Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this was unusual, but when I checked out the Pilot at the dealership, the texture didn't feel like the leather that was in my Accord. Also, it didn't have the "leathery" smell to it either.

With a kid coming my way, would it be more practical to get the "leather" or plain cloth? I hear that leather is easier to clean but I'm afraid it might rip with the abuse from kids and dogs.

·
Registered
797 Posts
We have had our Pilot for a year with our 2 year old who is now 3. It has held up fine and although we have not had the issue, some people say it is easier to clean up "barf" with leather.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Leather & Vinyl

My understanding is:

The front seats and the second row seats are leather, and the third row is vinyl.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Blue_Chameleon said:
...With a kid coming my way, would it be more practical to get the "leather" or plain cloth? I hear that leather is easier to clean but I'm afraid it might rip with the abuse from kids and dogs.
Leather is usually easier to wipe off than cloth, but the Pilot leather is perforated, so it's hard to say - it will wipe off easily, but I think fluids might go into the holes quite quickly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You know, this raises an interesting issue. The leather in as lot of cars these days is quite bland and characterless. Honda, VW, anything GM. The all feel less like leather than a good vinyl as can be seen on some euro-market BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz etc. It's kinda pathetic.

Seems to me that it would make a lot of sense to offer a durable vinyl for a vehicle like the Pilot that has a good chance of being soiled by kids, dogs etc. Maybe even a touch of mud should it ever make it off road ;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
I Think...

I think that the thing that made us choose cloth instead of leather was, there was no fantastic, take your breath away leather feel and smell like in a Mercedes. We test drove a Pilot with leather and the feel and smell...the whole leather karma was not there.

Maybe it will come around in a future upgrade or option.

Don

·
Registered
602 Posts
Zaino leather cleaner/conditioner

Will Zaino's leather cleaner/conditioner give the Pilot a "leathery" smell? Anybody use this stuff yet in their Pilot?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I currently have a car with leather interior with two kids and there are pros and cons with both leather and cloth. The leather is easier to clean up food, spills, etc. but takes a beating with car seats and just the overall roughness/not caring-ness of kids. I have had my leather for 3 years and it is really showing signs of wear (creasing, fading). When I get the Pilot at the end of July I will be getting cloth.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Guitarman -

I just used Zaino's Leather-in-a-bottle on Sunday. I think this is the best product for leather on the market. The inside of my Pilot now has that nice leather smell.

·
Registered
620 Posts
ck55 said:
Guitarman -

I just used Zaino's Leather-in-a-bottle on Sunday. I think this is the best product for leather on the market. The inside of my Pilot now has that nice leather smell.
How long till you can sit in the seats after you "leatherize?"

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just purchased the Pilot a month ago with the cloth and we are having the leather installed after market for $1,295. It will be a smooth leather all hand stitched. My wife and I did not like the factory leather because of the perforated holes and it looks like vinyl. I would suggest getting the cloth interior and for the same price have leather installed after market. Don't let the dealer tell that it can't be done because of the side air bags. They can work around it when installing the leather.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ck55 said:
Guitarman -

I used the Zaino Leather-In-A-Bottle yesterday and my car too has that nice new leather smell....as did my hands for the rest of the night.:D

To Jet-Pilot-64:
It seemed to dry immediately.

NYCPilot

·
Registered
121 Posts
NYCPilot -

Don't you love the leather smell? Not bad on your hands either, in fact I'm thinking of using it as an aftershave, I like it so much.

Yes, it does dry fairly quickly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mark said:
We just purchased the Pilot a month ago with the cloth and we are having the leather installed after market for $1,295. It will be a smooth leather all hand stitched. My wife and I did not like the factory leather because of the perforated holes and it looks like vinyl. I would suggest getting the cloth interior and for the same price have leather installed after market. Don't let the dealer tell that it can't be done because of the side air bags. They can work around it when installing the leather.
That price sounds low. Is that leather for all seats, even thrid row?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not too sure what you guys are talking about re; stock leather. Mine had a strong leather smell when new, and still has a good leather smell at 11,000 miles. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
91Octane said:
Not too sure what you guys are talking about re; stock leather. Mine had a strong leather smell when new, and still has a good leather smell at 11,000 miles. :)
My son-in-law bought a new EX-L a few months ago (sigh!) and it still has a nice leather smell to it. Maybe some VIN's got special treatment due to this site. :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
How much of the leather is leather?

I presume that all the material that you touch when sitting down in the 1st and 2nd row seats is leather, but is any of the other leather-like material actually leather? For example, the armrest for the front seats is vinyl, but what about the perforated material on the doors? Leather or pleather? Any ideas?

- shutrbug

·
Registered
14 Posts
91Octane said:
My primary reason for using the Leather-in-a-Bottle is for the conditioning qualities of the product....the scent was secondary benefit, but not really needed yet as the original leather scent is still strong.

NYCPilot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cajun Pilot said:

That price sounds low. Is that leather for all seats, even thrid row?
That price is for all seats, even 3rd row as well as the panels on the doors. The dealer originally told us that they would charge us $1,995 to do the install through the company I got a price from. I found out who did the installs for the dealer and that is who gave me the price of $1,295. I just skipped the middle man. It just takes a little research to save big $.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts