Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2004 honda pilot EXL. Periodically it will crank but won't start. I have sent it to 2 mechanics and they told me that they can't do anything until it won't start at all. It's been about a year and I have managed to identify a pattern in the no start condition. When you turn the key to the on position and the A/T temp, ABS light come on, the car will start. However whenever the A/T temp light does NOT come on, the car will not start! No matter how many times I try to start it, it will not start until the A/T temp light comes on and goes off. Right after the light goes off I hear a click, almost like a relay clicking but it could just be the light itself making that noise.

Whatever makes that light come on is causing the no start. I have a ALLdata wiring diagram but I don't see anything that connects to that light, but I am a rookie at this reading wiring diagrams so it may be right in front of my face. If anyone has had this problem or can shed some light on what might be happening, please let me know.

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
4,825 Posts
Do you notice if other circuits in the car don’t turn on when the A/T Temp light does not turn on?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Without looking at the wiring diagram I would also suspects the main relay. The solder joints break sometimes and will give you an intermittent crank/no start issue. On some Hondas you can easily remove the cover off the relay and take a look at the solder connections. I have never had to do it on a Pilot but I know it has happened to others. The ones I have found and fixed did not take much time.

Again, this is a guess.

·
Registered
12,482 Posts
Without looking at the wiring diagram I would also suspects the main relay. The solder joints break sometimes and will give you an intermittent crank/no start issue. On some Hondas you can easily remove the cover off the relay and take a look at the solder connections. I have never had to do it on a Pilot but I know it has happened to others. The ones I have found and fixed did not take much time.

Again, this is a guess.
Definitely worth a look. Easy fix, especially if your soldering skills are at least as good as Eric's :p.

Also, check all your cables and grounds for rust, verdigris or fraying. See attached diagram to help you locate them.

Here's a rogues' gallery of what to look for, featuring our newest member, Kenny. :) (Somebody tell @ImBroke.)

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Gas

Hand Leg Automotive tire Glove Gas

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Art Wrist

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hand tool Pliers Motor vehicle Tool Automotive tire

Replace with Walmart's NEverstart cables for cheap. :)

Product Liquid Gadget Audio equipment Street light

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 EX-L w/RES in manly Taffeta White & no fender flares
330 Posts
Thanks, it would be interesting & useful to know if the A/T Temp light not turning on points to a specific circuit failure (eg the main relay, if that's what it ends up being). Good folks are here to help :)

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
694 Posts
first step in general troubleshooting should always been a visual inspection. half the time something just jumps right out and screams at you like those severed ground cables!

I have done the honda relay re-solder job on a guy's old honda civic and it fixed all sorts of weird problems he was having

·
Registered
545 Posts
Something else to consider / the main console on the driver’s door (windows/locks/mirrors). Problems with that console of switches can cause all sorts of weird electrical ghosts.

This is also not a Honda specific ghost - I’ve tracked down random electrical problems on Hondas, Yotas and Subies to that door console of switches. Many times the problem seems to be caused by corrosion and a loose or broken wire in the harness. Many times it shows itself a few months after that console gets rain-soaked from an open driver’s door window…

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Everybody,
I wanted to say thanks to all of you for the great tips and insights on this problem. I am happy to say that the suggestion about the Fuel injection relay seems to have fixed the problem. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the "check engine" and the A/T temp light would not come on during the no start status. So....I finally found a relay at Autozone for $60 they wanted $160 at the dealership and they didn't have it anyways so I am glad I kept searching because it saved me $100. Anyway, last thursday I replaced the relay and the truck has started perfectly everyday since.

Prior to changing the relay, I would have a no-start almost everyday so I am confident that this has resolved the problem. As an adding note...I inspected the old relay and as far as I can tell, I did not see any cracks. The reason I mention that is because someone may look at theirs and assume it is ok because there are no visible cracks in the solder joints.

Anyway.. I am a happy man thanks to all the help from everyone. Great job!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts