Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably old news!

I think it was the TV version of Car and Driver, they were making their BEST TRUCK picks.

Best Small SUV: Honda CR-V

Best LARGE SUV : Honda Pilot

Best Minivan: Honda Odessey

:2: :2:

·
Registered
415 Posts
I saw it, too!

It did make me wonder how such a distinguished car magazine could make such a mistake when they placed the Pilot in the large category. Just because it seats 8 (three kids in the back) doesn't mean its a large SUV like the monster expeditions, land cruisers, etc.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Re: I saw it, too!

Jiaronnis said:
It did make me wonder how such a distinguished car magazine could make such a mistake when they placed the Pilot in the large category. Just because it seats 8 (three kids in the back) doesn't mean its a large SUV like the monster expeditions, land cruisers, etc.
I agree. I also saw the article. While I agree that the Pilot would be mismatched in the large SUV category, what a testament to the vehicle when matched against larger, more powerful and MORE EXPENSIVE vehicles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree that calling the Pilot a "large SUV" is a bit of an overstatement. Here is what Car and Driver said regarding the Pilot as a "large" SUV (from their website):

"Large is a word that covers a lot of territory in C/D's 5Best lexicon, embracing vehicles ranging up to the behemoth category. Applying that word to a mid-size SUV such as the Pilot may thus seem a stretch. Do not be deceived. Although the Pilot lacks the dimensions and towing capacity of some of the big body-on-frame traditionals, it surrounds remarkable cargo capacity for a vehicle in this class, as well as three-row seating and a rear-seat DVD entertainment option, the latest gotta-have features in family vehicles. And that's the Pilot's stated design priority: all-around family use."

The rest of the 5-best Trucks article can be found at:
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/5best/2003/2003_5best_trucks_opener.xml

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe that Edmunds had the Pilot in the large catagory for a while. As I recall it is about 5" wider than an Explorer (Midsize) and 2" narrower than an Expedition.

The part that interested me most was that Honda took first place in three catagories. :cool:

A car company doesn't do that very often.

emanders,
Thanks for the link.

Kip

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
For me, the Pilot is the best SUV for the buck, period. Sure, there's MDX, Murano, X5, RX300, RX330, XC90 and now, Cayenne and a few others, but I love this car. Despite the incessant problems I'm having with it, the pinging/tapping noise and the window scrunch, dollar for dollar, pound for pound, it's the best SUV out there.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The Pilot is certain the best SUV I have ever owned!

Of course, I've never owned any other SUV. My other vehicle is a minivan...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maybe...

C/D couldn't pick two "best" SUVs in the small catagory so they moved Pilot to the large catagory:2:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Re: Maybe...

xyz said:
C/D couldn't pick two "best" SUVs in the small catagory so they moved Pilot to the large catagory:2:
Whatever happened to the midsize category?

I agree with what emander said, C/D probably concluded that the Pilot was good enough to take both categories (mid and large).:29: :29:

:9: Ford Expedition

1 - 9 of 9 Posts