·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is $700 under MSRP good for a 2004?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board and in the market for a WHITE PILOT
with cloth. I would consider the leather if the heated seats
were an option, but living in NHis tough in the winter....

Anyway, I've spent a week trying to get a deal on an 04 and so far
the best deal is $700 under MSRP is the best I can come up with?
What do you guys/girls think? Should I wait for an 04? Do you like White? I think White looks sharp, but everyone is different...please reply with your opnions.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Call Tom Baringer at 330-644-3322 at Park Honda or Darrell Hartman at 330-644-1300 at Park Acura in Akron, Ohio. Here's their website:
http://www.parkhonda.com/

I've heard of better deals from them. Some people have gotten $2,200 under MSRP on an MDX and they'll fly you out there to pick up the car. Not sure what the deals are for the 2004, but it's worth a call.

Good luck. Personally, I don't like white but that's just me. I'm hoping my wife will go for Sagebrush Pearl.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think white looks pretty sharp on the Pilot and MDX (although I have sagebrush :)

depends on where you are and the local market (and how bad you want to save a few more bucks)...but if somebody got presented that deal out herein the SF Bay Area (Calif) then I'd advise they jump on it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I live in Southern NH about 45 minutes from Boston.
I can't believe how tough it is to get a Pilot? What do you guys think about cloth as opposed to Leather?

·
Registered
620 Posts
jcard71 said:
Thanks. I live in Southern NH about 45 minutes from Boston.
I can't believe how tough it is to get a Pilot? What do you guys think about cloth as opposed to Leather?
The leather is so nice you can't go wrong... but it does have a reputation for sagging... I actually haven't had the problem. Yet... :6:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Jim...

I think it's premature to begin dealing on a 2004. We don't know when they'll be out, or what the MSRP will be. Dealerships are probably not motivated to write a deal on a vehicle that won't come out for a few months. They're still busy selling 2003 Pilots as fast as they can get them in. If you're going to wait for a 2004, then I'd wait until next spring, particularly since demand for SUVs goes up in the fall/winter for obvious reasons. And with demand, goes price. If you don't want to wait that long, why not pick up a 2003 now? I'll second the comment about purchasing a vehicle in Akron, OH. I bought my EXL Pilot in Akron, and the price was much much better than $700 below MSRP. You want to deal up from invoice, not down from MSRP. You can either fly out and pick it up, or they'll drive the car to you.

As far as white goes, I own a white Maxima. It's a sharp color when clean and shiny. But, I've gotten kind of bored with it. The Pilot is my 3rd black vehicle. For me, there's nothing sharper or classier than a shiny black car. But that's just my opinion. Also, white will show every dead bug and speck of tar/grease. Not easy to keep clean.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I owned one black vehicle and will never do that again. When I'd wash and dry it, the dry section would get dusty before I could finish toweling the rest of it off.

I owned a string of white vehicles after that, much much easier to keep looking nice. The Pilot is my first silver vehicle, and it's even easier to keep looking sharp. I wanted a white one, but the sales guy talked me into silver.

My only regret is that the Redrock Pearl was the color of Pilot I test drove, and it's great looking, too. Every time I see one, I briefly wish I'd gotten the Redrock Pearl.

·
Registered
602 Posts
color

You know why cars come in different colors? Because everyone has their own favorite color and it doesn't matter what other people think, it's your car and you have to look at it every day. You can't go wrong with any of the Honda colors, if you're looking at it from a resale standpoint. None of the colors are off the wall or offensive; they're all pretty middle of the road. I do remember reading years ago that Mr. Honda said he'd never paint one of his cars black, and for years you couldn't get a black Honda. Well, that changed. I wonder, is he still alive or did he change his mind about black cars?

If you wash your car once a week, like you're supposed to, then picking a color because it doesn't show dirt becomes a moot point. Pick the color that catches your eye when it drives past you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to disagree with guitarman on dealing in 2004's.
I think it's too late to buy a 2003 and it's not like they are going
to be any left-overs on the 03 models. I think buying an 04 now is
a good move because of resale value...my 2 cents.

·
Registered
602 Posts
You have a good point JCard71 on the 2003's in that the supply will be drying up. And if you're going to keep the vehicle for only 3 or 4 years, then I agree with you on the resale value issue. But with that being said, I still think it is too early to get a good deal on a 2004. The salesmen want to deal on what they can sell by the end of the month. That's the only thing on their minds; month to month. I just can't believe that you'll get as good a deal now on a 2004 as you would on a 2003 sitting on the lot or coming in as part of an allocation. And then by the time the 2004's arrive, they'll be a glut of people who were either waiting for the 2004's or who don't want to get stuck in the snow like they did last year so they decide to get an SUV.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My 2 cents

I believe if the lowest price is what your after then I would consider purchasing a 2003 now, just in case supply starts to run even shorter than it is now.

If the money isn't the main issue and you want to make sure there aren't any significant changes for 2004 (which I have heard there is not except for an additional color to be added), then you might want to wait for the 2004 to arrive. I'm sure the dealers wont be discounting these as low as the 2003 though (If they did discount both the 2003 and 2004 the same, who would buy the 2003) because they will want to get rid of the rest of there inventory.

·
Registered
465 Posts
For those of us who are coming up on the anniversary date of owning our Pilots, ANYTHING off MSRP looks good. I will have had my Sandstone one year on August 28, and have over 22,000 miles on it so far. Paid MSRP. It was important for me to have the vehicle at that time, so waiting for a deal wasn't an option. And knowing how long it took to get anything off an MDX, I figured it would be some time before I could get any kind of a deal, so I bit the bullet and paid full price.

And just a quick comment on leather seats. My seats still don't sag, and they warm up quickly.

And a comment on the white color. We love the Sandstone color of our Pilot, but my husband says the white looks better. We've always had white cars/trucks though. I think white is easy to keep clean, but not as easy as this "brown". You have to get it REALLY dirty for it not to look clean.:D

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
jcard71 said:
Late September early Oct...
What is your source for that time frame for the 2004?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A dealer in NH is taking orders and he gave me a 90 day time frame
from this weekend...could be longer or shorter?

·
Registered
602 Posts
What does "taking orders" mean? Are they asking for a deposit?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are taking orders and deposits and when they allocate
for 2004 I will supposedly be the first on the list. If I ordered
a 2003 it will take a month so it makes no sense to me to get an 03 when I can get an 04 2 months later and if it's later I'll just have to wait....:(

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
jcard71 said:
A dealer in NH is taking orders and he gave me a 90 day time frame
from this weekend...could be longer or shorter?
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A good friend of mine is a sales manager at a Honda Dealership and he has placed an order for me for the first shipment of 2004 Pilots to his Dealership. He is requesting what Mr. Honda hates the most ...... a "Black" EX Pilot for me. He estimates that the vehicle will arrive in late August/Early September. He says he won't know for sure until two weeks before the delivery date of the car, but what is for sure is that a Black one will be coming to his dealership on the first shipment. In terms of what you think is a great deal, it's up to you. If you feel that you are getting a good deal at sticker, then buy it at sticker. If you feel that $700 off is good, then it's a good price. Go with what you feel is the best option/deal for you. You can never judge against what other people got, cause I am sure that there are people that got great deals for it, however, you can search for the best price and when you think you have come across the best deal in your mind, then it probably is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts