Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you all might be interested in this picture of the modified intake on our Pilot. Normally, in a situation like this I should be able to share with you how much improvement performance-wise our Pilot gained with this modification. Unfortunatly, we have less than 500 miles on our Pilot at this time and are a little hesitant to get on it to see how much HP we have gained! I can tell you that our Pilot is much more responsive than before the intake mod.

Yes we have less than 500 miles on the Pilot which means we have had it for a week, and no, my husband couldn't keep his hands off of it! :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nice Mods

:p Nice picture, very nice. Where did you get the Intake, any model # or particular? What does it do to increase the HP or quick response when you hit the gas. I think the Pilot is already quick response.

SS EX-L RES #35211

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Nice Mods

haknuman59 said:
:p Nice picture, very nice. Where did you get the Intake, any model # or particular? What does it do to increase the HP or quick response when you hit the gas. I think the Pilot is already quick response.

SS EX-L RES #35211
Actually, I made it myself, ala Home Depot and spare parts...The K&N filter is from my supercharger kit (not installed) from my Mustang, and the piping is 3" diameter PVC, and a 3" 90 degree elbow from Home Depot. It connects to the throttle body with a rubber connector. I also tapped the pipe for the existing connections for EGR, vacuum tubes, fitting them into rubber grommets. Overall cost (minus the cost of the K&N) was <$15. You can pick up a similar K&N cone filter from any performance parts store like Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com) for under $50.

Can't tell you how many HP it picked up, but SOTP feels more responsive. It is a bit louder than stock, but not loud at all (although I could be deaf from working on my V8 Mustang :D ). As my wife mentioned, we are still under 500 mi so we haven't flogged the car that hard yet!

are you worried that...
...you modified your brand new car under warranty?
No I am not...If there are any problems, the stock airbox bolts back into place in <10 minutes. An intake like this really will not affect anything significant, same goes for any catback exhaust for that matter.

Pilot's Wife's Husband :p

·
Registered
804 Posts
Re: Re: Nice Mods

Pilot's wife said:

Pilot's Wife's Husband :p
If you're "Pilot Wife's Husband," using algebra, dividing Pilot with Wife (Pilot/Wife) and dividing Wife with Husband (Wife/Husband), doesn't that just make you Husband?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I thought my ULEV was written in Silver?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will be doing some intake mods to the Pilot soon we've had the car a week also and now have 750 miles on it. I spank it hard in the first couple of gears so I kinda know now what kind of performance the Pilot has. Did a little impromto drag race with a friend in his YJ Jeep Wrangler. Walked on it :)

I'll prolly start the intake mods by releiving portions of the intake box below the filter. This will give a small performance gain without adding too much noise. Gotta be able to enjoy the DVDs even while accelerating hard.

I post what I do to it. Like every other vehicle I have ever owned, I just cant leave it stock.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Pilot's wife said:
Thought you all might be interested in this picture of the modified intake on our Pilot. Normally, in a situation like this I should be able to share with you how much improvement performance-wise our Pilot gained with this modification. Unfortunatly, we have less than 500 miles on our Pilot at this time and are a little hesitant to get on it to see how much HP we have gained! I can tell you that our Pilot is much more responsive than before the intake mod.

Yes we have less than 500 miles on the Pilot which means we have had it for a week, and no, my husband couldn't keep his hands off of it! :cool:
Nice clean install. I would like to make a couple of comments. With less than 500 miles how can you tell the difference between improvements from normal engine break-in and modifications? Also, with only 500 miles do you really have a performance baselline for comparison? The reason I ask is that my understanding is that the K&N type air filters really only help at high flow rates such as full throttle and only if the original setup is restrictive.
I noticed you also have a Mustang Cobra. If you ever take it to the drag strip maybe you could also take the Pilot and get some times with the mods and with it stock. Let us know if you do, I'm always open to new information.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Modification

One very large potential problem with the intake modification. If you inhale water your engine will instantly seize. No warnings or lights it just becomes a big boat mooring. It will mean engine replacement.

I realize that mod is being done, but in an SUV people tend to take on bigger puddles, slush and the rest.

I guess I have the same question as jungleJim. If your looking to smoke the tires why an SUV or Honda?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't think I would worry about hydro-locking that much. There appears to be enough protection from splashing and if you got the nose deep enough to take in water you would have other problems.
One other thing I wonder about. Most factory intakes draw the air from a passage to the outside to bring in cooler air. Most K&N setups draw from under the hood where the temperature is hotter. I wonder if the decrease in performance due to hotter air is offset by the lower restriction.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hydro-locking

It has been a problem in Ford Exp several years ago from splashing water not immersion.

I agree about outside air and would be concerned on those 90 plus degree days in stalled traffic.

·
Registered
186 Posts
pjb3 said:
I don't think I would worry about hydro-locking that much. There appears to be enough protection from splashing and if you got the nose deep enough to take in water you would have other problems.
One other thing I wonder about. Most factory intakes draw the air from a passage to the outside to bring in cooler air. Most K&N setups draw from under the hood where the temperature is hotter. I wonder if the decrease in performance due to hotter air is offset by the lower restriction.
There should be little concern with hydro-lock with engine compartment location of the filter. I have Halltech system on my Vette and it is a true bottom feeder - filter rides about 8 inches above the road exposed under the front of Vette. Major caution is I don't drive in water that is up to front facia. There have been instances of hyro-lock with exposed bottom feeder breathers.

bakerlar:1:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Modification

lamuncha said:
One very large potential problem with the intake modification. If you inhale water your engine will instantly seize. No warnings or lights it just becomes a big boat mooring. It will mean engine replacement.

I realize that mod is being done, but in an SUV people tend to take on bigger puddles, slush and the rest.

I guess I have the same question as jungleJim. If your looking to smoke the tires why an SUV or Honda?
As some of the others have already mentioned, the intake would have to be immersed before water will work its way into the motor. There is a thing called gravity that opposes the water from entering the intake. I think you overestimate the vacuum capability of the engine. In my case, the lower half of the stock intake (below the stock filter box) is still in place. If you look at the shape of this portion, it would have to be submerged before water would flood past it. Also keep in mind that I only replaced one filter (stock OEM paper type) with another (aftermarket oiled gauze type). If you are subjecting your car to that kind of water immersion, you will flood the motor regardless of the type of filter you have.

I personally will never (99.9% chance) subject my car to that kind of condition. I live in San Diego, where it hardly even rains. When it does, I still would avoid driving through severely flooded areas (this is just common sense). If you are planning to do that kind of severe off-roading, you would be better off with a more serious machine, such as a Range Rover.

If you wanted speed and performance, why did you

- buy an SUV?
- purchase a Honda?
I bought an SUV for all the same reasons that others have: more cargo space, more people capacity, greater feeling of safety, off-road capability. I bought a Honda for the same reasons you have: high reliability, low maintenance costs, high resale value.

If you are questioning my reasoning for modifying it, here is your answer: Because I want to.

We posted this thread to help others that might be interested in doing the same. If you aren't interested in it, that's your choice, and maybe you should stick to other threads that interest you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: Intake Mods

pjb3 said:

Nice clean install. I would like to make a couple of comments. With less than 500 miles how can you tell the difference between improvements from normal engine break-in and modifications? Also, with only 500 miles do you really have a performance baselline for comparison? The reason I ask is that my understanding is that the K&N type air filters really only help at high flow rates such as full throttle and only if the original setup is restrictive.
I noticed you also have a Mustang Cobra. If you ever take it to the drag strip maybe you could also take the Pilot and get some times with the mods and with it stock. Let us know if you do, I'm always open to new information.
Thanks for the comments. If you are interested, I can take more pics showing the details for all the EGR and other hose connections.

You are right about whether there is a significant difference with or without the intake. The main reason for doing this was just to see if I could...I suppose I could put the stock intake back in, drive around and get a baseline, then try the new intake, but honestly I'm not that concerned if I picked up a tenth in the qtr-mile...As for whether it makes a difference, I'd say yes, we can tell. Is it a lot? Probably not, no intake mod will make a tremendous difference (I have intake mods on my Cobra and on that motor only was worth 5-7HP). The stock airbox and intake piping is fairly restrictive, with these funky channels attached to it for the sole purpose of reducing noise...

LOL about taking it to the track...Imagine my Pilot lined up at the track against a 69 Big block Camaro that runs 11's!!! That's a tempting offer, but not gonna happen. I'll stick to running my soon-to-be-blown Mustang at the track...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Intake Mods

Pilot's wife said:

Thanks for the comments. If you are interested, I can take more pics showing the details for all the EGR and other hose connections.

You are right about whether there is a significant difference with or without the intake. The main reason for doing this was just to see if I could...I suppose I could put the stock intake back in, drive around and get a baseline, then try the new intake, but honestly I'm not that concerned if I picked up a tenth in the qtr-mile...As for whether it makes a difference, I'd say yes, we can tell. Is it a lot? Probably not, no intake mod will make a tremendous difference (I have intake mods on my Cobra and on that motor only was worth 5-7HP). The stock airbox and intake piping is fairly restrictive, with these funky channels attached to it for the sole purpose of reducing noise...

LOL about taking it to the track...Imagine my Pilot lined up at the track against a 69 Big block Camaro that runs 11's!!! That's a tempting offer, but not gonna happen. I'll stick to running my soon-to-be-blown Mustang at the track...

You may be surprised how much HP you gain with better breathing. C5 Vettes have very restrictive stock air box - Claims with bottom breather systems are in the neiborhood of 15-20 HP and there are Dyno results to prove it. It is definitely a mod on the Vette that you can feel in the seat of your pants. I'm not certain what the gains are on the Pilot, but would believe it's a difference you can tell. Just my $.02.:4:

bakerlar

·
Registered
119 Posts
Pilot's Wife:

What do you mean the Pilot is a little louder than stock? Are we talking engine noise or exhaust? In any case, it looks REALLY good! I wonder how much HP it added.........probably at least 5-10.

I did a mod on my Mustang that involved the stock air box and a piece of 4" PVC. I noticed right of the bat that it was more responsive.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My $0.02

I'd have to agree that the less restrictive intake makes a difference.. I'm sure the heat under the hood may offset some of the gain from the less restrictive intake, but generally speaking, I think there is still some performance to be gained..

On my 94 Civic, I replaced the stock air box with a similar set up that utilizes a K&N filter.. I have dyno results (on a Dynojet at Dynamic Autosports in Lake Forest, CA) that show a gain of about 2-3 hp across the RPM range until it hits VTEC, at which time it gains a fairly consistent 4-5 hp up to redline..

Pilot's Wife.. thanks for the info.. I was waiting for someone to try this out.. although I'll probably wait until someone makes a "kit" for it..

Oh, gotta add my $0.02 about earlier comments asking why Pilot's Wife would do this to a Honda SUV.. first, I don't think anyone here is really interested in "smoking tires" in a Pilot.. its more like, if there is additional horsepower to be made through a simple intake modification, what is the harm in that ? I personally dont know anyone that has ever turned down extra horsepower.. :2:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Re: My $0.02

aric said:

Oh, gotta add my $0.02 about earlier comments asking why Pilot's Wife would do this to a Honda SUV.. first, I don't think anyone here is really interested in "smoking tires" in a Pilot.. its more like, if there is additional horsepower to be made through a simple intake modification, what is the harm in that ? I personally dont know anyone that has ever turned down extra horsepower.. :2:
Ditto!!!

That's what I'm talkin about!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the votes of confidence, guys!!

What do you mean the Pilot is a little louder than stock? Are we talking engine noise or exhaust? In any case, it looks REALLY good! I wonder how much HP it added.........probably at least 5-10.
The increased noise is from a sucking sound coming from the intake under the hood. Exhaust note is unchanged. The most noticeable times is at initial startup, and when the engine is turned off. Don't know why that is...It is not annoying or overly loud at all...About HP gains, 5-10 is certainly possible..But until we have definitive proof (i.e. dyno sheets), your guess is as good as mine...

As far as a intake kit goes, there hasn't been one offered for this motor...FYI, the Pilot shares the same engine as the MDX (most probably know this) and the Odessey. We have done some homework by looking on the MDX and Odessey forums...both include sections for Performance Modifications (I believe The Worm also moderates the MDX forum). You'll see that there is no aftermarket exhaust available yet for the MDX, although there are a few who have had their local muffler shop weld them one (that's what we're planning to do).

You can check those out at:
www.acuramdx.org
www.odyclub.com

There's a guy with an Odessey running a 100hp shot of Nitrous...:eek: And some folks here thought we were crazy with a simple intake mod :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 90 Posts