Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don’t have fuel economy or rough running issues. Is it a good idea to use an additive as preventative fuel injector maintenance?

I consistently use a “top tier” 87 fuel.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
I don’t have fuel economy or rough running issues. Is it a good idea to use an additive as preventative fuel injector maintenance?
I'd regularly use top tier fuel or injector cleaner if using unbranded gasoline.
Disabling the VCM has a profound effect for the good in keeping the combustion chambers clean.

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
If you are using top tier fuels it's not needed. Most of the fuel injector cleaners contain highly concentrated versions of the chemicals found in top tier fuels.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Yup, recently disabled VCM.

I guess otherwise it is overkill and wasted money?
I do believe that some top tier gasolines are better than others. Chevron, Shell, Exxon are my preferred choices. But I'd never say never.

Reactions: hexenbeist65

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use regular 87 octane all the time but I do use Lucas fuel injection cleaner. I have done the math on over a dozen tanks of fuel and every time I get significantly better fuel economy with the Lucas. I have been using it for years in cars and motorcycles with zero issues. There is my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Got this Lucas in my Wal-Mart order today. Why am I apprehensive about putting this in my 2017 Pilot? Seems kinda syrupy. Did I buy the wrong thing?

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Nope that's it I have used it for hundreds of thousands of km's.
I guess it would have helped if I had attached the photo. Is this the right Lucas for injectors?

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Got this Lucas in my Wal-Mart order today. Why am I apprehensive about putting this in my 2017 Pilot? Seems kinda syrupy. Did I buy the wrong thing?
What problem are you hoping that the Lucas additive might solve?

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
What problem are you hoping that the Lucas additive might solve?
Help keep valves clean (wishful thinking). After seeing dirty injectors when I replaced them, I'm hoping it would help. If it gave the vehicle a little more pep off the line, that would be a bonus. But ya, 3rd gen dirty injectors. 😠

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Help keep valves clean (wishful thinking). After seeing dirty injectors when I replaced them, I'm hoping it would help. If it gave the vehicle a little more pep off the line, that would be a bonus. But ya, 3rd gen dirty injectors. 😠
View attachment 148687
How many miles were on those injectors and what brand(s) and grade(s) of fuel had been used?

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
How many miles were on those injectors and what brand(s) and grade(s) of fuel had been used?
I can only tell you the last 14k miles.
The vehicle has almost 35k. We buy mostly Valero gasoline, but will make a more concerted effort to buy Shell or Exxon. 87 octane.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
206 Posts
I’ve known folks who ran TCW3 2cycle oil in their gas. I ran in for a while in my Tacoma. I don’t know what it would do in a DI engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I run a can of Sea Foam every few months and seems to help but hard to tell. Reviews seem mostly positive and close to Lucas. I might try Lucas next

1 - 17 of 17 Posts