Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this happen twice in the past month. I have no idea what is happening. :unsure:

I went to start the 2003 Pilot. Put in the key. Just started to turn the key (possibly it made it to the ACC position). Then all power went off. No lights, no dashboard indicators, nothing. Like a power outage during a storm.

Opened the hood to look at fuses and nothing looked out of the ordinary. Tried to start again a minute or so later. Everything was fine. Car fired right up. Had to re-input the security code for the radio, but everything else was ok.

I thought maybe it was a bad battery cable, but nothing unusual while driving. Lights don't flicker or anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Battery clamps and grounds.

Reactions: Tahoefever

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
+1 on what Can said

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery clamps and grounds.
I did a cursory check and found, at least on the battery, that the clamps were tight. However, if it was related to this shouldn't the lights be flickering or something when I go down the road?

Thanks!

·
Registered
474 Posts
When car is running, power is coming from alternator - battery is actually receiving juice. Poor battery contact at this point would not be an issue.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
+1 on what Can said
can + Tahoefever + me = 3 :)

and with scorrpio we have a foursome for bridge. (I know nothing about that card game, but I've heard it's a thing.)

So follow the battery cables wherever they lead.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts
Have you had the battery tested? Strange electrical behavior can be caused by a faulty battery.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If you are having issues like that, I would invest in a jumpstarter. i.e.:

Saved my bacon a few times when I had battery issues with one of our cars.

Now, if the issue occurs again, and you got a charged starter, OR another car + jumper cables, you should be able to diagnose things a bit.
If you hook up external power to battery terminal, and things start working, then it has to be battery.

If you hook up external power to your battery terminals, and everything is still dark, then you got a faulty cable going from battery to car.
Try this: remove positive clamp, move negative clamp someplace bare metal on car chassis, re-connect positive.
If car comes alive, the fault is on the ground side. If not, then positive side is bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts