Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Is 2016 Honda pilot that bad?

15K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  The Puzzled Pilot 
#1 ·
#2 ·
My opinion is that it's not that bad (I own one). It definitely does not live up to the "legendary Honda reliability" reputation, but that is true for all current gen Honda models. Still, I wouldn't say they are worse than any other regular manufacturer.

There are a few common issues but most of them have been covered by 10-year warranty extensions now.

#6 ·
I think this is probably the most spot on answer. Everyone (minus maybe Toyota, and maybe Mazda) has some challenges these days. Unless you want a Toyota... you're probably in about the same boat unless you get something truly awful..

#4 ·
I have one and the only major work was the injectors replaced under warranty, and some minor issues like the auto start/stop failed to function (some may consider this a plus). Also the windshield is not strong enough that I had one replaced with a stone hit but now has a small crack inside the two glasses that is unrepairable (don’t want to replace the whole windshield).

#5 ·
We purchased our 16 EXL AWD over a year ago with 50k miles on it and have put on an additional 10k miles since. Had the injectors replaced and the start/stop switch replaced under the service bulletin extended warranties recently so it is good that Honda is standing behind their product by covering these two common issues. We love the Pilot and have no regrets purchasing it.

#9 ·
Okay thanks for these. Hadn't seen those TSB's before. While I have not experienced those problems ... yet ... you can still include me as an owner in the "Yes, the 16 Pilot is that bad" camp!

I do have experience with the fuel pump chirp TSB on the 16 Pilot. After educating my local dealer on that TSB's existence, they still claimed the chirp sound was normal engine noise and they refused to do any repair. So I drove to another dealer 60 miles away who confirmed the problem and did the repair under the power train warranty. And just a couple of months ago I paid $800 to have an active motor mount replaced (hello VCM issues) as the vehicle was out of the power train warranty by then. Ditto for my 18 CRV .... Honda refused me on a TSB for rear tire wear at 14K miles (rear alignment was deliberately miss-set at the factory to improve drive-ability), stonewalled me on a dead battery during the 3 year/36K warranty, and they claimed fuel dilution in the oil pan was "normal" when the dip stick oil level increased by a 1/2 inch from factory fill during the car's 1st 6 month's of life. Sorry for the rant, but I have come to the conclusion that it is Honda itself now that is that bad. I am not surprised that the rest of the world, like Consumer Reports, is finally catching on. 'Bout time. But as slow as the rest of the world is, I'm even dumber. I had to buy 5 Honda's first to learn my lesson.

#12 ·
Okay thanks for these. Hadn't seen those TSB's before. While I have not experienced those problems ... yet ... you can still include me as an owner in the "Yes, the 16 Pilot is that bad" camp!

I do have experience with the fuel pump chirp TSB on the 16 Pilot. After educating my local dealer on that TSB's existence, they still claimed the chirp sound was normal engine noise and they refused to do any repair. So I drove to another dealer 60 miles away who confirmed the problem and did the repair under the power train warranty. And just a couple of months ago I paid $800 to have an active motor mount replaced (hello VCM issues) as the vehicle was out of the power train warranty by then. Ditto for my 18 CRV .... Honda refused me on a TSB for rear tire wear at 14K miles (rear alignment was deliberately miss-set at the factory to improve drive-ability), stonewalled me on a dead battery during the 3 year/36K warranty, and they claimed fuel dilution in the oil pan was "normal" when the dip stick oil level increased by a 1/2 inch from factory fill during the car's 1st 6 month's of life. Sorry for the rant, but I have come to the conclusion that it is Honda itself now that is that bad. I am not surprised that the rest of the world, like Consumer Reports, is finally catching on. 'Bout time. But as slow as the rest of the world is, I'm even dumber. I had to buy 5 Honda's first to learn my lesson.
Ugh that is pretty bad. What’s worse to me though is not the issues but how Honda handled it when you had a problem. Seems like they are starting to take the Hyundai/ Kia approach and denying first. I had a family member raving to me about how great their Hyundai product was because of the warranty. I got in the thing and drove it and started asked “why is this broke?“ “why is that broke” (on a car with 60-70k miles).... the answer? “Because it’s not covered under warranty “... can’t make this stuff up. Of course my response was something like “Hmm... I think I’d rather it not break in the first place. My Toyota with twice the miles has had none of this type of stuff ever break”

#10 ·
CR has negative ratings here, but it’s clear that the nine speed wasn’t ready for prime time. Six speed did good.
Honda also wasn’t able to rework the head units in time for launch after Apple changed the specification requirements.
I did look at the 16 as a replacement for my first gen but to me it lost many valued features like second row and trunk power outlets and just didn’t seem to be “finished”.

#11 ·
Consumers report gave 2016 Honda pilot the reliability rating of 1 out of 5.
What do you guys think ? Is it that bad ?
IMO use CR as a reference rather than the primary reference. Over time I find CR information has brand bias, subjective and sometimes wrong.
If you decide on the Pilot stick around here and review how issues can be resolved which will be more helpful than information / data found on CR. The Piloteers can make a difference and you have just experienced how helpful they can be.

#14 ·
Who's Bad?

Reactions: Steffo
#15 ·
No complaints about our 2016 EX-L other than the issue with the fuel injectors...(which were replaced under warranty). We have the 6-speed transmission, so didn't have the same issues as some with the 9-speed. We also didn't encounter the FM radio problem nor any of the other issues some Touring and Elite owners had. Guess I'll consider us lucky, but I am not likely to buy a first year remodel again..

#28 ·
I just purchased a used 2016 Pilot Touring and the "Emissions System Problem" notice is on the dash screen constantly. The code that comes up is that the catalytic converter is bad, but 2 non Honda mechanics say that the oxygen sensors read good and they aren't convinced that the converter is bad. The local Honda dealer says the right code needs to show up before Honda will warranty the injectors. No idea if or when that code could show up. And for the first time yesterday my FM kept cutting out as I drove the interstate. It was raining and so I thought that might have something to do with it. But after just reading member 88507's comment is there a problem with the radio and if so, what is the cure? My FM had worked fine up until yesterday and it seemed to work OK today, one day after it cut in and out. Can anyone tell me what I should do if you were in my shoes? Thanks much! Gary

#17 ·
I have 93k on my 2016 Honda Pilot Touring AWD and it has honestly been smooth sailing for the most part. I did have injectors replaced around 60k or so but it happened right after the dealer did the fuel system cleaning which made me suspicious it may have had something to do with it.

I use mine on a lot of dirt trails, it is lifted and just started towing a trailer with it Oct 2020 for weekend getaways. Hoping it keeps up this way because I really enjoy the Pilot.

#19 ·
I have a 2016 Pilot. Like many others I've had the had the injectors and start/stop button replaced. Now it is in the shop at 98K miles needing the camshaft replaced after we noticed the engine making a ticking sound. Of course it's backordered until January. I know the shop foreman at the dealership personally that diagnosed it and he is beyond top notch so I know it's not BS. Definitely not what I would expect from a Honda.

#20 ·
My 2016 EX-L has 170k on it and I drive it 100 miles a day. I can't say it's had any more or less problems that other vehicles I have owned. I will say that I will NEVER buy a first year redesign again. If I get another pilot, it's either going to be a 2022 or a 2024. No way I'm going for the 2023 redesign the first year!

#22 ·
My 2016 Elite just reached 120k as well! What kinds of maintenance do you plan on doing on it at 120k? Also, agreed with the exterior black trim fading. Would like some recommendations on how to bring it back to life so that it's not all faded. I saw a thing called Cerakote but not sure if it's any good

#23 ·
Considering that I work at a Chrysler/ Dodge/ Jeep dealership as a tech... And I chose to Purchase a 16 pilot 3 yrs ago and im glad I did with all the problems I see at my Job.... No issues with my pilot. Ive even added a heated steering wheel to match the heated seats and factory wireless phone charger. Also has the sensing as well. I plan to keep this vehicle till wheels fall off, its paid for.