When refilling did you turn the steering wheel from lock to lock. This helps eliminates bubbles of air. Its very rare to have a pump go out.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Mine is more of a rumbling near the left or right stop and more pronounced when done while the engine is at idle speed. Give it a bit of gas and you don't get the noise. None of the PS pump whine you hear when the pump is going out or sucking air. When I put in the new reservoir and flushed the system, I did the turns full to the stops to purge air and made sure there were no bubbles in the fluid. No sediment in the filter screen either.

Optimusprime sounds like his may be sucking air and the O-rings on the 2009 are know to have issues. I would start with the O-rings. If that fixes it, great if not, I would look to make sure that the filter in the reservoir is not clogged and starving the pump of fluid. I replaced mine when I flushed the system. A replacement with new cap was under 20 bucks.

OR, you can go to a mechanic / dealer and have them pressure test the system to see if they can pinpoint the exact component having the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem when I replaced the serpentine belt with aftermarket brand. When I changed it out with the Honda belt it was night and day and back to normal....maybe this might help

·
Registered
22 Posts
Since late summer (when I got my 2010 Pilot EX-L back from my niece) I had been hearing a whining sound in sync with engine speed. A couple of weeks back I checked under the hood and the noise seemed to be coming from the power steering pump. My fluid level seemed OK and I didn't have any other symptoms indicating a bad pump. Over the thanksgiving week, I took a road trip from SF-Bay Area to San Diego (about 500 miles one way). The noise got worse during the one-day drive and at a gas stop I noticed that the reservoir was more full than when I started (the contents were a little frothy). Once in San Diego I decided to take it into the shop.. On the way there, while navigating surface streets, the "power" in the steering started to fail intermittently. Their diagnosis was that the bearing failed (the noise) and that the reservoir was overflowing (I guess from sucking air into the system). It was in the shop a couple of days (mostly waiting for the part).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having similar issues. I have an 09 Pilot Touring. Mine doesn’t make any whining noise but more of a rattling noise from the power steering pump when the car is in gear, and turning the steering wheel while at idle. I am getting air bubbles in my reservoir while it makes the rattling noise. I have replaced the o rings once already at the PS pump and no change. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2009 makes a lot of steering-related noises when cold and in drive. At temp it's fine. I've replaced the o-ring, did a flush, then replaced the whole steering pump to no avail. Recently replaced the timing belt, timing tensioner, water pump, etc. (not because of the noise but due to mileage interval), put it all back together, got same noise. Although the accessory belt tensioner looked fine, I'm thinking it is tensioner related and has nothing to do with the steering specifically. Steering just puts more pressure on the belt and tensioner so that's when it makes noise.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My 2009 makes a lot of steering-related noises when cold and in drive. At temp it's fine. I've replaced the o-ring, did a flush, then replaced the whole steering pump to no avail. Recently replaced the timing belt, timing tensioner, water pump, etc. (not because of the noise but due to mileage interval), put it all back together, got same noise. Although the accessory belt tensioner looked fine, I'm thinking it is tensioner related and has nothing to do with the steering specifically. Steering just puts more pressure on the belt and tensioner so that's when it makes noise.
Mine became noticeable when I did timing belt service. I am guessing this is due to the use of a Bando branded belt (which was recommended here) or the tensioner is just aging. I should just try swapping out the belt for a different brand and see if that changes anything. The aftermarket tensioner (Continental) is $100. I probably should just order one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts