Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Pilot, 182k miles.

A few weeks ago after sitting for a day when I went to start my Pilot the starter turned over real slow, like it would with a weak battery. It has since done the same thing 2 more times, both when the engine was hot. The first time the engine was cold. On all occasions when it turned over slow if you tried to start it again immediately after it would turn over as normal, so an intermittent slow crank.

I checked the battery voltage and it was sitting at 12.9V with the motor off, and 14.5 volts charging, so I don't think that is the issue. The battery terminals were recently cleaned and tightened. My next step is going to be to pull the ground connections to check and clean those.

After the grounds the next suspect would be the starter. I'm thinking a failing contact on the solenoid or a bad spot on the commutator. Has anyone ever experienced a failed starter on these Hondas?

I'm getting ready to take this car on a 800+ mile trip one way for vacation and really don't want to get stranded so I am considering sending the starter to a local auto electric shop for a rebuild.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I think that you are on the right track. Recheck the battery cables and all connections. If the battery is good, the slow crank is due to a poor connection somewhere, or a worn out starter. If this is the original starter, it's probably time for a replacement.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
2005 Pilot, 182k miles.

A few weeks ago after sitting for a day when I went to start my Pilot the starter turned over real slow, like it would with a weak battery. It has since done the same thing 2 more times, both when the engine was hot. The first time the engine was cold. On all occasions when it turned over slow if you tried to start it again immediately after it would turn over as normal, so an intermittent slow crank.

I checked the battery voltage and it was sitting at 12.9V with the motor off, and 14.5 volts charging, so I don't think that is the issue. The battery terminals were recently cleaned and tightened. My next step is going to be to pull the ground connections to check and clean those.

After the grounds the next suspect would be the starter. I'm thinking a failing contact on the solenoid or a bad spot on the commutator. Has anyone ever experienced a failed starter on these Hondas?

I'm getting ready to take this car on a 800+ mile trip one way for vacation and really don't want to get stranded so I am considering sending the starter to a local auto electric shop for a rebuild.
Whats cool bout these Hondas you can buy all the parts separate to rebuild these starts I prefer ti stay with OEM on these critical items .. My salvage Pilot required a rebuild but I think it was due to the front end collision that caused it to become a salvage . My other 06 it's coming up to 240k ish and still the same starter so I hevent seen any much ..mostly crappy alternators that fail after 100k ish ..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked all ground connections this afternoon. Everything looked good and I cleaned them just to be safe. Battery tested good. I wasn't able to recreate the slow crank issue despite starting the engine several times.

I decided to remove the starter just to look it over some more. When I was loosening the nut for the positive terminal the plastic housing shattered. Looks like I'm getting a replacement or a rebuild! The solenoid contact was about halfway burnt through which is about what I would except at this mileage.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,947 Posts
The symptoms you mentioned are exactly what my wife’s 2005 Pilot experienced about six months ago. Replacing the starter resolved the issue. I ended up going aftermarket on this since I couldn’t justify the 3x price difference between new aftermarket with replacement warranty versus discounted remanufactured OEM. So far the aftermarket unit has been working out great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The local rebuild shop was a bust. I needed to get the Pilot back on the road so I opted to get a new starter from Advanced Auto since I had a 25% coupon. What a difference! I think the old starter had been on its way out for a good while because the new one sounds so much better and turns over faster.

I attached some pics of the original starer. The winter road salt was not kind to it! At 180k miles the solenoid contacts were really showing their age.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts