Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed, especially on the driver's side, that the seat belt is marking up the plastic trim on the side of the b-pillar.

In case you're wondering, the b-pillar is that part of the vehicle that separates the rear end of the front door and the front end of the back door (confused)

I now have 3,800 miles on my PILOT, and I've noticed that from releasing the seatbelt, when getting out of my PILOT, that the medal on the seatbelt retracts and dings up the plastic on the b-pillar alongside the driver's seat.

I take incredible care of my PILOT (constantly washing detailing the interior) so to have this piece of plastic trim starting to get marked up leaves me a l'il ill!

Any ideas on a possible fix??????

·
Registered
919 Posts
Not much hope for fixing it since the nicks (if the're like mine) are too deep. You could get a replacement, but it would be the same cheap stuff.

Chris

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'll have to see if it's happening to mine. There might be a way to cover the area affected, maybe with vinyl in a matching color.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Dings

I think the plastic is too soft. At any rate, I actually had them off chasing rodents that have moved into the headliner. I was looking for entry routes and thought this pilar may be one.
It comes off fairly easy, plastic botton clips hold it on. You pull at the top and it pops off, pull a bit further, it is locked onto the bottom piece. It can be replaced but not sure if the new one will be any better.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I haven't notice this on mine, but then I never let my seat belt retract on its own. I always feed it back in a controlled manner. I hate the smacking sound they make when you let them retract on their own. It is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Always makes me cringe.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Rodents

Oh man is this a major gripe for me. I’ve mentioned it before but the problem is getting worse. My wife drives it and told me about marbles rolling around in the headliner. I took it for a drive and there were things up there that weren’t there before.
I pulled down a section of the roof liner and cleaned out a dozen or so acorns. So I put it back together and start looking for entry points. Few days later the racket is back, go through the headliner thing again and another dozen nuts roll out.
So this weekend I’m taking more of the liner down by the driver’s front roof pillar and find two newborn mice. Fortunately they were dead so I scooped them out. My worst fears have happened, if those things croak in the car I’ve got a 33K mouse casket ‘cause you can’t get in it for the smell. And they usually croak where you can’t find them.
The entry must be large because the acorns are likely from chipmunks and the mice roll along for the ride. They haven’t gotten into the passenger compartment yet; I set traps for a few days and got 0.
I think they are coming in through the inside of the front fender then into the body. I tried taking part of the inner wheel well out but managed to bust a bunch of those “reusable” plastic clips so that’s on hold until I can get a stash of them.
Short of taking the front fender off I’m at a loss.
I did get a lot of helpful hints last time around such as the cat or a mouse Pilot. But the cat weighs 40 lbs and isn’t into the mouse thing.
I’m not sure about warranty on this one? I’ll find out this week.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Seatbelts...

My seatbelts haven't (thankfully) marked up the B-pillar, but I have nicked the metal-looking trim on the console. I now have 2 ugly scrathces from the seatbelts on this trim I can't get out! :3: Anybody else have this problem? Or know how to fix it?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Stupid Clips

I am about to do an experiment.
I have some extra clips from the splash pan on my CR-V and a few new replacement clips for the Pilot.
The Pilot clips seem to be made to be only reusable in an emergency, where as the CR-V style clip seems to be designed to be used multiple times.
I am going to see if the CR-V clip is a suitable replacement for teh Pilot type clip.
I wil let eveyone know what I find.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Clips? What are the clips?
Splash Pan? What's a splash pan?
Now please know I feel really stupid right now. Probably something sooooo obvious! UGH! :32:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Another thread drift

The plasic parts, such as the innner fenders and the spash pan under the front of the engine are held on with neat little push to lock plastic clips.
They look easy to remove but the style used on the pilot seems to like to break when you try to take them out.
They are also used for the plastic piece above the radiator (but those are the easy to reuse type. (Like all the clips on the CR-V).

Just can not figure out why Honda has two types of clips, and why they would design some not to be reused?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Re: Rodents

lamuncha said:
Oh man is this a major gripe for me. I’ve mentioned it before but the problem is getting worse. My wife drives it and told me about marbles rolling around in the headliner. I took it for a drive and there were things up there that weren’t there before.
I pulled down a section of the roof liner and cleaned out a dozen or so acorns. So I put it back together and start looking for entry points. Few days later the racket is back, go through the headliner thing again and another dozen nuts roll out.
So this weekend I’m taking more of the liner down by the driver’s front roof pillar and find two newborn mice. Fortunately they were dead so I scooped them out. My worst fears have happened, if those things croak in the car I’ve got a 33K mouse casket ‘cause you can’t get in it for the smell. And they usually croak where you can’t find them.
The entry must be large because the acorns are likely from chipmunks and the mice roll along for the ride. They haven’t gotten into the passenger compartment yet; I set traps for a few days and got 0.
I think they are coming in through the inside of the front fender then into the body. I tried taking part of the inner wheel well out but managed to bust a bunch of those “reusable” plastic clips so that’s on hold until I can get a stash of them.
Short of taking the front fender off I’m at a loss.
I did get a lot of helpful hints last time around such as the cat or a mouse Pilot. But the cat weighs 40 lbs and isn’t into the mouse thing.
I’m not sure about warranty on this one? I’ll find out this week.
Oh Lamuncha...
I CANNOT believe you're STILL having rodent problems! Unbelievable!
From A mouse, to chipmunks with acorns, to now baby mice.
EEGADS!
What a "tail" this is. Oops... sorry. I really do feel for ya! No one should have to go through this! :(

·
Registered
241 Posts
Tails indeed....
Can you imagine what the service person is going to think when I go through the bats in the belfry story, and the retelling in the lunch room.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
lamuncha said:
Tails indeed....
Can you imagine what the service person is going to think when I go through the bats in the belfry story, and the retelling in the lunch room.
Would really like to be a fly on the wall for that one!
Good Luck! :13:

·
Registered
494 Posts
:jump3: I'm sorry lamuncha, but I just can't stop laughing about your rodent problem. I've never heard of that.

Do you park it in any particular place that this could be happening? If so you might want to rig up 1 or more video cameras to catch the Mouse, Chipmunk, Packrat, Muskrat, or Beaver in the act. Then you might be able to trace it to the entry point.

Good luck lamuncha.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Rodent Cam

The beaver cam is a good idea.
We feed at least half the birds in the Northeast, year 'round. and of course nature being what it is everything else follows. So my benevolence to the buzzards has bitten me in the saggy leather butt.
Well I park it in the driveway but interestingly enough the only two vehicles this has happened to, and I've owned a bunch, are Honda products. In the Acura they peeled the sound insulation from under the hood and moved it into the heating fan (squirrel cage type blower) and set up house. I have spent years taking that apart and cleaning them out. Finally one croaked at the heater core and it was all over, no way I could get that out. Could never sell the thing, had to donate it (the car that is).
So now this with the Pilot and I’m beginning to wonder.
I’m parking it in the garage as a short-term solution. This AM I’m heading to the dealer to have a “discussion” with the “advisors”.
Probably find Phe Phe LaPew in there next.

·
Registered
411 Posts
PILOTinginCO said:
Has anyone else noticed, especially on the driver's side, that the seat belt is marking up the plastic trim on the side of the b-pillar.

In case you're wondering, the b-pillar is that part of the vehicle that separates the rear end of the front door and the front end of the back door (confused)

I now have 3,800 miles on my PILOT, and I've noticed that from releasing the seatbelt, when getting out of my PILOT, that the medal on the seatbelt retracts and dings up the plastic on the b-pillar alongside the driver's seat.

I take incredible care of my PILOT (constantly washing detailing the interior) so to have this piece of plastic trim starting to get marked up leaves me a l'il ill!

Any ideas on a possible fix??????
This has been an issue for the MDX since day one. Acura (Honda) will replace in once, but after that they assume you'll be careful enough with it.

Just a characteristic of both vehicles.

Sorry I don't have better news for you.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have the same B pillar problem (as everyone that just lets go of the seat belt will).
To stop this from getting worse I filed down the plastic ridge on the back side of the belt's buckle (taking away the sharp edge doing most of the damage). So far it seems to help.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the problem also, but I am over it. I was thinking of seeing if I could find some rubber that is the same type that is used in the center tray. If I could find some I thought about using some spray glue and put a couple of small pieces of the rubber on the pillars and also put some on the rest of the center console (it should have been there to begin with). I really do not think that it would take away from the Pilot interior if it is done clean.

Anyone know where I can get some rubber sheeting??

·
Registered
136 Posts
puccetti said:
I have the problem also, but I am over it. I was thinking of seeing if I could find some rubber that is the same type that is used in the center tray. If I could find some I thought about using some spray glue and put a couple of small pieces of the rubber on the pillars and also put some on the rest of the center console (it should have been there to begin with). I really do not think that it would take away from the Pilot interior if it is done clean.

Anyone know where I can get some rubber sheeting??
I would like to get some of the rubber sheeting to line the extra trays and compartments and the rest of the sunglasses drop down holder too. Let me know if you find any
Regards,
Bob:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts