Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on a Nighthawk Black EX for sticker of 29,849 (includes destination charge and mud flaps.)

I started out offering $28,000 and demanded a great trade-in price for my 96 corolla. After a bit of back and forth I landed on $28,500 and a fair trade-in price (right around Edmunds for clean condition).

Sales guy is calling back tomorrow, not sure why. I think he wants to do the deal but thinks he has a better chance with the sales mgr tomorrow.

Is this a good deal? It's on the lot waiting for me.

Is the two-seat side in the back not folding perfectly flat a common problem? I noticed this and he said they'd fix it.

What kind of add-ons to the price can I expect and what is negotiable?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
krambrain said:
This is on a Nighthawk Black EX for sticker of 29,849 (includes destination charge and mud flaps.)

I started out offering $28,000 and demanded a great trade-in price for my 96 corolla. After a bit of back and forth I landed on $28,500 and a fair trade-in price (right around Edmunds for clean condition).

Sales guy is calling back tomorrow, not sure why. I think he wants to do the deal but thinks he has a better chance with the sales mgr tomorrow.

Is this a good deal? It's on the lot waiting for me.

Is the two-seat side in the back not folding perfectly flat a common problem? I noticed this and he said they'd fix it.

What kind of add-ons to the price can I expect and what is negotiable?

Thanks!
Sounds like a decent deal - assuming they are being fair on the trade-in value. Both the single and the two-seat-side fold the same on mine - "almost" flat (assuming you are talking about the 2nd row seats).

By add-ons, I assume you are talking about documentation fees. These can run anywhere from 0 to $150 around here.

EVERYTHING is negotiable!!!

:2: :2:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Where are you located? I paid almost $3000 under msrp....less than $350 above invoice. But, the price really changes with geographical regions. My area was MSRP or MSRP+, so I drove to Ohio for the weekend to get mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where in Ohio did you buy? And at what dealer? Sounds like you got the best deal I've heard in a while.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I'm brand new at this. Thanks for all the freat info.
I've been looking and researching Pilots for a few months now. Pilot or the new Sienna. Did I say minivan? Yikes.
I saw the dealer for the 3rd time today and we did some numbers. We came to this for a silver EX-L RES on the lot (for at least 3 weeks already, I drove it back then):
$30685
+ 530 protection package (inside and out) and F+B mudflaps
Total is $31215. This includes shipping of 480. Edmunds TMV is 31776 +530 would be 32306. So, I'm still a 1100 below that.

I figure it is really $1795 below MSRP. 32480 +530 with the prot. package which would make MSRP 33010. Am I right? Is this prot. package just another money maker for them? It is already on the car.

Then I want to add:
running boards 549 + they say 160 for install.
fog lights 389 + 400
cargo liner 205
separation net 99
wheel locks 59
total accessories = 1861
adds up to : 33076

Then I add my 7% (ouch) taxes + t + t. That should be it.
Does that sound like a good deal? How much room do I have for negotiating the accessories? Should I try lower with the base price, esp. if the car is still on the lot on Monday?
Honda's got a financing deal through Monday at 2.9% (I can get 3.9 at my bank though).
ANy thoughts would be appreciated.
Oh, this is in Augusta (Disgusta), GA. Sorry, had to let that out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If the Pilot has been on the lot for a while I would not accept anything less than $2000.00 under MSRP and I suspect you could get it for a little less.

Make sure you don't include the protection package in your total. Tell the dealer it has no value to you so you are not going to pay a dime for it no matter what he says.

You have all this going for you; end of month, holiday weekend, no snow in sight, and the dealer is always hungry.

Remeber, you are not buying, you have money and they are trying to get it from you in exchage for something where you control its value.

Pick a number, say $2500.00 under invoice. Be prepared to walk at $2000.00 under or what ever you are comfortable with. Make one and only one counter offer, your final offer.

Take a caluculator and note pad with you (like the dealer has) and write down the price you are willing to pay. Make sure this is your best offer including all fees, accessories, and sales tax.

Work your financing only after a final selling price is accepted.

Finally, be prepared to head for the exit if you are not happy. As soon as you get out of the "hot seat" the saleman will magically talk to the manager and see what he can do. Don't be surprised how this works, but it does. Don't act angry. Just say sorry that we can't do business today and head for the door.

You must hide your body language at all cost or none of this will work to your advantage. A poker face works best.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Following up on bcclements' post, if you have a trade-in, give them a spare set of keys to use to evaluate it, if you reach that stage. That way you can still leave on your terms, and not wait forever for them to "find" your keys. Usually, your keys magically reappear when they see that you don't need them to leave.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bill said:
Where in Ohio did you buy? And at what dealer? Sounds like you got the best deal I've heard in a while.

Thanks!
We just bought our EX Sage Brush Pearl from Park Honda in Akron for $27,200. Ask for Tom Baringer, Internet Sales Manager. I did the deal in less than 20 minutes over the phone. Tom was great and the purchase could not have less painful - well, except for that deer on the Ohio Turnpike, but that's another story :3:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks.
Now when you say 2500 or 2000 below MSRP, not paying a dime for the prot. package, are you including the shipping charges of 480 or is that another thing to not pay for?
How about the doc fees of $99? I've heard $49 mentioned here, if anything at all.
You are saying, I should come up with a grand total number starting at 2500-2000 below MSRP plus everything else, access. + install, TT+T, etc. and make that my final bottom line.
We will not trade in because we wouldn't get squat from the dealer.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yes, the $480 is legitimate. That is included in the MSRP for the model you are looking at. I would look at Edmunds for the invoice price and work up from there. Get the price set for the basic car, then start working on the accessories. It is easier to know what the car costs before adding things. They can make up a ton of profits in the accessories. I worked from invoice.....hadn't thought too much about how much off MSRP the car was..... Turns out it was about $3000.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I notice that a couple of you guys got great deals in Ohio. I wonder if they are willing to ship a car to NY? The best deal I can get here is $500 under MSRP. Just a thought..... :1zhelp:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check out edmunds honda pilot owners discussions

Go to the honda owner discussions at Edmunds.com. There is a Pilot owners' forum entitled "Pilot Owners: what did you pay?" in which buying from dealers in Ohio has been a major topic of discussion.

Apparently there a quite a few people from your area that have done this and claim to have paid around $700 over invoice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I purchased a Silver EX-L over the weeked for $1000 over invoice. Took 4 hours and had to walk away once. Got a new one too, still wraped in plastic. I'll pick it up on Tuesday. Woo hoo.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok, so I found a dealer willing to do $500 over invoice (including dest) for an EXL.. problem for me is that Michigan is a bit far from NH where I live.

I have priced out getting it delivered to my house, roughly $600.

Priced out flying a friend and I to Michigan, about $350... then driving the 10 hours back as a road trip.

So tried about a dozen dealers already in the New England area (internet)... either msrp or the absolute best about $1000 under msrp. I even tried to get them to give me a better price.... and everyone said go buy it for $500 over invoice...

So I am thinking this week I will try my hand at seeing if I can get it closer to home for $1000 over invoice period... seeing that it is the end of the month.... I figure maybe the internet sales people might not be as aggressive as the sales guys at the dealership...

Anyone, got any better ideas.... I think $1000 dollars over invoice is extremely reasonable in New England... not to mention that if you were a dealership it is better to get the sale then lose it even if you think you could wait and get more... they can always sell another car to the next guy for retail.

Brutus.

·
Registered
23 Posts
laso82 said:
I notice that a couple of you guys got great deals in Ohio. I wonder if they are willing to ship a car to NY? The best deal I can get here is $500 under MSRP. Just a thought..... :1zhelp:
Tom Baringer at Park Honda told me that he ships cars all over the country, including to NY.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input here. The Edmunds msg board is very informative, but I'm so leary of buying a car sight unseen. I know I'm the ultimate worry wart, but this does make me kinda nervous.... I'll have to give this more serious thought before I can decide.... :confused:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Laso: You can go and get it in Ohio! We did that for the same reason. I was worried about having it shipped. You can make your deal, place a deposit, but not pay until after you get there, test drive, and inspect the car. All the dealers I talked with were very willing to pick me up at the airport if I wanted to fly in. Other options are renting a car one way, or driving with someone and bringing 2 cars home. Not a bad weekend trip to save maybe $3000.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I purchased a Black EX-L this weekend. After about four hours, I got it for $1500 under MSRP and managed to get another $500 for my trade-in. I'm happy enough with the deal.

Of course, it helped that I was also getting an S2000 for my wife at the same time. I didn't expect to get anything off MSRP for that car so I just tried to get as low as I could for the Pilot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I see some people are paying close to 400$ to have the fog lights installed. Dealer is installing them for free. I may have only got 600 off msrp, but between that and 1000 over book for my trade, I am happy., especaily in New York.

·
Registered
483 Posts
jay said:
Following up on bcclements' post, if you have a trade-in, give them a spare set of keys to use to evaluate it, if you reach that stage. That way you can still leave on your terms, and not wait forever for them to "find" your keys. Usually, your keys magically reappear when they see that you don't need them to leave.
I've seen this happen twice before at 2 different dealerships, pretty kinky way of doing business.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts