Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Took my '11 Honda Pilot (143K miles) in for the usual oil change and tire rotation at my local Honda dealership. After inspection, they said the bushings on the rear trailing arms were tearing and they'd couldn't replace just the bushings, so would have to do the entire arm. They also recommended replacing the rear shocks. Said it wasn't an emergency for either repair and it could wait awhile.

I bought this Pilot used and have had it for 9 months. Been to this dealership for routine maintenance 3 times. I thought I trusted them and that they had fair prices, but the quotes they gave me for these two repairs left me standing there with my mouth open.

Rear Shocks - $830
Rear Trailing Arms - $1800

Surely these aren't correct? I asked the mechanic twice and he said with parts and labor, those were the right estimates. Came home to do a google search and the most expensive I could find for parts prices was $400 for rear shocks and $220 for a single rear trailing arm. Even accounting for labor it doesn't seem to add up. However, I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert, which is why I'm here asking for the opinion of you who know better.

Am I being taken advantage of? Or are these fair estimates?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Nothing surprises me from dealers anymore... that being said this sounds a little too high to me. Usually a rear link on a multilink suspension is one bolt at either end, possibly a brake line, bottom shock mount, sway bar link mount, etc. bolted to it. Again, should all be easy things to remove. Even if other parts are bolted to it I'd imagine 2 hours per side, say $150/hr that's $600 in labor.

For shocks I don't see how they could justify more than 1 hour per side, so $300 in labor plus the shock price could be more in line with what they quoted.

Unless the rear link is one of the "blade" style links that attaches to more than 2 locations and has EVERYTHING attached to it I'm having trouble getting there.

It will be interesting if any of the mechanics on the forum check in with the book times.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The rear shocks are pretty easy to replace. I replaced mine without even using a jack. Just reached behind the wheel. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube to walk you through it. Check the bushings while you are there and see if you think they need to be replaced.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
If you are in the rust belt, start spraying the fasteners ahead of time. Honda loves the nutserts and weld-nuts that can barely tolerate more torque than the fastener was torqued originally.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
To high.
Do you DIY?

x 2 ^

1 each ^

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
AWD or 2wd?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Shop around. Dealers do charge more and they start high. There's been plenty of claims on the forums here where Dealer #2 says they can do the job for a fair amount less. Then Dealer #1 comes back and beats that quote. The only defense of a dealer is that they typically use OEM parts and have techs that work on that brand all day so they are familiar. Other shops tend to use less expensive parts and the techs may or may not be familiar with your type of car.
Dealers and banks have fancy facilities for a reason.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
According to Mitchell ProDemand the rear shocks are 0.8 hours and the trailing arms are 4.9 hours so you should be getting billed 5.7 hours plus maybe an alignment.
Ah yes, the alignment.
Haven't heard back from the OP. Guess they're going to keep driving.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Took my '11 Honda Pilot (143K miles) in for the usual oil change and tire rotation at my local Honda dealership. After inspection, they said the bushings on the rear trailing arms were tearing and they'd couldn't replace just the bushings, so would have to do the entire arm. They also recommended replacing the rear shocks. Said it wasn't an emergency for either repair and it could wait awhile.

I bought this Pilot used and have had it for 9 months. Been to this dealership for routine maintenance 3 times. I thought I trusted them and that they had fair prices, but the quotes they gave me for these two repairs left me standing there with my mouth open.

Rear Shocks - $830
Rear Trailing Arms - $1800

Surely these aren't correct? I asked the mechanic twice and he said with parts and labor, those were the right estimates. Came home to do a google search and the most expensive I could find for parts prices was $400 for rear shocks and $220 for a single rear trailing arm. Even accounting for labor it doesn't seem to add up. However, I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert, which is why I'm here asking for the opinion of you who know better.

Am I being taken advantage of? Or are these fair estimates?
Of course the dealer is screwing you, that is what they do!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts