Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a long time lurker, finally decided to sign up, chime in and get discussions going on.

My 2016 Elite has been an amazing SUV. The engine, AWD system, driving dynamics, LED headlights and overall package are among the best in class. Specially that engine. Vtec is intoxicating and the engine itself hauls.

It’s been super reliable so far. No ZF9 issues, no fouled plugs or check engine lights.

Now sitting at 33k miles. Always used 91 gas, done a drain and fill twice, including rear diff fluid, fresh fluids and oil changes at 3k miles.
However, i was hoping to gather some input on a few questions regarding suspension, ZF9 behavior and brakes.

1. What are your thoughts on the suspension? Any issues? My Pilot has always been smooth, comfortable yet firm. Unfortunately, I’ve been having this hollow, firm noise coming from the passenger front side of the suspension.

The dealership has already replaced the top hat, strut and damper once. But i still have this terrible sound and impact that almost feels like the front end is going to fall apart. Only does it randomly at low speeds. Any similar issues from anybody?

2. The ZF9 was reasonably quick and snappy when shifting. However, it’s no longer shifting as quickly when flooring it as it once did. Like the performance has degraded to an extent, albeit minor. And I’ve done 2 drain and fills in 4 years. Anybody noticed something similar?

3. Ah. The brakes. They sound terrible when reversing (Honda says it’s just the “design”) and they’re undersized for the Pilot. Have already done pads/rotors once. Has anyone done aftermarket brakes? What’s your go to for pads/rotors?

Would love to gather some experiences from others. I know I’ll be fairly active here to help others.

Cheers!
70250038-8F3F-46EA-AF98-F984CD82E96E.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
One thing I have found that effects engine performance is keeping a clean air filter and cleaning the mass airflow sensor (MAF). Simply remove the the MAF, and spray a few short bursts of CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner directly into the electrodes, then let dry thoroughly before re-installing.
The only other thing I would do differently is buy a Top Tier 87 octane fuel or use a fuel injector cleaner with unbranded 87 octane fuel. 91 octane has no real benefit for these engines. These changes should help your air fuel mixture and improve performance.

Reactions: Rampomltn

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
494 Posts
The brakes are the one area that I feel like would be a worthy upgrade.

GRANTED.... I went to school and worked in Miami for over a decade so.... well.... I'm hard on them... and the Bus (Pilot) is more of a BBW.

Does the Ridgeline have the same brake package? I'd be curious to see what others have done.

Thanks for the reminder to change my air filter Nail Grease! Last time I was at Walmart they didn't have the filters in stock, I'm going to amazon now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing I have found that effects engine performance is keeping a clean air filter and cleaning the mass airflow sensor (MAF). Simply remove the the MAF, and spray a few short bursts of CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner directly into the electrodes, then let dry thoroughly before re-installing.
The only other thing I would do differently is buy a Top Tier 87 octane fuel or use a fuel injector cleaner with unbranded 87 octane fuel. 91 octane has no real benefit for these engines. These changes should help your air fuel mixture and improve performance.

It’s not really the engine, as it’s strong. But the ZF9 seems to have lost some flair and consistency. And I’ve done a drain and fill twice.

I’ll definitely get into the MAF. I know there’s also a procedure to reset the TCU but haven’t been able to find how to so

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Work, school and pretty much everything else is close to home or nearby. I also have a 2016 Pathfinder that helps somewhat split the milage.
But i adore this thing. Always had given it top maintenance and care.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The brakes are the one area that I feel like would be a worthy upgrade.

GRANTED.... I went to school and worked in Miami for over a decade so.... well.... I'm hard on them... and the Bus (Pilot) is more of a BBW.

Does the Ridgeline have the same brake package? I'd be curious to see what others have done.

Thanks for the reminder to change my air filter Nail Grease! Last time I was at Walmart they didn't have the filters in stock, I'm going to amazon now.
Aa far as i know, same brakes. I know they have beefed up suspension components though.
Next time I replace the air filter, I’m buying an AFE drop in dry filter.

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
It’s not really the engine, as it’s strong. But the ZF9 seems to have lost some flair and consistency. And I’ve done a drain and fill twice.

I’ll definitely get into the MAF. I know there’s also a procedure to reset the TCU but haven’t been able to find how to so
Do you have a scanner? I like to get a before and after reading of the MAF. You will notice a difference after its cleaned.

Reactions: Rampomltn
1 - 9 of 9 Posts