Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of upgrading the trailer I use for camping to an off road style one. I have seen them around and a few of my jeep friends have them. My base line rig to pull this trailer will be my 13 suburban once i'm done with the engine work. For the trailer shes a 6 x 10 , riding on a 3500lb axle so even my pilot can pull her for now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't have an "offroad" trailer. However, I flipped the axles on my 14' Sportsmen toy hauler. In the standard configuration the axle sits on top of the leaf spring. When flipped, the axle is below the leaf spring. In the flipped configuration the trailer has 6" of additional ground clearance. My tow vehicle is a 2014 Pilot EX-L with the 4 wheel drive and towing option from the factory.

Sounds like your going to have fun.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have the Ex-L with the 4 wheel drive and towing option on my 2015 ... Yes It's fun i borrowed my buddies for a weekend and i didn't want to give it back ..lol :)

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
Looks like a cool way to "get away from it all."

Now to try to find a wilderness spot that isn't overrun with all the people trying to do the same this summer. :(

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
Thinking of upgrading the trailer I use for camping to an off road style one. I have seen them around and a few of my jeep friends have them. My base line rig to pull this trailer will be my 13 suburban once i'm done with the engine work. For the trailer shes a 6 x 10 , riding on a 3500lb axle so even my pilot can pull her for now.
View attachment 137744
Are you sure you can call that off road camping with that rig? Me thinks it would be referred to as off road glamping.

Nice rig though. (y)

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Are you sure you can call that off road camping with that rig? Me thinks it would be referred to as off road glamping.

Nice rig though. (y)
It's the way I'd prefer to do it. You don't have to sleep on rocks and drink your own urine to enjoy being outdoors...

·
Administrator
4,847 Posts
It's the way I'd prefer to do it. You don't have to sleep on rocks and drink your own urine to enjoy being outdoors...
All one needs do it to remove the rocks and lay down a sleeping bag pad and sleeping bag. And everyone knows that you pee down stream from where you get your water.

There is being outdoors....

Then there is being OUT DOORS...

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I can do the second one but I don't know if I would choose to with the very little spare time I have. Maybe if I were still unmarried and had nothing to do with my life or if my wife was passionate about it I'd be more into it. But she considers a travel trailer with a full bathroom the lowest she would go.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Yeah... After over 2000 miles of hiking and camping in my earlier years, miss k considers a 3-star hotel "roughing it". There are compromises obviously. We live in the middle of an outdoor-adventure paradise, but she wants to sleep in a real bed.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Administrator
4,847 Posts
Yeah... After over 2000 miles of hiking and camping in my earlier years, miss k considers a 3-star hotel "roughing it". There are compromises obviously. We live in the middle of an outdoor-adventure paradise, but she wants to sleep in a real bed.
Oh you're definitely not going to find a trailer big enough for her, as I get the impression that this is her style of camping.

·
Administrator
4,847 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
That's a nice looking rig. Like a he-man's R-Pod.

As a tired engineer, I ofetn wonder why a trailer comes new with add-on bulges like that one low in the front. Why not stretch the whole cabin to cover that available area, and offer the outside access to it. Same net footprint, etc. I look at these the same way as I look at factory flares on a road car; it shows that the original design wasn't completed. Just my 'pinion...

·
Registered
4,261 Posts

As a tired engineer, I ofetn wonder why a trailer comes new with add-on bulges like that one low in the front. Why not stretch the whole cabin to cover that available area, and offer the outside access to it. Same net footprint, etc. I look at these the same way as I look at factory flares on a road car; it shows that the original design wasn't completed. Just my 'pinion...
As a young and dumb engineer (of course most engineers don't view Civil Engineers as real engineers anyway...), I view something like that as an ingenious way to provide more clearance between the body of the vehicle and the trailer during tight off road maneuvers, hopefully preventing jackknifing. My first thought was "wow, what a great way to get a little extra room for someone like me who's 6'3"."

I'm sure the design intent, as usual, lies somewhere between.

·
Administrator
4,847 Posts

As a young and dumb engineer (of course most engineers don't view Civil Engineers as real engineers anyway...), I view something like that as an ingenious way to provide more clearance between the body of the vehicle and the trailer during tight off road maneuvers, hopefully preventing jackknifing. My first thought was "wow, what a great way to get a little extra room for someone like me who's 6'3"."

As a non engineer just a guy that has experience with these creatures, you don't want your propane bottle nor your deep cycle battery in your bedroom. Propane fumes and battery acid fumes are not conducive to a healthy lifestyle. It's kind of like not having ductwork from your house heating system in the garage. 😀

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Nice rig though. (y)
Spent many years in the bell style hot tents , i have a few of these so i'm looking for a change

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I'm also 6'3 so I know what you mean! ... the design i'm going for has some room and sleeps 5 ..

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Administrator
4,847 Posts
Spent many years in the bell style hot tents , i have a few of these so i'm looking for a change

View attachment 137794
Know what you mean. 4-5 of us would spend a week in one of these just about every year in October or November when we went Elk hunting.

It was nice to be warm at night, especially since we would be at elevation and often had snow. Like some of the rest of you, at 6'3" I want something comfortable to sleep in and the Oregon Trailer fits a full double size mattress. Sure you can get bigger, but at between 1500#'s to 1800#'s that's not too bad to pull. I would actually pull this with the Passport, plus It looks like I can get it in Metallic Steel to match the Passport.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
And for those with kids they can have their own bedroom on the second floor.
View attachment 137788
Now there's something I would have appreciated all those years of "family" camping.

All one needs do it to remove the rocks and lay down a sleeping bag pad and sleeping bag.
And before that, both in North America and Europe, I had my share of thin sleeping bags with no wussy blue pads under a leaky tent, and when the thunderstorm would hit you could slowly feel the cold rainwater puddle start to form beneath you in the dark.

My little brother leads archeological digs in the steppes of western Mongolia every summer (except this one), and he sets up in a full traditional ger. Now that's off road, yet somewhat glamping.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Now there's something I would have appreciated all those years of "family" camping.

And before that, both in North America and Europe, I had my share of thin sleeping bags with no wussy blue pads under a leaky tent, and when the thunderstorm would hit you could slowly feel the cold rainwater puddle start to form beneath you in the dark.

My little brother leads archeological digs in the steppes of western Mongolia every summer (except this one), and he sets up in a full traditional ger. Now that's off road, yet somewhat glamping.

View attachment 137802

View attachment 137803

I see a TV that's not roughing it! It is pretty cool looking!

·
Administrator
4,847 Posts
I see a TV that's not roughing it! It is pretty cool looking!
On the steppes of Mongolia, that's roughing it. The bathroom is behind the nearest bush. Count the number of bushes you see in the top photo.

The nearest McDonalds is in neighboring China and the local grocery store consists of horse, goat, camel, beef or sheep milk. Their diet is one consisting mostly of dairy and mutton, with the occasional beef, camel or horse tossed in during times of feast.

On top of that, they cook and heat their Gers using dried poop.

Ask your wife and kids if they want to try Mongolian Camping for a weekend and see what they have to say. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts