Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
It's heavy, it's awkward, it's a bit of a bear lining it up under the car when retracting it back into place
You are certainly correct about that. However, consider that lowering and raising it at least once a year allows you to "activate" and verify the hoist, so that it doesn't rust into becoming nonoperational when you most need it when you get a flat. Had to replace my hoist for that exact reason, as PO most likely had never done it. I lower and remove my full size spare when I go in for rustproofing.

spare tire will not come down

Spare tire won't drop

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yes, I thought of that and planned on lowering it once a year. I have some chain and cable grease I plan on using again when I lower it.

I had actually run over a spare tire which dropped from a Ford F150 years ago. It happened as we pulled away from a red light. My car had damage of about $1200.00 to the front end. The other driver did in fact stop and his insurance paid. His cable had rusted out!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I don't know for sure on the Pilot but I assume it has a good center lifting point like on my Odyssey and Accord
That's what I use on my '15. And every other vehicle that has one.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I changed my oil yesterday because I had some free time. I bought Mobil1 high mileage synthetic and a Wix filter (I can’t remember what type). All of that including a crush washer was $45. While I was laying on the ground doing it myself I thought, although I enjoy doing it, I am not saving any money. In fact, when you factor in driving to get supplies, getting everything ready and cleanup, I could have taken it to my mechanic. Oh well, sometimes I like to do it just so I know I can.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I changed my oil yesterday because I had some free time. I bought Mobil1 high mileage synthetic and a Wix filter (I can’t remember what type). All of that including a crush washer was $45. While I was laying on the ground doing it myself I thought, although I enjoy doing it, I am not saving any money. In fact, when you factor in driving to get supplies, getting everything ready and cleanup, I could have taken it to my mechanic. Oh well, sometimes I like to do it just so I know I can.
You generally cannot get a Mobil1 synthetic oil change for $45, comparing apples to apples. Those start at around $60. But you can find a bulk brand synthetic blend oil change for around $45. So you did save some money. But you are right, it really comes down to the type of person, and if they enjoy maintaining their vehicle or not. Spread over the life of the vehicle, we aren't talking a huge amount of money here.

Plan ahead, and it is WAY cheaper. I buy 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 synthetic for $14 after rebate, which they run once or twice a year: Mobil™ oil coupons, rebates and offers | Mobil™ Motor Oils
I buy the Honda OEM filters with crush washer on ebay in bulk (from reliable sellers) for $6-7. So for $21 nobody is going to as good of a job as I will, with Mobile1 oil and OEM filter.

If you don't want to mess with a rebate, use SuperTech full synthetic oil from WalMart. It is low cost, meets the spec required and is considered a quality full synthetic oil by insiders, at least as good as whatever canister oil you might get at a quickie change place.

I also change the transmission fluid every other oil change, since I am already down there, with a drain pan, and it is stupid easy to do. This costs me $35 in fluid, which saves me about $65 over what it would cost normally.

I use the time that it is draining, to check the battery terminals for corrosion, inspect the condition of the wipers, inspect the air filter and cabin filter, check the spool valve area for leaks near the alternator, inspect the drive belt, check coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and top up the windshield washer fluid.

Reactions: Jack Vogt

·
Registered
585 Posts
You generally cannot get a Mobil1 synthetic oil change for $45, comparing apples to apples. Those start at around $60. But you can find a bulk brand synthetic blend oil change for around $45. So you did save some money. But you are right, it really comes down to the type of person, and if they enjoy maintaining their vehicle or not. Spread over the life of the vehicle, we aren't talking a huge amount of money here.

Plan ahead, and it is WAY cheaper. I buy 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 synthetic for $14 after rebate, which they run once or twice a year: Mobil™ oil coupons, rebates and offers | Mobil™ Motor Oils
I buy the Honda OEM filters with crush washer on ebay in bulk (from reliable sellers) for $6-7. So for $21 nobody is going to as good of a job as I will, with Mobile1 oil and OEM filter.

If you don't want to mess with a rebate, use SuperTech full synthetic oil from WalMart. It is low cost, meets the spec required and is considered a quality full synthetic oil by insiders, at least as good as whatever canister oil you might get at a quickie change place.

I also change the transmission fluid every other oil change, since I am already down there, with a drain pan, and it is stupid easy to do. This costs me $35 in fluid, which saves me about $65 over what it would cost normally.

I use the time that it is draining, to check the battery terminals for corrosion, inspect the condition of the wipers, inspect the air filter and cabin filter, check the spool valve area for leaks near the alternator, inspect the drive belt, check coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and top up the windshield washer fluid.
Hmm...I need to be more savvy about all of this. Haha. I have taken advantage of a few rebates before so I'll need to keep my eyes open. I do know a few places in my area that charge $90 for a Mobil1 oil change which is crazy!
I'm always nervous to change my transmission fluid because I can never get the dang fill bolt off without a TON of effort. How do I keep it from getting so darn tight?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hmm...I need to be more savvy about all of this. Haha. I have taken advantage of a few rebates before so I'll need to keep my eyes open. I do know a few places in my area that charge $90 for a Mobil1 oil change which is crazy!
I'm always nervous to change my transmission fluid because I can never get the dang fill bolt off without a TON of effort. How do I keep it from getting so darn tight?
I know what you mean. I barely snug it up, but the dissimilar metals causes it to get really tight. Some use anti-seize but I am just overly concerned about contamination, so I just deal with it. It takes a 1/2" breaker bar and some extensions, and just kinda sucks until it "pops". I reuse the crush washer up top every time, as this doesn't really hold any fluid and doesn't leak. Some people fill via the dipstick tube and a special funnel setup to avoid the honda fill plug, it is really slow, but they get to avoid the fill plug. I have worked on newer Honda CVT transmissions, that just a loose fitting rubber fill plug, but they have a habit of popping off if the transmission vent gets clogged, so I'm not sure which is worse.

Reactions: Jack Vogt

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Go through the dipstick tube!

I know what you mean. I barely snug it up, but the dissimilar metals causes it to get really tight. Some use anti-seize but I am just overly concerned about contamination, so I just deal with it. It takes a 1/2" breaker bar and some extensions, and just kinda sucks until it "pops". I reuse the crush washer up top every time, as this doesn't really hold any fluid and doesn't leak. Some people fill via the dipstick tube and a special funnel setup to avoid the honda fill plug, it is really slow, but they get to avoid the fill plug. I have worked on newer Honda CVT transmissions, that just a loose fitting rubber fill plug, but they have a habit of popping off if the transmission vent gets clogged, so I'm not sure which is worse.
Nailed it. My contraption allows me to dump a full quart in the setup at a time, takes less than 5 minutes to get all of fluid I need to in the transmission and makes the "check and top off" period extremely easy.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Gentlemen, gentlemen, vote in the poll:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes I have filled ATF thru dipstick hole in Odyssey and Accord. The black funnel fits perfectly OVER the dipstick tube and stays tight. It takes forever if you try to get a tube down INTO the dipstick tube in which case the inner diameter of the tube is tiny

Going OUTSIDE the tube means you have the full diameter of the dipstick to fill

I have never touched the fill bolt ever

·
Registered
664 Posts
Don't forget though that the 3rd generation Pilot Touring and Elite's don't have a dipstick. The 9 speed transmissions have a completely different way to check and properly fill them. I have read of some owners who are just draining, measuring, and then replacing the exact amount that came out. That's fine as long as the level was correct to begin with and the temperature of the removed fluid and the replacement fluid is within a few degrees of each other.

My Touring is shifting fine and has no visible leaks. When it comes time to replace the transmission fluid, I may just do the drain and fill method. One owner on a different forum said his dealer told him this is how they do the 9 speed changes and he just did his that way.

60000 miles or around that is when the "3" code for transmission fluid has been coming up on the 9 speed which is more than the 6 speed at 30000 miles. Now that the price of the 3.1 fluid is in the $25.00 per quart range I may do a change at 30000 miles.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Given how terrible the nine speeds are doing, I would probably just eat it and pay Honda to change the fluid to establish a maintenance track record with them when the inevitable happens. How much do they charge for a transmission fluid swap?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Given how terrible the nine speeds are doing, I would probably just eat it and pay Honda to change the fluid to establish a maintenance track record with them when the inevitable happens. How much do they charge for a transmission fluid swap?
Not sure where you come up with Given how terrible the nine speeds are doing just because of some complaints read on the internet. Heck, the 6 speed transmission was sounding like the end of the world in the 3rd generation Pilots for a while.

Perhaps my experience is different than everyone else, but I have been pleased with the 9 speed in my 2019 Touring so far. I have only had it for 11 months and 11000 miles. The last 5 or 6 thousand miles have been about 80% around town driving, and I haven't been displeased at all.

I have read that the 3 quart drain and fill that dealers do on these are around $300.00-$350.00 because of the cost of the fluid and the labor involved.

when the inevitable happens.

What inevitable? Should Honda start stocking thousands of new transmissions or rebuilts because of "the inevitable"? I will admit that I purchased a 8 year/120000 mile Honda Care $0.00 deductible for $1345.00 because I plan on keeping this car for at least that long.

Was the internet buzz about the 9 or 6 speed transmission the reason I purchased the warranty? NO, I wanted a trouble free/cost free option of ANY covered part being replaced with no hassle and no cost and a free rental car when in for covered repairs for that length of time. Could be engine, transmission, fuel injectors, differential, transfer case, radio, A/C, etc.

Been posts about most of those systems but nothing to stop me from going with Honda for the first time in almost 52 years of owning and driving cars.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Not sure where you come up with Given how terrible the nine speeds are doing just because of some complaints read on the internet. Heck, the 6 speed transmission was sounding like the end of the world in the 3rd generation Pilots for a while.

Perhaps my experience is different than everyone else, but I have been pleased with the 9 speed in my 2019 Touring so far. I have only had it for 11 months and 11000 miles. The last 5 or 6 thousand miles have been about 80% around town driving, and I haven't been displeased at all.

I have read that the 3 quart drain and fill that dealers do on these are around $300.00-$350.00 because of the cost of the fluid and the labor involved.

when the inevitable happens.

What inevitable? Should Honda start stocking thousands of new transmissions or rebuilts because of "the inevitable"? I will admit that I purchased a 8 year/120000 mile Honda Care $0.00 deductible for $1345.00 because I plan on keeping this car for at least that long.

Was the internet buzz about the 9 or 6 speed transmission the reason I purchased the warranty? NO, I wanted a trouble free/cost free option of ANY covered part being replaced with no hassle and no cost and a free rental car when in for covered repairs for that length of time. Could be engine, transmission, fuel injectors, differential, transfer case, radio, A/C, etc.

Been posts about most of those systems but nothing to stop me from going with Honda for the first time in almost 52 years of owning and driving cars.
The complaints about the 9 speed tranny are super high.... this site has more evidence than anyone should need to see there are issues, and Honda has a TERRIBLE track record across the entire industry when it comes to automatic transmissions. The number one issue that hurts Honda reliability numbers for the past 15 years has been their automatic transmissions. I'm glad you are happy (so far) with yours.... but it sure sounds like you took that a little too personally.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Probable not just me but countless others who have had no problems.

I had actually followed the Pilot forum for the 3rd generation since at least 2017 before purchasing the 2019. Yes, there were stories of both 6 and 9 speed transmissions needing replacement or having problems. I felt however that it wasn't enough of a concern to prevent my purchase and considered both the EX with the 6 speed and the final selection of the Touring with the 9 speed.

How is your 9 speed experience?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Probable not just me but countless others who have had no problems.

I had actually followed the Pilot forum for the 3rd generation since at least 2017 before purchasing the 2019. Yes, there were stories of both 6 and 9 speed transmissions needing replacement or having problems. I felt however that it wasn't enough of a concern to prevent my purchase and considered both the EX with the 6 speed and the final selection of the Touring with the 9 speed.

How is your 9 speed experience?
Since I consider a single experience irrelevant, so is your question completely irrelevant. I am going based of the number of complaints and issues on the 2016+ model reported here, compared to the 6 speed.

·
Registered
664 Posts
OK, I understand and also see that you don't even own a Pilot with the 9 speed transmission. You should also go back and check the reports of the 6 speed transmission troubles. I think it is almost an even toss up as to which has more complaints here.

Have a good night and hope all goes well.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
This is just my Piloteers institutional memory I'm scavenging here, but IIRC most problems with the ZF nine-speed transmission were in the beginnings of the 2016 model year. After that, they taper off significantly. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
So we went from arguing about oil changes to arguing about transmission fluid changes to arguing about which transmission is best. THIS is why I choose to spend my time on forums and not browsing random internet sites.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
That's 'cause Rocky's so caught up with his new CR-V that he rarely has time to come by here anymore, "put his moderator hat on," and keep us all on track. :p

101 - 120 of 122 Posts