Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m installing a JVC radio to my 2005 pilot using Maestro SW adapter for steering wheel control. As I’m connecting the wires to the original 20 Pin connector per instruction, there is No Brown wire on Pin 11 but white/green wire. Do they have the same use? The Brown wire is for steering-wheel control. Also, one of the wire from Maestro SW is supposed to connect to the 14 pin Navigation connector which is under the passenger seat, I don’t know how that is going to work. Any one have done that?
thanks

·
Registered
744 Posts
What trim is your 2005 Pilot and does it have factory navigation? What JVC model are you installing?

If I go on iDatalink website and select Pilot 2005 w/Nav, I get the instructions as you list them.

When I pull up install instruction for '05 Pilot without Nav, I get:
purple/red goes to A3 (green/red)
red and black go to ACC and GND, the remaining ones are not connected - no brown A11, no Nav module connections.

To me, it looks like you have non-Nav model, but pulled install instructions for a Nav model instead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What trim is your 2005 Pilot and does it have factory navigation? What JVC model are you installing?

If I go on iDatalink website and select Pilot 2005 w/Nav, I get the instructions as you list them.

When I pull up install instruction for '05 Pilot without Nav, I get:
purple/red goes to A3 (green/red)
red and black go to ACC and GND, the remaining ones are not connected - no brown A11, no Nav module connections.

To me, it looks like you have non-Nav model, but pulled install instructions for a Nav model instead.
I do have navigation, EXL. The stereo is JVC KD-T710BT. I just can’t find the brown wire on the original 20 pin connector, possibly they used white/green instead on Pin11?

·
Registered
744 Posts
The white/green A11 on 2003-2005 is listed as 'Connection to Nav unit - audio directions'. Definitely would not connect that. On models 2006 -2008, A11 is in fact brown and is listed as 'remote ground'. I would try and leave that wire (FEED) unconnected and see if it works like that. If not, I would get in touch with iDataLink support.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The white/green A11 on 2003-2005 is listed as 'Connection to Nav unit - audio directions'. Definitely would not connect that. On models 2006 -2008, A11 is in fact brown and is listed as 'remote ground'. I would try and leave that wire (FEED) unconnected and see if it works like that. If not, I would get in touch with iDataLink support.
Since the wiring diagram for 2005 which shows the Pin11 is white/green and it points to the Nav, I went ahead tapped the Pink/red wire from the Maestro SW to that Pin11, instead of Connector B(14 pins) for Nav which is under the passenger seat as the Maestro instructed. And left the black/white wire alone. I connected everything together, the new stereo works fine, the factory Nav works but lost Voice, and the steering wheel control works on the volume only, can’t switch channels.
Does that sound right to you? Thanks :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Just making sure - you flashed the Maestro firmware via USB, right?
Ok, that black/white wire,you just ground it (short it to the black)
The pink/red (SWI2) definitely does NOT go to that white/green. That wire is responsible for phone-related buttons on the steering wheel. Rather, just leave it disconnected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just making sure - you flashed the Maestro firmware via USB, right?
Ok, that black/white wire,you just ground it (short it to the black)
The pink/red (SWI2) definitely does NOT go to that white/green. That wire is responsible for phone-related buttons on the steering wheel. Rather, just leave it disconnected.
Yes, the Maestro was pre-programmed on computer, went through the steps. There is black wire from the adaptor already, why would they have the black/white for ground also? The maestro instruction said to connect the white/black to Brown which is to the steering wheel, but I don’t have the brown wire. Anyway, maybe I will just leave those two wires from maestro untouched. They need to update their instructions in my opinion.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The 'brown' (A11) wire is present on 2006+ models, and it is 'steering wheel remote ground'. If you look at the diagram for 2005 and 2006, steering wheel controls have two wires going out:
One is red/green that goes to 'A3' pin. The other wire on 2006 is brown and indeed goes to pin A11. On 2005, that other wire goes to a ground point. Just because you have a 'power ground' on your maestro (supplied via black wire) does not mean you have proper steering controls ground. Just try connecting the white/black wire to a grounding point and see if it improves things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 'brown' (A11) wire is present on 2006+ models, and it is 'steering wheel remote ground'. If you look at the diagram for 2005 and 2006, steering wheel controls have two wires going out:
One is red/green that goes to 'A3' pin. The other wire on 2006 is brown and indeed goes to pin A11. On 2005, that other wire goes to a ground point. Just because you have a 'power ground' on your maestro (supplied via black wire) does not mean you have proper steering controls ground. Just try connecting the white/black wire to a grounding point and see if it improves things.
Ground point, you mean attach the white/black to the black or some where else? Should I leave the pink/red out not to attach anything?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Whichever is easier. Either attach to black wire directly or to a nearby ground point - should not matter.
Pink/red - If you can't find that "Navigation module" they talk about, just leave unconnected.

Does your steering wheel actually have buttons for phone control or voice?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whichever is easier. Either attach to black wire directly or to a nearby ground point - should not matter.
Pink/red - If you can't find that "Navigation module" they talk about, just leave unconnected.

Does your steering wheel actually have buttons for phone control or voice?
Ok, got it. No, the steering wheel control is only for radio sound and channels, not for phone nor voice. The volume is working, I can adjust it up or down, but just can not switch channels on the steering wheel control. I have heard that the adapter doesn’t always work well, depends on the cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts