Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped the spare last weekend to replace the rear diff fluid and it is so rusted, that I question whether it would hold the weight of the vehicle if used.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts
Probably time to replace it with a full size if you’re not getting good vibes looking at the spare.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Yes, do yourself a favor and get a full size spare as God intended, and yes it does fit, as I now have a full-size spare there instead of the loathsome donut.

Lower it a least once a year to keep the hoist from seizing up, and leave it off if and while you go for rustproofing, so that the entire exposed undercarriage gets the full benefit of the gooey love spray, not the spare.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Probably time to replace it with a full size if you’re not getting good vibes looking at the spare.
+1

Despite the rim looking bad, its the tire that will fail. High pressure, small size and old age are a bad combination.

Check the manufacturing date on the sidewall. If its original, I wouldn't even put it on if I had a flat.

Its more expensive to replace a donut and wheel than to get a full-size, in case you're curious.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done and done. Bought a full size spare with an almost new snow tire in as long as took the local scrap yard to pull it.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts
Nice find.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Done and done. Bought a full size spare with an almost new snow tire in as long as took the local scrap yard to pull it.
Ditto ..$75 bone yard special with center cap and Bonus had a grabber tire already installed just needed balancing

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which way should I hoist the spare: face up or face down?
The donut is facing down IIRC.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I put it face down so I can check the pressure without having to lower it each time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts