Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
The last owner of our Pilot had dogs that really jacked up the interior with scratches. I've got deep scratches on the dash especially the whole section of where the airbag is on the right.
Any suggestions on how to hide or fade them? I've heard the only solution is replacing the whole dash or a heat gun to fade them.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
option 1 : spend the money and replace the part.

option 2 : get some paint match , plastic filler the type you use for plastic models ...or bondo sand down the scratch area then fill the area with filler sand down again once dry till its smooth and paint.. take a little rubbing compound and lightly buff area.

or go back to option 1

Two golden labs ...been there

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would really like to replace that part if I knew where to look. Scrapyard? Online?

QUOTE=Tahoefever;1589601]option 1 : spend the money and replace the part.

option 2 : get some paint match , plastic filler the type you use for plastic models ...or bondo sand down the scratch area then fill the area with filler sand down again once dry till its smooth and paint.. take a little rubbing compound and lightly buff area.

or go back to option 1

Two golden labs ...been there[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Would really like to replace that part if I knew where to look. Scrapyard? Online?

QUOTE=Tahoefever;1589601]option 1 : spend the money and replace the part.

or go back to option 1

Two golden labs ...been there
[/QUOTE]

Many options

Ebay , junk yard , sometimes even amazon has oem parts hardest part will be getting the same color

·
Registered
844 Posts
Are we talking the panel that is between the glovebox/storage area and upper dash? The panel with the air vents?

That pops right off and is relatively inexpensive. Might be easier to just replace it with new or used vs the effort to sand/paint. Don't use a heat gun, it will discolor the part and make it "shiny".

Not sure what color your interior is, but mine is black and I had some scratches from wear. This is what I did.

For the scratched areas, I sanded down with real fine sandpaper. Then I got some SEM interior paint. For black, the SEM Satin Black is an almost direct match. I masked off the areas around the sanded/repaired area and gave it a few light coats. Results were perfect.

·
Registered
703 Posts
A blow dryer (less likely to cause damage in the hands of a DIY) set on high to heat the scratch area, then use a Popsicle stick or similar wood spudger and lightly rub the scratch edges to roll them over and remove any plastic "hair". If you don't press too hard most of the texture will be preserved and the scratch much less visible. If you are really patient, a wood spudger with a sharper bevel edge can be used to reform creases in the texture along the scratch path to further conceal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes sir, it's the panel with the air vents. Light gray. Would really like to replace it. Scratches are too add deep.

Are we talking the panel that is between the glovebox/storage area and upper dash? The panel with the air vents?

That pops right off and is relatively inexpensive. Might be easier to just replace it with new or used vs the effort to sand/paint. Don't use a heat gun, it will discolor the part and make it "shiny".

Not sure what color your interior is, but mine is black and I had some scratches from wear. This is what I did.

For the scratched areas, I sanded down with real fine sandpaper. Then I got some SEM interior paint. For black, the SEM Satin Black is an almost direct match. I masked off the areas around the sanded/repaired area and gave it a few light coats. Results were perfect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts