Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been dealing with these issues for 3 months now. The instrument cluster and infotainment turn off completely while driving. This means I have no speedometer, no backup camera, no parking sensors, no brake assist, no blind spot warning and no audio including no warning beeps of any kind. This has happened many times and the more they try to fix it, the worse it gets. My vehicle has already been in the shop 5 times for a total of 33 days and every time they try to fix it, it gets worse.

You can watch videos of the issue happening tonight again. Tonight it shut off for 6 hours (and counting) and nothing I do will get it to turn back on.

We purchased this Pilot to take family road trips together but can't really use it at all. Could you imagine driving across the country without a speedometer or cruise control or any sound or radio? That's what I'm dealing with... a defective vehicle and a company that won't acknowledge it.

Videos from tonight:

Some on this forum suggested I file for Lemon Law relief. I did that several weeks ago. Honda denied my request without any explanation at all and refused to offer any relief of to even consider taking the vehicle back. The dealership can't fix the issue and said they are completely baffled by the issue. This is sad to me. I've bought and driven nothing but Honda vehicles for the last 12 years. I have been incredibly loyal to the brand and convinced many others to buy Honda... and this is how they treat me. It's hard to explain the level of disappointment at being treated like this. The dealership (Auto Nation Honda in Chandler Arizona) and Honda Corporate don't seem to take the issue seriously or consider this a safety concern and they keep asking me to drive it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Lemon laws vary from state to state, but it is certainly not the dealer's decision whether to buy the vehicle back or not! You need to consult an attorney that specializes in automobile lemon law. Most states bring in an arbitrator who makes the decision. Be sure to be able to document all the service appointments and the results. If you succeed in getting Honda to buy your vehicle back, and you decide to stay with Honda(the vast majority of Pilot owners have zero issues), I would never set foot at that dealership again.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Have the dealer check out TSB A19-097. Deals with the MOST Bus Network. This network links all of the units together, see last page. There may be a MOST connector that is not seated properly or is damaged, they appear to be very fragile. Vehicles with system software version B.1.0.24 or higher now have the capability to log MOST bus network failures.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Are any failures occurring on vehicles without Navigation and RES (EX and EX-L w/o Nav)? Did previous 3rd gen model years implement a MOST bus? The TSBs and Service News articles I’ve seen apply to 2019 Pilots and 2018/2019 Odyssey’s. Safety critical data like speed, transmission selection, etc should be sent over the F-CAN bus. Seems like a SW error to allow a MOST bus failure to disable the gauge module. 2018 Accords were recalled for SW related backup camera failures. Quite a few complaints for this issue are logged on the NHSTA web site, I would think this issue would also be worthy of a safety recall.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Lemon laws vary from state to state, but it is certainly not the dealer's decision whether to buy the vehicle back or not! You need to consult an attorney that specializes in automobile lemon law. Most states bring in an arbitrator who makes the decision. Be sure to be able to document all the service appointments and the results. If you succeed in getting Honda to buy your vehicle back, and you decide to stay with Honda(the vast majority of Pilot owners have zero issues), I would never set foot at that dealership again.
I consulted an attorney. The attorney sent a letter requesting that Honda buy the vehicle back. Honda America, not only refused to buy the vehicle back, they refused to offer any compensation or relief whatsoever. My vehicle has been in the shop 5 times and 34 days now and Honda America does not care and certainly is unconcerned about this issue. I keep bringing it back to the dealership telling them that everything shuts off while I'm mid-drive and the dealership just shrugs their shoulders and says "there's nothing we can do, you have to talk to Honda Corporate" and Honda America shrugs their shoulders and says (paraphrase) "we won't do anything".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Are any failures occurring on vehicles without Navigation and RES (EX and EX-L w/o Nav)? Did previous 3rd gen model years implement a MOST bus? The TSBs and Service News articles I’ve seen apply to 2019 Pilots and 2018/2019 Odyssey’s. Safety critical data like speed, transmission selection, etc should be sent over the F-CAN bus. Seems like a SW error to allow a MOST bus failure to disable the gauge module. 2018 Accords were recalled for SW related backup camera failures. Quite a few complaints for this issue are logged on the NHSTA web site, I would think this issue would also be worthy of a safety recall.
I agree, but there is no safety recall (yet) and Honda America has refused to buy the vehicle back or take the issue seriously. I petitioned relief under Lemon Law through my attorney and they denied any relief and refused to take the vehicle back. Now I have to file a lawsuit just to get relief...extending my time driving this defective and unsafe vehicle.

If I were Honda America I would do everything in my power to get this defective vehicle off the road. But they seem unconcerned with that.

They've had 5 chances now and every time they say "OK, it's fixed"...and then it gets worse. Most of the time, issues return a after a few minutes of getting it back.

This video was taken several hours after it shut off this time. The next morning it was still off and there was nothing I could do to get it to come back on.

It's back at the dealership now...

·
Administrator
15,510 Posts
If your dealer cannot handle the repairs, try another. Quality varies. You also at a certain point in time have lemon law potential, depending on your state's local laws.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your dealer cannot handle the repairs, try another. Quality varies. You also at a certain point in time have lemon law potential, depending on your state's local laws.
These repair suggestions are coming from Honda Corporate technicians. After the first bout, the dealership said that they were relying 100% on Honda Corporate for direction on what to do and then just executing the repair. Honda Corporate has no idea how to fix this or what is happening with my car. That's the more frustrating part. My vehicle is their guinea pig...

·
Registered
15 Posts
They still don't seem to know how to resolve this issue - esp since the 2018/19 Honda Odyssey and Passport use the same dash also.
They are going to responsible for a huge lawsuit that's for sure., which civil lawsuit is already in the works.
The most I did for my issue was unplug a fuse under the hood. (b/c even after my car was off - the infotainment screen was still one) - so only way was to pop out the fuse and plug back in. It since then had a update for the software on the honda pilot 2019 (touring) so havne't really tested out as i continue to use the lighter -port with exteral USB charging rather than use the APPLE CARPLAY available dash plug.

·
Registered
94 Posts
These repair suggestions are coming from Honda Corporate technicians. After the first bout, the dealership said that they were relying 100% on Honda Corporate for direction on what to do and then just executing the repair. Honda Corporate has no idea how to fix this or what is happening with my car. That's the more frustrating part. My vehicle is their guinea pig...
There may still be value with taking the Pilot to another dealer as Honda Tech is relying on your dealer techs to take certain steps first and to relay all the available information. If your local dealer's techs are not communicating information that they think is not part of the problem, but in fact is crucial to a successful outcome, then the issue will never be resolved.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's back at the dealership now...
[/QUOTE]
I have been dealing with these issues for 3 months now. The instrument cluster and infotainment turn off completely while driving. This means I have no speedometer, no backup camera, no parking sensors, no brake assist, no blind spot warning and no audio including no warning beeps of any kind. This has happened many times and the more they try to fix it, the worse it gets. My vehicle has already been in the shop 5 times for a total of 33 days and every time they try to fix it, it gets worse.

You can watch videos of the issue happening tonight again. Tonight it shut off for 6 hours (and counting) and nothing I do will get it to turn back on.

We purchased this Pilot to take family road trips together but can't really use it at all. Could you imagine driving across the country without a speedometer or cruise control or any sound or radio? That's what I'm dealing with... a defective vehicle and a company that won't acknowledge it.

Videos from tonight:

Some on this forum suggested I file for Lemon Law relief. I did that several weeks ago. Honda denied my request without any explanation at all and refused to offer any relief of to even consider taking the vehicle back. The dealership can't fix the issue and said they are completely baffled by the issue. This is sad to me. I've bought and driven nothing but Honda vehicles for the last 12 years. I have been incredibly loyal to the brand and convinced many others to buy Honda... and this is how they treat me. It's hard to explain the level of disappointment at being treated like this. The dealership (Auto Nation Honda in Chandler Arizona) and Honda Corporate don't seem to take the issue seriously or consider this a safety concern and they keep asking me to drive it.
Hello HondaKane,
I am sorry to hear about your pilot. I own a 2016 Pilot EXL AWD & I brought my vehicle multi times! I replaced the TSB because the FM stereo sucks and it still sucks. Then sometime this year, my pilot experienced the same exact issue like yours BUT only to the speedometer. The infotainment was OK but there's NO speedometer, no indicator at all. Its was like dark and blank! So I need to use my WAZE app to show how fast I drive. I went to Automall Honda in Northern CA and explain the situation and they replace the speedo meter for FREE since it was still under warranty.

Anyway the dealer where you bought your Pilot is responsible to replace everything in your car if its still under warranty ~ 36 mths or 36000 whichever comes first.

J

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There may still be value with taking the Pilot to another dealer as Honda Tech is relying on your dealer techs to take certain steps first and to relay all the available information. If your local dealer's techs are not communicating information that they think is not part of the problem, but in fact is crucial to a successful outcome, then the issue will never be resolved.
That is true. Maybe I will take it to anther dealership next.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm sorry your having these issues. Like one of the first post. The most network does rely on multiple systems. If there is any issues in any section then the whole system will go down. I have repaired two vehicles with the same concern. One had a poor connection at the speedometer and another one at the audio unit. There is a way to trace the problem to a section of the car but the technician needs to diagnose during the problem. Otherwise you need to check the whole vehicle at every possible connection of the most system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is true. Maybe I will take it to anther dealership next.
Hi HondaKane, I bought a 2019 Honda Pilot Touring in last May. Initially I also had crackling noise coming from the speakers. I initially though it is windshield being hot and the AC running cold that causing that. When the weather started cooling down I noticed the issue still there. It is random. Some trip nothing happens and some trips the noise is persistent. The noise kept becoming louder and louder until one night I was driving on the highway the noise was so loud I though the speakers are going to explode and suddenly everything shut off (While I am driving) for around 20 seconds and the dashboard booted again. I took it to the dealer next day. He kept it for around a week. They called me and he told me he called Honda in California and they told him to reset the whole system.

I am driving it now for like 2 weeks without a single noise yet. Crossing finger. I will be watching the thread and update you if things changed. If you want I can check the software version I have now if it helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All. Bought a 2020 pilot elite 3 weeks ago. Few days ago the radio starting cracking loudly. Then I remember reading something over at the odyssey forums. Then I found this thread. Unfortunately, it's all coming true for me. The gauge display reboots randomly. The nav display was doing the same thing, and now it's dead.
I'm going to the dealer tomorrow. but meanwhile, there's a lot of mention about MOST BUS. Any one know where these connections are?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, just to update everyone. It has been now 3 months without any issue. Last time the dealer spent a week with the car calling Honda engineers in California. The dealer told me that Honda asked them to change the car wiring harness under the dashboard. The dealer also told me 5 other customers with the elite version are having exact problem. Seems it is hitting the Elite and above trim. I hope it helps anyone reading this thread.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Mine is at the dealer for the fourth time. It's been two weeks this time. The saga is detailed in another thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All. Bought a 2020 pilot elite 3 weeks ago. Few days ago the radio starting cracking loudly. Then I remember reading something over at the odyssey forums. Then I found this thread. Unfortunately, it's all coming true for me. The gauge display reboots randomly. The nav display was doing the same thing, and now it's dead.
I'm going to the dealer tomorrow. but meanwhile, there's a lot of mention about MOST BUS. Any one know where these connections are?
Hello. For the most network it's a series of coaxial style cables than run an input and output thought the entire system. Base model only carry the audio unit, gauge control module and the stereo amplifier unit.
Here is a bulletin Honda just put out for the technician to trace the problem. Gives us technicians a little insight in the area to look into.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts