Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the crossbars to install on the roof rails on my EX Pilot. Unfortunately, I can't get passed the first step: "Insert a small flat-tip screwdriver into the hold on the inside of the roof rail base and relaease retaining tab, then remove the front cover."

I inserted the screwdriver into the hole, but the front cover won't budge.

Anyone have any experience or advice?

Much appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
crossbars

Oh man, are you going to have fun ! Use the website search function to find other posts about this "problem".
My advice would be to take it back to the dealer and let him break the first set of roofrail covers while attempting to install the crossbars. Also make sure they don't put the crossbars on backwards.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Dealers Instructions for Cross Bars;

Step 1; Write up sales invoice for Inflated Price. (Thinking, he got me down to MSRP, I have to make some money)
Setp 2; Add Inflated installation estimate. (2 hours, full rate)
Step 3; Have customer leave vehical there all day (Promisss that it would be done at 5:00)
Step 4; Start work at 4:30 (Thinking this should only take 1/2 hour)
Step 5; Read instructions (Skip this step if you are an expert)
(The definition of expert is "Have sucessfully cashed one paycheck as a Honda dealers employee.)
Step 6; Break clip removing roof rack cap
Step 7; Scratch roof while breaking clip
Step 8; Quickly check instructions for better way to remove cap. (Return instructions to trash)
Step 9; Install roof cross bars (preferably backwards)(The lable "FRONT" obviously means this is the front bar, not this side toward the front.)
Step 10; Reinstall Caps (Broken cap looks ok on the outside, so replacement is not necessary)
Step 11; Explain to customer that "All roof racks make that much wind noise"

OK, just kidding :2:

·
Registered
78 Posts
from srelyea
I got the crossbars to install on the roof rails on my EX Pilot. Unfortunately, I can't get passed the first step: "Insert a small flat-tip screwdriver into the hold on the inside of the roof rail base and relaease retaining tab, then remove the front cover."

I'm going through the same thing right now. I put on my running boards with no problems, but those crossbars are tough. If only we could get that front cover off.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm going to try the bent nail trick. Hope it works.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Use the "tricks" together

Bent nail and prying with the screwdriver.

Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I talked to the service advisor where I bought my Pilot and ask him what they use to get the cap off. He showed me a small flat tip screwdriver bent at an 90 degree angle. He said it was a pain to get them off though. Looks like N_Jay's bent nail trick was right on target.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just an FYI as Scoobs has already mentioned -

Be sure to put the crossbars on facing the correct direction. There is a front and back side to them and if you put them on backwards, you will get some nasty wind noise!! :28:

Just something to keep in mind. My dealer screwed mine up and they didn't even know there was a front and back side!!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Dealers make a mistake?

Never, that does not happen.
Those guys are so good they don't even need to read the instructions.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Process Interupt
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
System Halted
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sarcasm Filter Failure
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
6 Posts
There's lots of site online to get the OEM crossbar from Honda at a really great price. It will definitely fit and look a lot nicer than the after market crossbar. I do have yakima snowboard and biker rack that clamp on the my bar nicely.

P.S. (To anyone who's having problem w/ installing their crossbar and the person that took time to put together these instruction)
http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showt...=&threadid=1686
Use that link. Awsome instruction. Pretty quick and easy if you have the right tools. If not just pay the $30 to have it install at a near by Honda dealer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I installed the cross bars and the Honda Pilot ski rack. Is there a good cargo container that you like that can go on the cross bars along with the ski rack? I assume it must be about 1/2 the width of a normal cargo container.

Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
263 Posts
srelyea said:
I installed the cross bars and the Honda Pilot ski rack. Is there a good cargo container that you like that can go on the cross bars along with the ski rack? I assume it must be about 1/2 the width of a normal cargo container.
Check out the Thule Cascade 1100. It might work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
OEM cross bar positioning mark

Okay, I've done the hard part of removing the end cap cover and unscrewed the end base mount. Now, for the life of me, I can't find those markings along the rails where the cross bars should be positioned!!! I've done everything but put a magnifying glass to it. I had my flash light out and my nose inches from it but no marks to be found. Can anyone tell me where along the rails they should be located at? Perhaps someone can tell me how far from the front and back the bars should be and how far apart they are from each other. This should give me a ballpark on where to position my cross bars. Thanks a lot, in advance, for your help on this!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: OEM cross bar positioning mark

elduderino said:
Okay, I've done the hard part of removing the end cap cover and unscrewed the end base mount. Now, for the life of me, I can't find those markings along the rails where the cross bars should be positioned!!! I've done everything but put a magnifying glass to it. I had my flash light out and my nose inches from it but no marks to be found. Can anyone tell me where along the rails they should be located at? Perhaps someone can tell me how far from the front and back the bars should be and how far apart they are from each other. This should give me a ballpark on where to position my cross bars. Thanks a lot, in advance, for your help on this!!
I had a hard time finding that mark too when my wife found it. You have to look real hard for it. The mark is a very small dot. Imagine this, you have a block of steel, and you have a dot punch, you hammer the "dot-punch" onto the steel, and you saw only a small spot on that block made by the "dot-punch". You then paint it black.
Hope you get the idea that small spot mark cover with black paint, and that is how it looks like on your side rail.

If you need the estimate location where the mark can be found, the rear mark is about 15inch away from the edge of the rear side rail, while the front mark about 15.5inch away from the edge of the front side rail (to measure the front you have to put on the end cap that you remove). Or take the rear measurement and add 800mm in between (see the picture under the "Use and Care" in the instruction)

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: OEM cross bar positioning mark

elduderino said:

They are very small "indentations" on the roof rack. I had to find them in the sunlight. I could not see them with a flashlight either.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts