Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone,
My Pilot is just approaching 249K on it and just a few days ago started flashing the green "D". It happened once when I was driving out of a parking lot ~ 15-20 mph and popped up the 2nd time when I was on the interstate ~75 mph. The suv had been driving for quite a while when both of these happened. I've since driven many miles since and it has only popped up once and went away after I turned off the car and turned it back on. My scanner showed the code 70-3 A/T System Failure which I believe is also the P0700 code.

I have scoured various forum posts and watched plenty of youtube videos to see what to try next.
I have switched out the 3rd and 4th pressure switches today to no avail as the first drive after switching them out, the light started flashing again but remained off the time after that drive.. Also I checked for any rodent or wire damage finding nothing. Tranny fluid appears normal and was done by me about 10K ago (only a drain and fill once, not 3x), level is right between the dots.

The suv doesn't drive differently in any way when the light is flashing; shifts are soft, downshifts/ upshifts like normal when needed, no issues shifting when driven hard, no new smells, sounds, or visible leaks.

I will be switching out the tranny fluid first thing in the morning (3x drain and fills) and see if I can replicate the issue before I consider taking it in to the dealer. I still cannot find the fill plug for the life of me and the service manual isn't much help, so any help finding it would be greatly appreciated as I spilled more fluid out of the dipstick last time than actually went in.

Any suggestions or things that I could troubleshoot next are greatly appreciated!
Thank you,

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I still cannot find the fill plug for the life of me and the service manual isn't much help, so any help finding it would be greatly appreciated as I spilled more fluid out of the dipstick last time than actually went in.

You may wish to ignore his hysteria about only using OEM ATF and try some very good full synth Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

Edit: would be remiss if I didn't invite you to vote in the poll. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

You may wish to ignore his hysteria about only using OEM ATF and try some very good full synth Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

Edit: would be remiss if I didn't invite you to vote in the poll. :)
Thank you for the video! I must have missed that one when I was searching for the tutorials. I sure hope that filler bolt isn't as tight as everyone says that it is.. I've had pretty good luck with the Maxlife ATF in my other vehicles and will definitely give it a go in the morning! Thanks for the help

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
If it's never been used, it's still factory tight and will give you a run for your money. Wear gloves to spare your knuckles.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thank you for the video! I must have missed that one when I was searching for the tutorials. I sure hope that filler bolt isn't as tight as everyone says that it is.. I've had pretty good luck with the Maxlife ATF in my other vehicles and will definitely give it a go in the morning! Thanks for the help
Local HF has a good 1/2" breaker bar for $19 or less that will make the task much less eventful. Great addition to any tool box. Dash in + dash out at your local Walmart for the MaxLife ATF for less.
Best to have used OEM pressure switches...

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Best to have used OEM pressure switches...
Yes; experience has borne this out to be true. Use OEM pressure switches.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,954 Posts
Changing the third and fourth gear pressure switches (with OEM) and doing a 1x or 3x drain and fill are the first two things most folks try. That resolved the issue on my Pilot

Additional things I have seen people mention are the tranny temperature sensor and cleaning out the screens on the solenoids. I have tried neither but perhaps someone who has will chime in. I think @STMech has cleaned the screens.

If your Pilot is a 2003 or 2004 I believe those had an oil jet installed at the tranny fill bolt location.

And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot EX 4WD, 2007 Accord DX Sedan, 2.4L
13 Posts
Yes; experience has borne this out to be true. Use OEM pressure switches.
After a couple junk sensors, I ended up finding a company called GearSpeed out of California that makes Aftermarket switches, and I haven't had an issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all,
just wanted to give an update on the situation since it's been about a month since the initial issue started. I have rashly switched out the 3r and 4th gear switches with some generics bought from a tranny shop (before I asked the forum for advice). Issue still was intermittent, maybe 1 in 10 drives it reappeared. I bought some Valvoline Synthetic ATF and got to work. I drained the atf and tried with all my might to remove the filler bolt that had the jet kit installed; no bueno. I eventually found a funnel with a long hose and went to work filling. The fluid that was collected was extremely dark brown/black like used motor oil. After filling and going through the gears, I went for a test drive ensuring that I got over 50 mph to engage the torque converter and headed back to the garage. 3 more times later and the atf coming out of the plug was a rich red color.

Since the repairs I have not seen the tranny "d" light flash or any odd transmission related issues with more than 500-600 miles logged since repair. Yet, the Pilot fights back with a power steering leak somewhere (both o-rings replaced) but problem is still there; looks to be the top metal part of the high pressure hose. Additionally, there is now what appears to be fresh oil on the backside of the block above the oil pan, unsure of where it's coming from. Looks like the oil pan gasket also might need to be resealed.

To add insult to injury, I made the horrible decision to replace the oil filter housing o-rings, which unbeknownst to me the previous owner had "tinkered" with before stripping out the top and longest bolt. The helicoil / thread repair kit was of no use as the drill wouldn't fit in the tight space between the frame and crank pulley (I assume). After drilling by hand, the tap would not fit either way. I abandoned the project and just grabbed an M9x1.5 similarly sized length bolt and let it ride; no leaks so far and it's not stripped!

That being said, stick around boys and girls as I assume the role of "car doctor" as soon as the Minnesota winter goes away and the spring comes. Best wishes to you all.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Glad the 3x drain & fill with the Maxlife ATF elixir has maximized your transmission's life.

Now for another elixir for your power steering leak and oil leak, AT-205:

I even put some in a spray bottle to give my suspension and power steering seals, bushings and boots a re-plasticizing spritz.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts