Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 EX-L. When I try to send a text handsfree, commanding Hey Siri, I get no response if my phone isn't connected on USB. Even though the screen is showing my phone is attached WiFi, na the phone is unlocked, I have to pick up my phone, ask Siri for command and then it will appear on the dash display. I'm not very hi tech so I'm confused. Any thoughts on this? Thx for your help.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
I do believe that is the normal operation. Text messaging is part of the apple car play functionality as is a direct connection to the phone so if it is not connected via USB you do not have car play functions. Via wifi you have phone capabilities provided by the bluetooth HFL. With the phone connected in car play mode you don't even need to use Siri, just hit the talk button and give the command for car play messaging.

From the manual:

Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® (HFL) allows you to place and receive phone calls using your vehicle’s audio system, without handling your cell phone.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’m not sure for you since I don’t know how the addition of Apple Carplay or the 2019 refresh may have changed this.

On my 2016 EX, with no CarPlay, I can activate Siri on the phone connected via Bluetooth by pressing and holding the voice command button on the steering wheel. It should pop up on the center screen.

Beyond that, I’m not sure. Hopefully others can chime in?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have a 2019 EX-L. When I try to send a text handsfree, commanding Hey Siri, I get no response if my phone isn't connected on USB. Even though the screen is showing my phone is attached WiFi, na the phone is unlocked, I have to pick up my phone, ask Siri for command and then it will appear on the dash display. I'm not very hi tech so I'm confused. Any thoughts on this? Thx for your help.
I'm not sure about when it's connected to bluetooth, but "hey siri" only works on certain iPhones and you have to set it up before you use it. If you've already done that, maybe you aren't saying it loud enough. I think when you hold the steering wheel button, siri should come up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You do have to hold the talk button longer to activate Siri or it will just activate the car voice. Also if you go to Bluetooth make sure you have permission for this to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Touring (Canada)
44 Posts
You do have to hold the talk button longer to activate Siri or it will just activate the car voice. Also if you go to Bluetooth make sure you have permission for this to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello,

How do you allow this to happen? Is it under the settings somewhere? TIA!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts