Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a single guy, late 30s, work a lot, and live in small town South Texas. I've been looking for a new car and haven't been able to decide what I want. Another Accord? Maybe a TL? RDX? I'm actually interested in the Passport but they're too new for me. Then I remembered the Pilot. This gen is about the same size as the Passport (next gen gets bigger) but I have had several family and friends tell me the Pilot would be too big or too much of a car for me. They know I'm partial to smaller, more practical cars. I'm even considering the Accord coupe because I really don't need a backseat.

So, are there others out there like me driving a Pilot? Should I just get what I want and forget what everyone else suggests?

Another question... with the 4WD system, are the tires required to be within a certain tread depth similar to how it's needed on Subarus? I don't need 4WD but wouldn't mind it. I certainly don't need it enough if I have to buy new tires whenever I have a sidewall puncture.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Entirely a personal thing. Some people will get a Ford F450 even though they never need to haul anything. Don't let anyone tell you what is 'enough' or 'too much' car for you. I feel cramped in anything smaller than a decent-sized SUV, but that's me.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I appreciate the cargo space of the Pilot. But if that is not a concern, the RDX would certainly be an upsize from a car with plenty of pep. 4wd would be a waste of $ in south Texas. 4wd is extra maintance cost and time to service.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,304 Posts
Personal experience, the 2013 Pilot Touring was too much for the wife & I. Didn’t need/use the third seat. Rear entertainment system was useless. Traded it for a 2020 Passport touring and love it. Perfect fit for cargo space, passenger hauling and with the changes from the Pilot it is not only a great road vehicle, but the off road capabilities are a nice addition.

For you, that’s for you to decide. Buy what fits your current needs/lifestyle and planned future lifestyle.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
We haul three seats worth of passengers a few times a year. Th erst of the time two rows is more than plenty. K is used to sitting up at SUV altitudes, and feels she can't see enough when driving/riding in sedans. I travel a lot and invariably get a sedan unless I'm in snow. The sharper handling, easier parking, significantly better fuel economy and lower insurance costs all point to sedans and sports-coupes for me, but not for her. Our Pilot is used mostly as a winter car, as we live in snow and need the utility then. She has a 4Runner and loves it. It's all down to what YOU like, what and how many you might need to haul, and how much extra you want to spend to indulge beyond the real "needs". Truth be told, I didn't "need" a Pilot, but it came to us well and suits our winter needs. So it stays. Cracked 50k this year at about 7.5 years old, and the last five of those years have it driving 4-5k per yr. I think.

AWD adds a couple $k to the purchase, adds insurance costs and extra fuel costs too. Where you are, good tires on a FWD will do you just fine.

Go drive a Pilot and see if it fits you.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I'm 32 but I do have 3 kids. If I didn't have the kids BUT I had hobbies that required more room (hiking/biking/water sports/boats/etc.) or I did a lot of home renovation type of work I would get the Pilot for the extra space and capability. If I were single I would either get something like the RDX (love my mom's GLC300, the RDX competitor) or possibly a sedan or coupe. I love driving a car for how much better they perform, better mileage, etc. but I HATE driving around at night in something that low since everyone in my county seems to have lifted trucks with cheap LED or HID bulbs that blind the crap out of me.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
I first looked at the Pilot in 2004. Mentally I wasn't ready to have three rows of seats. It was too minivan for me at the time. A year later I owned one and my boys and their friends filled all three rows many times. Now the boys are grown and 50% moved out.

As a single guy, if you travel, are active, camping, hiking, cycling etc etc I can see one being the right choice. It would meet all those needs and be a good commuter car.

But if you are on the fence...and we all are sometimes as our needs change, try leasing something. Sometimes having no long term commitment is better... Who knows where your life will be in three years...

·
Super Moderator
4,304 Posts
So I'm a single guy, late 30s, work a lot, and live in small town South Texas. I've been looking for a new car and haven't been able to decide what I want. Another Accord? Maybe a TL? RDX? I'm actually interested in the Passport but they're too new for me. Then I remembered the Pilot. This gen is about the same size as the Passport (next gen gets bigger) but I have had several family and friends tell me the Pilot would be too big or too much of a car for me. They know I'm partial to smaller, more practical cars. I'm even considering the Accord coupe because I really don't need a backseat.

So, are there others out there like me driving a Pilot? Should I just get what I want and forget what everyone else suggests?

Another question... with the 4WD system, are the tires required to be within a certain tread depth similar to how it's needed on Subarus? I don't need 4WD but wouldn't mind it. I certainly don't need it enough if I have to buy new tires whenever I have a sidewall puncture.
If you like the Passport then take a look at it. New in name only. The Passport line proceeded the Pilot line but was stopped when Honda introduced the Pilot. It is built on the same unibody as the Pilot, Ridgeline, Odyssey, same motor, same transmission choices. The two upper tier models have the more ruggedized suspension that comes on the Ridgeline. The big difference is slightly shorter body, slightly taller, and lack of a 3rd row seat. The Pilot and the Passport are brothers from the same mother.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
If you like the Passport then take a look at it. New in name only. The Passport line proceeded the Pilot line but was stopped when Honda introduced the Pilot. It is built on the same unibody as the Pilot, Ridgeline, Odyssey, same motor, same transmission choices. The two upper tier models have the more ruggedized suspension that comes on the Ridgeline. The big difference is slightly shorter body, slightly taller, and lack of a 3rd row seat. The Pilot and the Passport are brothers from the same mother.
I think the Black Edition is appealing. I'm sure I wouldn't like the price tag. The OP being from Alice, Tx, I might opt for a white one. That black car in 100° + is not fun to get in. Park in the shade?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Consider CX-5. Bought one in Dec after trading an older Highlander. Great vehicle, right sized. 32mpg on freeway, crisp handling, quiet, good ride, decent power. The CR-V, RAV4 and Forrester are competitive.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
The passport seems to be more expensive. You’re getting less car for Pilot prices.

·
Super Moderator
4,304 Posts
The passport seems to be more expensive. You’re getting less car for Pilot prices.
2020 Honda Pilot Prices by trim.

2020 Honda Passport prices by trim.

Pretty comparable pricing once you actually look vehicle to vehicle. More Pilot options in models due to the 2nd seat options. I don't miss the 10" of body since I'm not stuck with the third row soccer mom seat that's not needed. In the upper trims the price of the Passport is noticeably lower while having the more ruggedized Ridgeline suspension system. A fully loaded Passport Elite is virtually the same price as a 2WD Pilot Touring.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Interesting look at the pricing -- on a quick glance, the numbers for the 2020 Touring are very close to what showed on the sticker for our 2013 Touring.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
2020 Honda Pilot Prices by trim.

2020 Honda Passport prices by trim.

Pretty comparable pricing once you actually look vehicle to vehicle. More Pilot options in models due to the 2nd seat options. I don't miss the 10" of body since I'm not stuck with the third row soccer mom seat that's not needed. In the upper trims the price of the Passport is noticeably lower while having the more ruggedized Ridgeline suspension system. A fully loaded Passport Elite is virtually the same price as a 2WD Pilot Touring.
Not saying it’s a bad car. I just have no interest in owning one.

·
Super Moderator
4,304 Posts
Not saying it’s a bad car. I just have no interest in owning one.
It is definitely not for everyone. If we had the kid still I would have got a new Pilot, but for the OP being single, the Passport is a very attractive option in the same price points and the only real changes are cosmetic, not mechanical. It comes down to lifestyle.

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
Should I just get what I want and forget what everyone else suggests?
Yes.

The front tires should have approximately the same tread depth. Likewise, for the rear tires. All four need not match.
Keep in mind that if just one tire needs to be replaced then the tread can be shaved down to match the other tire on the same axle.
Tire Rack can provide this service for about $25-30.

·
Registered
20 Posts

My husband had a Ford Explorer during his early/mid twenties. At the time he lived in Denver and loved the ability to throw his snowboard, bike or other sports equipment in the back. When we got married, it became obvious that it was not a practical car for his hour long commute to and from work. He downsized to a Honda Accord.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I'm retired. Live alone. Central Texas. I'm on my 2nd Pilot. The first one I had for almost 14 years. I got the 2nd one because the first one was TERRIFIC. The new one is even better. Better gas mileage, more 'stuff,' and more newer tech. And it's just as well built. I have about 30K on it now. The Passport doesn't interest me. It's not enough cheaper to turn my head. It's just a shorter Pilot. I opted out of the 4WD on the new one. I never used it on the old one. IMHO, the Acura products aren't as good. They build fewer of them so my observation is that they aren't as reliable. Not worth the uplift in cost. Get a Pilot Touring or Elite and be happy for the next 15 years...

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Pilot was absolutely perfect with our family. Now that the kids are out of the nest, the thrid row seat ion the Pilot sees little use. 240k miles too, although runs and drives like new.
We travel a lot in our Transitr van RV but outside of camping season, we travel in the Pilot.
Looking to replace, I just bought a new 2019 Passport (basically a chopped Pilot with more clearance and no thrid roiw seat, but almost as much space in back).
It has 600 miles on it now and so far we really love it.
Also have had a mess of CRV's with a 2019 last fall.

If I were to recommend a vehicle to someone, I'd need to know what they will use it for. A Civic is great for city, highway and one or two people.
An Accord is similar but a lot more fun (if you like to drive, as I do)
The CRV is perfect for a small family, great mileage as well as 4wd if you do outdoor stuff, hunt, travel a nity offroad, and maybe tow a smaller boat?
We have done it all in the Pilot including some unplanned rock crawling (not made for that but once you start down a trail to see where it goes, there's no guarantee of any easy turn-arounds!) and it does it all well. Trans and Steering coolers make towing easy and parts are cheap as there's a million of these on the roads.

With a bit more off-road in mind, we just went with the new Passport and so far, I think it will do very nicely for us.
We have a couple Ghost towns to hit out west in a month and will post an update on how it handled.

You'll need to look at your intended use and go from there.

Incidentally, a slightly used CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) is p[robably the besty deal you can get, with an awesome warranty. If it's used at a dealer, they will haggle on the price of certification! I have bought a couple Honda's and had them certified for jusrt a couple hundred bucks a pop, a steal for a warranty like that!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts