Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went shopping for a 2019 Pilot, I selected the EX-L primarily as it was the highest trim level that used the older 6-speed automatic, and I wanted to avoid the extra complexity and other issues of the 9-speed transmission. Did anyone else on this forum avoid the Touring and higher trim levels for this reason? Was I being overcautious?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Pretty popular sentiment... I'd probably do the same after researching on the forum. The complaints have decreased considerably with the refresh though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That's the reason I got the EX-L. I had my eyes set on touring before reading this forum. Had a really bad experience with transmission few years ago (brand new car, not Honda). I just don't want to deal with this sort of hassle again.

·
Registered
243 Posts
When I went shopping for a 2019 Pilot, I selected the EX-L primarily as it was the highest trim level that used the older 6-speed automatic, and I wanted to avoid the extra complexity and other issues of the 9-speed transmission. Did anyone else on this forum avoid the Touring and higher trim levels for this reason? Was I being overcautious?
That was one of my reasons. Additionally, I didn't want the auto start/stop. The Touring & Elite seem to be experiencing more infotainment issues, also. I might add, that I had the 9 speed tranny in my Odyssey & had zero problems with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I too avoided the touring for that reason, bought a 2018 Exl.

Unfortunately the tactic didnt work for me. I am one of the few that had to to replace a 6 speed tranny. I was unable to repair the original with only 21000 miles on it.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Unfortunately the tactic didnt work for me. I am one of the few that had to to replace a 6 speed tranny. I was unable to repair the original with only 21000 miles on it.

Did they say what was wrong with the tranny and was a it a 2016 model?

Having had both a 2019 acura mdx and a 2019 Pilot Elite, I went and bought a 2020 Ex-l. Much better than the 9 speed. Although the 9 speed shifted fine, it was not as fast and peppy as the 6 speed. I had to step on the gas more to get it going where the 6 speed was always ready to go. The major difference I notice besides the sound (which I fixed by adding a sub and third row speakers with panels from the elite) is the double layered front windows, the road noise is a bit more noticeable. But overall, I'm really happy with the ex-l.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not a clue. The code it threw indicated a shift solenoid. The guess is that internal wear was excessive impeding timely or complete solenoid movement and or the primary valve body had some defect or blockage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Exact situation here. Found an EX-L RES (which are NOT easy to find), because we wanted the DVD. It comes standard on the Elite and Touring I believe, but the 9-speed scared me since so many have had a hard time with it in the Acura's, which I follow pretty closely since I also have a TL.

ZF Friedrichshafen AG is a German parts company that generally makes pretty good transmissions. However, Honda's implementation of this transmission fell flat on its face. I'd stay far away from any Honda with a ZF. It's not to say they'll even go bad, but the general consensus is that it feels weird, tach-hunts a lot and isn't intuitive. However, there are plenty of people that like it well enough and don't really have any complaints.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gotta add, regardless of which one you go with, I'd strongly recommend you keep the transmission fluid clean. Honda's Achilles heel has always been automatic transmissions. It's ironic because IMO, they make (or made) one of the best manual transmissions you can find. But their auto's have never been very good - whether they source it or it's an in-house design. Granted, they're getting better. Then 8 speed dual-clutch in the TLX 4-cyl is awesome. But it's the exception.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Gotta add, regardless of which one you go with, I'd strongly recommend you keep the transmission fluid clean. Honda's Achilles heel has always been automatic transmissions. It's ironic because IMO, they make (or made) one of the best manual transmissions you can find. But their auto's have never been very good - whether they source it or it's an in-house design. Granted, they're getting better. Then 8 speed dual-clutch in the TLX 4-cyl is awesome. But it's the exception.
Even the infallible Honda manual has had some blunders... the 6 speed they were putting in 6-6 Accords and TL/TL-S models after 2000 had a glass 3rd gear, it seemed to be another extremely high percentage rate for failures. Which is really sad because that generation Accord and TL were absolutely beautiful cars to drive but they are worth so little now that an issue like that will make the car junkyard fodder.

·
Banned
379 Posts
I had the 6 in my Ridgeline and traded that for 2017 Pilot EX-L which has the 6 and then traded that for a 2019 EX-L. I won't go higher than that. Don't need the rest and don't want the 9 speed. It's garbage and unnecessary. I used to own a 1966 Cutlass Supreme with a 2 speed powerglide! It worked awesome lol. Who needs 9???

·
Registered
353 Posts

Me, either. At 14,000 miles, the 6-speed in my 2019 Ridgeline had to be replaced.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts
Did a lot of reviews and I too, decided to get an EX-L vs Elite or Touring due to issues with transmission.
One more positive note, CVT fluid are way more expensive than a conventional fluid. This also added to my decision to stay away from upper trims

·
Registered
353 Posts
Did a lot of reviews and I too, decided to get an EX-L vs Elite or Touring due to issues with transmission.
One more positive note, CVT fluid are way more expensive than a conventional fluid. This also added to my decision to stay away from upper trims
The Pilot doesn't use a CVT, so I'll assume you are referring to the ATF 3.1 that is used for the 9-speed that lists for $30/quart as opposed to the DW-1 that is used for the 6-speed that lists for $8/quart.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
If I could get the old 5-speed in my 2017, I would.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Man Honda has really had a rough time with their V6 ATs... it seems like the 5 speed they used in the Ridgeline and 2nd gen Pilot is the only real reliable unit. The early 5 speeds had incredible failure rates, the 9 speeds have had many well document issues, apparently the 6 speeds as well.

Anyone know how the 10 speed in the Ody is fairing?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Anyone know how the 10 speed in the Ody is fairing?
Aside from some harsh 1-2 and 2-3 shifts in the 2018 Accord and 2019 RDX, Honda's 10AT seems to be holding up well so far.

They still don't appear to have a version of the 10AT that is compatible with AWD and the V6 yet.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Aside from some harsh 1-2 and 2-3 shifts in the 2018 Accord and 2019 RDX, Honda's 10AT seems to be holding up well so far.

They still don't appear to have a version of the 10AT that is compatible with AWD and the V6 yet.
Isn't the RDX available with 10AT and SH-AWD?

Either way, why Honda has 3 different transmissions (6AT, 9AT and 10AT) being used for similar power levels concurrently makes me scratch my head.

Reactions: ls973800

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L, 2017 Ridgeline RLT
24 Posts
Exact situation here. Found an EX-L RES (which are NOT easy to find), because we wanted the DVD. It comes standard on the Elite and Touring I believe, but the 9-speed scared me since so many have had a hard time with it in the Acura's, which I follow pretty closely since I also have a TL.

ZF Friedrichshafen AG is a German parts company that generally makes pretty good transmissions. However, Honda's implementation of this transmission fell flat on its face. I'd stay far away from any Honda with a ZF. It's not to say they'll even go bad, but the general consensus is that it feels weird, tach-hunts a lot and isn't intuitive. However, there are plenty of people that like it well enough and don't really have any complaints.
Jeeps used ZF also. There were a lot of problems with them too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts