Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no label saying so on the battery, nor any description in the owners manual. But for the life of me I can not see how you would open it to check the electrolyte levels. Frankly, I've never seen a car battery that looks like this. The most recent battery check I had done a couple of weeks ago came back as a "good battery" but given its age and lack of any maintenance by me, I am starting to wonder how much usable life is left in it.

IMG_2158.JPG IMG_2159.JPG

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
There is no label saying so on the battery, nor any description in the owners manual. But for the life of me I can not see how you would open it to check the electrolyte levels. Frankly, I've never seen a car battery that looks like this. The most recent battery check I had done a couple of weeks ago came back as a "good battery" but given its age and lack of any maintenance by me, I am starting to wonder how much usable life is left in it.

View attachment 142450 View attachment 142451
3rd generation Pilots come equipped with an absorbed glass-mat (AGM) battery. Not serviceable. 4-5 years old, time for a new one.
Just a word of caution... Some aftermarket batteries are slightly shorter and the battery post don't quite stick up through the battery box lid enough to get a tight fit on the battery terminals. I recommend battery post shims.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Just a word of caution... Some aftermarket batteries are slightly shorter and the battery post don't quite stick up through the battery box lid enough to get a tight fit on the battery terminals. I recommend battery post shims.
View attachment 142461
Or, simply reform the clamps for a tighter fit onto the battery terminals.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3rd generation Pilots come equipped with an absorbed glass-mat (AGM) battery. Not serviceable. 4-5 years old, time for a new one.
You are right about the battery post. The darn top cover sits high enough its a struggle getting the negative terminal down far enough for a tight fit. The positive one seemed to fit okay. I'm still confused on what type of battery it is. It could be an AGM battery, but there is nothing on it identifying it as such. There is a label on the cover saying it is a 12V FLA Battery, which as far as I can determine do require periodic maintenance like topping off the water level. But I can't see any vent caps for that unless I pry off the handle housing to see if they are under it, which I'm reluctant to do.

IMG_2161.JPG

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
You are right about the battery post. The darn top cover sits high enough its a struggle getting the negative terminal down far enough for a tight fit. The positive one seemed to fit okay. I'm still confused on what type of battery it is. It could be an AGM battery, but there is nothing on it identifying it as such. There is a label on the cover saying it is a 12V FLA Battery, which as far as I can determine do require periodic maintenance like topping off the water level. But I can't see any vent caps for that unless I pry off the handle housing to see if they are under it, which I'm reluctant to do.

View attachment 142463
I was certain that these vehicles were originally equipped with AGM. Those top caps should pry off on a FLA.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have fairly new smart charger, but was hoping to top off the fluid levels after all these years before using it on this battery.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've come to the conclusion that this is a non-serviceable battery. I noticed the outline of vent plugs underneath the label on the battery top. So I picked away at one to see what I had. It was a chore. Clearly not meant for DIY access. Fortunately the battery charger only took 3 hours to show a full charge indication. I guess I can live with all this.:cautious:

IMG_2173.JPG

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
I was certain that these vehicles were originally equipped with AGM. Those top caps should pry off on a FLA.
I believe that only the upper end Pilots come with the AGM. Those with Navigation and all the upgraded electronics auto idle stop etc. The LX and some EX models I believe have flood acid. I could be wrong about that. The 2nd Gen Passport sport and LX models come with flood acid.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The 6-speed transmission Pilot have the FLA flooded battery. The 9-speed has auto-idle start, requires the AGM battery.

Reactions: Nail Grease
1 - 10 of 10 Posts