Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace all of the interior bulbs with LEDs because the stock yellow color just looks bad and is really dim. I've found lots of threads of people mentioning their attempts at figuring out which bulbs go where and what size LED will fit. But it seems like most people say the LEDs are either too loose in the sockets and have poor connection issues, or the bulbs are too big and they have to bend things and force them in. Are there certain size LEDs that people have actually had success with, and are happy with the performance and lifespan of the new LEDs? Some people apparently had their LEDs burn out in less than a year. Also, is there a list of what sizes are needed for a 2004 EX-L with RES? I've seen conflicting bulb sizes and quantities in multiple posts, so I'm not sure what's right.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here is what I use in my '04. A set of each size took care of all the lights. I put hardener into the hollow contact shells of the festoon, like gorilla glue or something, so that the shell doesn't mash when inserting into tight contacts or rattle loose down the road.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
58 Posts
Here is what I use in my '04. A set of each size took care of all the lights. I put hardener into the hollow contact shells of the festoon, like gorilla glue or something, so that the shell doesn't mash when inserting into tight contacts or rattle loose down the road.

Do you have before and after pictures?

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What size are the ones inside the rear gate for the cargo area? I think I read somewhere that they're bigger than the 31mm in the rest of the handle lights.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,306 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used the 31mm all around too, not the 44mm. The contacts are pinch style and I don't remember any being loose after installed and haven't had a problem.

The main thing is, don't crush the contact shell of the led putting them in.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
58 Posts
It looks great, I like it being as if the sun is out. My wife would hate it though.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought 31mm LEDs today and then got home and popped open the covers on the oh-Jesus handles and the bulbs in there are 39mm long. There's no way the 31mm festoons will fit in the sockets. They're too small in diameter and not even long enough to touch the two contacts. The T1 LEDs worked just fine in the front map lights and lower front door courtesy lights. But I'm going to need something else for the 4 handle lights.

·
Registered
576 Posts
... There's no way the 31mm festoons will fit in the sockets. They're too small in diameter and not even long enough to touch the two contacts.
I used part # 3910-65K6C-CB from SuperBright LED in the grab handles in my '03. They have worked fine for 18 months.

As you noted, everything seemed to be either the wrong length or the wrong diameter. I bought the right length, then made some shims from copper sheet to fix the diameter. It looked clunky before putting the covers back on, but works fine. It looks like stadium lights in the back now,

·
Registered
138 Posts
I apologies for telling you not the 44mm. After you posted, I went and actually looked at what I used. I forgot that I used some that were left over from when I LED'd my C1500. They were a no name brand I got off ebay.

Product Material property Auto part Fashion accessory Rectangle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts