Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted fog lights on my Pilot, but I did not want to pay the high prices charged by my dealer � and was not keen on buying the Honda fog lights and going through the installation myself. Cutting holes in my bumper fascia was not something high on my list of preferred activities.

I selected PIAA 1400 Platinum fog lights � because of their size primarily. I bought these lights from www.imotorgear.com. This was the first time I have ordered from these folks and they performed as expected. The lights were shipped on time and were just what I had ordered.

Now, the fun begins. After reviewing the installation instructions for the Honda fog lights, I hoped that the single connector wire that is referred to was a low beam sense wire. So, I removed my air cleaner and tried to determine whether there was power there with the low beams on or not. I did not cut the wire, but tried to insert probes into the connector. In any case, I could get no verification that this wire was energized with the low beams � so I put everything back together.

I really needed a wire that was energized so I elected to use the one easiest to find � at the headlight itself. I tapped the right headlight (orange/white wire) using a piercing connector. I took some pix, but couldn't figure out how to get them into this post, so here is a link:

http://www.pbase.com/mikemay/fog_lights

The next challenge was getting the wire harness from the inside of the passenger compartment into the engine compartment. I ended up cutting the connector off of the switch harness supplied by PIAA and using a coat hanger to fish the wire alongside the wire harness just above the brake pedal. Then I respliced the connector back onto the harness.

The rest of the electrical connection was easy. The battery hookup was applied to the accessory post on my battery (the dealer may have installed the post for the towing package).

I tie wrapped the relay to the cruise control throttle cable (hey, it was convenient) and used a nearby grounding bolt (not the main battery grounding bolt).

Mechanical Installation

I took out the cover plate for the fog light switch and drilled a hole at the bottom of the cover plate just large enough for the switch cable. Then I routed the switch through the opening, reinserted the cover plate and used the supplied adhesive backed Velcro to attach the switch.

Now all I had to do was attach the lights themselves. I decided that I did not want to cut anything or rely solely on adhesive (supplied with the PIAA lamps) to hold the lamps in place. Because I live in a salt infested state (in the wintertime) I was not keen on drilling holes in the bumper for a custom bracket, so I elected to use the bolts that hold the bumper fascia to part of the under body trim � this bolt is located just inside the headlights on the lower part of the bumper.

I had to drill out the bracket in order to make the bolt fit.

When I turned everything on � it all worked!

The fog lights are REALLY bright to look at � so I was careful to aim them level or a little down.

These lights do a great job of lighting up the sides of the road � I have not had to use them in fog, but where I live, it�s more likely to be in a blizzard. I may switch the power sense to the parking lights, but I like having the fog lights go out when I go to high beam and I am not sure that I want them to flash with the key lock and unlock. This is an easy switch to make � just cut one wire and connect to another.

I am happy with this addition - I did not have to shell out large amounts of cash, I did not have to carve up any parts of my Pilot and I got great results - :cool:

Mike

·
Registered
964 Posts
Great explanation of the install mmay. I tried to view the pictures but there appears to be a problem either with the link or with the site itself. I'm sure you could get some advise from kemosabe on how best to post your pics. I think the key is to save them small enough and as a .jpg in order to make the size fit under the limit.

I'll be anxiously awaiting the pics then I will add the link to the DIY Accessory Installation link I started about a month ago.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
mmay said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

I took some pix, but couldn't figure out how to get them into this post, so here is a link:

http://www.pbase.com/mikemay/fog_lights;

[ S N I P P E D ]

mmay: In order to post pictures, you need to attach the file to your post. At the bottom of the text field (where you type in your post), you should see an option to Attach file: similar to the image below. Click on the Browse... button to find the image that you'd like to attach.

When you click the Submit Reply button, your post will be posted along with the attached image.

Max file size is 200000 bytes... Good luck!!! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you attach more than one image?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
A few notes

Where you picked up power from the battery, did you use a fusable link, or is the fuse a very short distance from that battery?

If the fuse is more than a foot from the battery I would put in a fusable link right at the battery terminal. Very cheap insurance against a short causing a fire.

The lights look good. As for aim, fog lights should be aimed to drop about 2' at 20'.
The height measurments is taken at the center of the lamp, and at the upper cut-off of the beam.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:)

PIAA protected those of us who are ignorant - The main fuse is about 8 inches from the battery terminal.

I am very impressed with the PIAA package - very clean, seems to be very high quality.

Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
upgraded photos

I have upgraded the photos posted to pbase - made them larger.

http://www.pbase.com/mikemay/fog_lights

Can people see these images, or do I need to upload them here too?

Pbase is a nice alternative, because it reduces the time for loading for those poor bandwidth disadvantaged souls out there.

If you want to see larger images, click on the photos and they will open in a larger format.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
mmay said:
Can you attach more than one image?
Unfortunately, you can only attach one image file at a time... if you want to add more images, then you'd have to add another post... :(

I think having your images on the pbase server is fine!! Probably no need to port them over here, too!! Those PIAA lights look great -- I had PIAAs on my Passport, too!!! :29:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:2:

Thanks, unless I have others who cannot get to the pbase server, I'll just leave them there.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
mmay said:
:2:

Thanks, unless I have others who cannot get to the pbase server, I'll just leave them there.
I think pbase was down earlier this afternoon (I tried for about a 1/2 hour at around 3:30pm), but it seems fine right now!! I also like the fact that if you want to see a larger image, you can click on the thumbnail!!! :) :7:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Lights look good mmay! Also thanks for the idea of using pbase. Seems like I can never post pictures on here either because my pictures are so big. I just signed up with them too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts