Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2013 Pilot, 115k miles, has been giving me a Check Engine Light (CEL) the last few months and the reader started out with just a P0420 code but then added P0430. The CEL will go away on it's own for no apparent reason, the Econ mode will work and then with no indication of performance the CEL will come back on.

CEL goes away for 10 minutes or an afternoon before coming back. No correlation to temperature, amount driven, life of oil, cleaning of air filter, towing, highway driving, etc...

I can't find a reason for the CEL to turn off but the codes are the same. Before I go replacing the Cat's and O2 sensors is there another reason this might be coming and going? How to troubleshoot?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Much cheaper & easier to change the O2 sensors first. Many times, just changing them makes those CAT codes disappear.

A cheap Bluetooth OBDII will let you see lazy O2 sensors

·
Registered
774 Posts
Unless you go the O2 tube extender route, then new sensors will likely make those cat efficiency codes appear sooner. And, the plethora cleaning methods,including suddsy water, or lacquer thinner in the tank, will do nothing to clear the efficiency codes, and may doethe fuel system some harm.

The cat 02 storage has to be quite poor for those codes to chronically appear. The after cat 02 sensors will typically move around lazily during steady cruising, as a good cat will buffer fast swings of oxygen content as it stores and releases it to the exhaust. As the cats poop out, the oxygen level swings more rapidly, where the 02 sensor samples it and sends it off to the PCM. You can easily see a good and bad cat 02 response using a $15 blutooth ODB tool, and compare to YouTube videos on the topic. South Main Auto, Pine Hollow Diagnostics and Scanner Danner are good channels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: I changed the air filter and the CEL went away... been like that now for 4 or 5 days running just fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: I changed the air filter and the CEL went away... been like that now for 4 or 5 days running just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts