Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 2003 pilot EX that is nearing 200k miles. It is in good mechanical shape and my family has owned it for most of its life. There are a couple of body issues with it, there are a lot of scratches and dings on the door moulding panels and the clear coat is starting to fade/peel on the roof. I was thinking I could take the door moulding off and shoot them with truck bed liner and although it would not be gold/sandstone like it is now I think it would look better and hide the scratches and dings (of course I would prep and sand first before I wanted it with textured truck bed liner). Another thought is, I can either buff out the clear coat issues on the roof and respray with new clear coat, I could vinyl wrap it with something like a matte white, or I could spray that as well with truck bed liner (I would probably go with white bed liner so it is not super hot in the summer). I also have an issue with the trunk spoiler, it is also quite faded and I would paint that black with truck bed liner as well.

I am trying to figure out of it is worth it for me to do this work knowing that she is getting up there in mileage. I would do all the work myself thus I am trying to evaluate my time and money spend on the paint/materials. Do y'all think it is worth it to do this work to make her look better or is it not worth it because of the mileage and age?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,181 Posts
Since you’re doing all the work you’re only out money wise for parts/materials. It comes down to how much spare time you have, and if you’ll enjoy doing the work. If time is plentiful and you find prepping and painting fun I say go for it.

If you were to pay someone to do the work I would say waste of money.

Reactions: Sha93 and plplplpl

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
If you're at 200k miles and she's still running great, why not put in the time and gussy her up a little, and she may reward you with another 100k miles.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Agree with the advice you've gotten.

I would definitely start with a thorough detail on the roof if you decide to keep the color you have. Even if you're seeing small flakes, doing spot touch-ups with a single-stage color will be cheaper and probably give you better results than trying to blend and finish a second coat of clear. If its not good enough, you can always do something more comprehensive.

You will be surprised how much better a car looks if you just spot touch the dings and fair them off with wet 400 grit before buffing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts