Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just outta curiosity, does it do any damage to the transmission when you turn the engine off without putting it in park first? The car automatically puts it in park since it has a push button transmission, but the noise the transmission makes is weird compared to when you put it in park while the engine is on. Also do other people’s transmission make a clunk when changing gears on the gear selector?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I do it in my 2019 Touring occasionally and never had a problem. I think it may even point it out in the owner's manual that it can be done that way. This copied from page 540 of the 2019 on line owner's manual. Yours should be the same. No warning that it is apt to cause any damage.

■ When turning off the power mode If you turn the engine off while the vehicle is stationary, and the transmission is in other than (P, the gear position automatically changes to (P.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Not something I would do routinely on my old Pilot but since the current electronic trans defaults into Park perhaps it won't cause a problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It is bad... for your other car. After driving the pilot for a few days, I find myself turning my sedan off and almost forgetting to put in park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do it in my 2019 Touring occasionally and never had a problem. I think it may even point it out in the owner's manual that it can be done that way. This copied from page 540 of the 2019 on line owner's manual. Yours should be the same. No warning that it is apt to cause any damage.

■ When turning off the power mode If you turn the engine off while the vehicle is stationary, and the transmission is in other than (P, the gear position automatically changes to (P.
I wouldn’t really trust that too much. They also say things like auto stop start is a good thing.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
It’s a “fly by wire” ie: electric transmission control. It doesn’t know if you pushed the Park button or shut off the engine. To the transmission both buttons do the same thing. Unlike the old typewriter transmissions in the Ramblers of the later 50’s early 60’s that we’re manual connections to a switch.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/547257792201006743/

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
I actually had one of those pushbutton automatic transmissions on my 1964 Plymouith Valiant.

This was well before the FCA days. :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
I wouldn’t really trust that too much. They also say things like auto stop start is a good thing.
Well that is really a matter of opinion. I like the auto stop and never turn it off. It works well and I haven't had any problems except when I first got the car. The battery was bad from sitting on the lot and had to be replaced under warranty. Has worked well now for over 16 months.

Econ mode and VCM are also other systems many people don't "trust" but again, on my 2019 haven't had any problems with them. I understand the thinking from the earlier version of the VCM but on the 3rd generation Pilots, haven't heard any documented problems. Yes, there is one person at least who says his transmission shifting was being affected by the VCM and he bypassed the system, but we don't know what other problems that particular car had from a previous owner or an accident.

Remember though, just like opinions about what oil to use, when to change it, etc, YMMV! (Your Model May Vary)

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I actually had one of those pushbutton automatic transmissions on my 1964 Plymouith Valiant.

Did those transmission push buttons prevent bad decisions like pressing PARK while in motion or alternating between DRIVE and REVERSE?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
Between DRIVE and REVERSE I never experienced, thankfully. But see that lever just to the left of the buttons? That was essentially PARK when it was down and no buttons could be pushed. Moving the lever up released it from PARK and then you could press the buttons to engage the transmission. The transmission paired to the slant six were unkillable.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
Did those transmission push buttons prevent bad decisions like pressing PARK while in motion or alternating between DRIVE and REVERSE?
Heck If I know. I was a kid in 1960 when the folks bought the Rambler. What I do know is that I LOVED the knob under the radio on the bottom of the dash. Turn it one way and the antenna went up, turn it the other way and it went down. I was small enough you couldn't see me in the front seat so I figure folks thought my dad was an idiot with that antenna going up and down, up and down.

Kind of like test driving a vehicle and accidentally turning on the windshield wiper. With every swipe back and forth they are saying to others Dumb Guy, Dumb Guy, Dumb Guy. :LOL:

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Nice to see a return of some retro style push buttons with smarter technology. Not exactly related to the thread but the recall for the fancy FCA gear shifter in 2015 became a media concern when a Star Trek actor was killed.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Well that is really a matter of opinion. I like the auto stop and never turn it off. It works well and I haven't had any problems except when I first got the car. The battery was bad from sitting on the lot and had to be replaced under warranty. Has worked well now for over 16 months.

Econ mode and VCM are also other systems many people don't "trust" but again, on my 2019 haven't had any problems with them. I understand the thinking from the earlier version of the VCM but on the 3rd generation Pilots, haven't heard any documented problems
IMO the VCM, start-stop tech etc are neat features to increase mpg during a 3-4 yr lease but buying used or keeping those type vehicles long-term could result in costly repairs when those systems start to have trouble especially after the warranty is over.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not sure about Hondas, but once we had a rental Chrysler Pacifica with the rotary gear selector, and someone mistook it for the volume knob and the car went in reverse.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It is bad... for your other car. After driving the pilot for a few days, I find myself turning my sedan off and almost forgetting to put in park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I find myself doing the same thing when driving our 15 Forester. It's a good thing the radio keeps playing or I'd probably get out with the ignition on & the tranny in drive...

·
Registered
111 Posts

We owned a few too. It worked well. Those Torqueflite transmissions were reliable beasts. I would rev the engine up in neutral and jam it in D. Spun the tires but never killed a trans or a u-joint in our four Dodges. 318's and 383's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts