Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Pilot in for its first oil change at 4000 Miles.
The service writer/advisor (want are they calling those guys these days) asked me if I would mind waiting "at least" another 1000 miles.
Seems Honda is specificaly reccomending not to change the oil early for the first change. He said 5000 was the earliest they like to see, and would prefer closer to the owners manual 7500 miles.
Wonder whats in this mystry oil?:confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's more like what's not in this oil. "Break-in" oil has fewer additives and promotes proper engine initial wear. Your rings need a little wear to keep oil from going right by them and burning in the cylinder. I'm sure that there is more to this. Hopefully someone more informed will elaborate?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Moly

The factory uses an oil with an extra big dose of MOLYBDENUM DISULFIDE. This substance is well known to provide lubrication at high pressures/temperatures.

It has been discussed before.

The idea is that as the 'moly' coats the moving parts (especially the camshafts and other parts of the valvetrain) an extra layer of protection is built-up. This helps to ensure a look trouble-free lifespan for the highly stressed upper engine parts.

The same supplements are available in other products, notably the EOS product from GM.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry 'bout the wrong advice! I guess I was misinformed. Thanks for the correct reply renov8r

My grandpa tole me about it in a bar. Usually that's a good source!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if its MSO2

Molly is dark grey almost black, and the oil in te Pilot is faily clean looking.
I would bet that any molly in there is from pre-assembly lubricants used on the parts and not an oil additive.
Could be other additives and/or the lack of other typically added compounds.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Actually, certain vehicles DO use a special lightwieght 'seating' break-in oil...

You grandpa was probably thinking of some heavy equipment. I know some John Deere equipment uses that type of break-in oil, though for only the first hundred hours...

The Honda stuff is even extends to their Motorcycle Engines. Special blend of additives that are intended to embed themselves in the porous surface of the internal engine parts.

homergreg said:
Sorry 'bout the wrong advice! I guess I was misinformed. Thanks for the correct reply renov8r

My grandpa tole me about it in a bar. Usually that's a good source!

·
Registered
469 Posts
"Break-in" oil

Here's what R&T says...

Technical Correspondence — April 2002
On break-ins, boost and batteries

Edited by Tom Wilson
Honda Break-In OilAs the first oil change for my 2001 Honda Civic, the dealer recommends 10,000 miles (5000 miles for severe driving conditions). The salesman said this extended time is due to a special break-in oil that Honda uses, and if that oil is removed too early, the engine will not get necessary protection or proper break-in. My aircraft mechanic husband has always changed the oil in a new car engine at 500 to 1000 miles. What do you recommend?
Sue SpincicEldora, New Jersey

This one sounds like an old fish story to us. We could uncover nothing unusual about Honda oil after talking with both Honda and aftermarket tuners. We confirmed the change intervals you cite are Honda's recommendations, and that rather thin 5W-20 mineral oil is being used, but nothing about any mouse milk in the oil that improves the break-in process. We would feel comfortable changing the break-in oil at 500 and 1000 miles while continuing to use Honda-specified oil. It's likely overkill, but frequent oil changes are still the least expensive engine insurance going. Once past break-in, we'd defer to the factory-specified change interval. There certainly would be no harm in changing the oil at 5000 miles on a regular basis if you wanted to maintain an aggressive stance on oil cleanliness.

Here's the link...

Road and Track Technical Forum

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe its just me

But, I'm going with Honda, over R&T (and I am a 20 year R&T subscriber).

As for hand built engines, I change the oil in the ones I build after 20 min. Then again at a few 100 miles.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Re: Actually, certain vehicles DO use a special lightwieght 'seating' break-in oil...

renov8r said:

The Honda stuff is even extends to their Motorcycle Engines. Special blend of additives that are intended to embed themselves in the porous surface of the internal engine parts.

That's odd....I've owned quite a few Honda motorcycles and have never seen them recommend leaving the factory oil in for any specific number of miles like the autos do. Can you cite a specific example of this?

I've ALWAYS changed oil after a few hundred miles on a new car engine then after a couple of thousand the second time. On my motorcycles I've dropped the OEM oil after even less. I'm having a difficult time believing Honda's specs for this Pilot.....sure wish they'd elaborate and let us know just WHAT is special about this oil.

Al

·
Registered
52 Posts
From ownerlink motor oil FAQ:

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?
Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.
American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
this is my guess from ....

if you are living in southern california....have your first oil change after 1000 miles...if you are living in northern canada...have your first oil change near 7,500 miles ..........

I agree that Honda should release why to all of us...

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you explain your post

What do you mean by the California, va Canada comment?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Do you mean that the driving conditions are different in SoCal vs Northern Canada ?

akanla said:
this is my guess from ....

if you are living in southern california....have your first oil change after 1000 miles...if you are living in northern canada...have your first oil change near 7,500 miles ..........

I agree that Honda should release why to all of us...

·
Registered
797 Posts
03pilot said:
Do you mean that the driving conditions are different in SoCal vs Northern Canada ?

Thought that was interesting too, since the owner's manual says that Canadian's must follow the severe maintenance schedule!

·
Registered
311 Posts
The severe maintenance schedule says 3750 for the first change right? That is what a dealership representative recommended to me when I bought the car. I think they assume more short trips and lots of stop and go due to the traffic around here. I still have not decided, but I'm leaning toward more miles before my first oil change because the miles on my Pilot have mostly come from long highway trips.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Just do the first oil change at 5000 miles...you cannot go wrong :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just turned 3700 (hwy) miles, in only 2 months of ownership. I'll wait to reach the 5000+ benchmark, before considering my first oil change.

Interesting to note: I received a letter (form letter) from my dealership's service department today, congratulating me on my Pilot purchase and reminding me that my " 3 month/3000 mileage checkup, will be coming up soon".....

I think they need to update their form letter.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Well, I think I may have changed my mind for my first oil change. I was planning to wait until 5,000 miles, but after looking again at their definition of "severe" I find that I should probably go ahead and change it at 3,750. One of the conditions listed is driving in 90+ degree weather. We have had an unusually hot summer in our area and almost every single day since I've had my pilot has been 90+. For that reason alone, I think I'll make my first change at 3,750. Note that you should only follow the severe schedule if MOST of your driving is done under one or more of those conditions. If it's only occasionally that you drive under those conditions, you should follow the normal schedule.

Chris

·
Registered
199 Posts
Do it sooner!

I am almost as fanatic about oil changes as I am about rattles. I have always changed my own oil and look closely at what comes out of the engine. It is my humble opinion that the first two oil changes are the most critical and should be done much earlier than recommended by the dealer. In reality, it may make no difference (ie rental cars that likely are neglected). Shine a light on oil that has been drained from a new engine with say, 1000 miles on it and it will look like a metallic side show. Cutting the first and second filter open shows what is going on in a new engine. Parts are quicky going throug a smoothing process. The filter only catches particles down to a certain size. I simply want to get those abraisives out as quickly as possible. I usually perform the second change near 3000 and then go to Mobil 1 and change at 5000 intervals. I have always had great success with this and not experienced noticeable oil consumption with any of my vehicles. From what I have read, rings seat much more quickly now as opposed to years past. The machining processes are such that tolerances are way down and defects in the one per hundred thousand range. At least you didn't pay for this advice! BP

·
Registered
919 Posts
Bpilot,

I would normally agree with you regarding the first changes, if you check through some of the threads here and also look in your manual you'll find that Honda uses a break-in oil and doesn't recommend a drain prior to the normal or severe schedule. We have a Sienna and I drained at 500, 2500, 5000, then every 5k. It makes me nervous to wait because it goes against everything I've done in the past, but I'm trusting Honda on this one.

Chris

1 - 20 of 74 Posts