Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just starting to narrow my choices for a new SUV - and Pilot is in the lead! I realize I will have little negotiating leverage with the Pilot, but would like to go in armed to the teeth with all invoice costs possible - has anyone seen an invoice listing for optional equipment?

Thanks!
:2:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I did 3 things when I got my Pilot. First, I used AutoByTel and Cars.Com to get dealer pricing or at least a list of interested dealers.

Second, I got all the best internet pricing for the options I wanted that would be dealer installed and checked to see if either dealer I visited would match them or come close.

Third, I told them that I was going to another dealer to and get their price and select the best price of the two. I showed both dealers the email I received from them with internet pricing.

The results were:

Dealer #1: $1300 off MSRP, $10,500 trade in, no price match, no discount on install, 6 week delivery time (2 visits for this final answer)

Dealer #2: $1100 off MSRP, $10,350 trade in, no price match, no discount off install, 2 day guaranteed delivery (1 visit for this final answer) - we selected this one due to the 2 day delivery.

Dealer #3: I never got as far as negotiating a price. When I told them what I was looking for and what I was doing, they told me to come back when I was serious about getting a Pilot and not to waste their time.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
also see carsdirect.com

What part of the country are you from? You might bet the name of dealers giving discount from people on this board if you let that be known....:D

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
gksmith said:
...The results were:

Dealer #1: $1300 off MSRP, $10,500 trade in, no price match, no discount on install, 6 week delivery time (2 visits for this final answer)

Dealer #2: $1100 off MSRP, $10,350 trade in, no price match, no discount off install, 2 day guaranteed delivery (1 visit for this final answer) - we selected this one due to the 2 day delivery.

Dealer #3: I never got as far as negotiating a price. When I told them what I was looking for and what I was doing, they told me to come back when I was serious about getting a Pilot and not to waste their time.
Sounds like Dealer #3 can't spot a customer standing in front of him.:bonk:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
gksmith said:

I had a dealer tell me this one time when I was trying to negotiate a price on a new fold-down camper. We walked out and made a short trip into Denver. Later that day we drove by his dealership with our new camper in-tow. :2:

rod

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
I did the same thing when we bought my wife's Corolla. The 1st Toyota dealership (who shall remain nameless, 355 Toyota) would NOT drop their MSRP for a Corolla!!!. The salesman (who shall remain nameless, John Stevenson) insisted he could not go any lower than MSRP.

We left and drove 10 miles up the street to Fitzgerald Toyota and bought the Corolla that we wanted for $2K under MSRP.

That same day, I drove back to the 1st dealership and found the salesguy. He came out, I pointed to the Corolla, and he said he might be able to come down $500 on my Corolla. He didn't even realize that the car he was dropping $500 on wasn't even his!!! :p :p :p :p

"I love it when a plan comes together!!!"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Honda site - those are definitely MSRP, and I know those prices are marked up.

Looking at Autobytel.com and Cars.com this am - not a ton of info there on options and invoice pricing (although I very well might have missed it). I'll keep looking.

Thanks again for all the advice!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would look at the prices at hondacuraworld.com. Tim is a member of this group, and he has sold accessories to a bunch of us. His prices include shipping, and even then, my dealer wouldn't even come close to them. This would be my advice to you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
mabucfan said:
Re: Honda site - those are definitely MSRP, and I know those prices are marked up.

Looking at Autobytel.com and Cars.com this am - not a ton of info there on options and invoice pricing (although I very well might have missed it). I'll keep looking.

Thanks again for all the advice!
My intent wasn't to get internet pricing, I wanted to list of dealers who were interested in selling me a car. The last time I did one of these searches, nobody responded - Ford vehicle.

I sent 4 requests and got 3 email responses and 2 phone calls.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here's a link to a thread posted a while back.

Dealer Cost for Accessories

At the bottom you'll see some cost markups at various online parts sites. Using these markups, you can calculate dealer costs for options.

For example, Splash Guards on Hondacuraworld are $32.50 with a 30% markup that makes the invoice cost $25.

You should also weigh in the installation costs, taxes, shipping, service, etc.

I've also noticed that since my post in December, some prices have gone up on some sites so some markups may be outdated.

-Pj

1 - 14 of 14 Posts