Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does somebody have instructions how to route the video cable of a backup camera on a license plate frame to the area where the radio/GPS is located? Note that I am going to remove the old GPS display with a new 3rd party unit which will be my display. Btw, do I really need to drill a hole into the car to route the cable?

I did see the post below but it's for a 2009. I suspect it's probably different for a 2005.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So did you drill a small whole into the case of the backup camera? Also where did you route the cable through? And then did you go along the passenger side or driver side? And along the roof or along the floor or switch somewhere in between? Do you recall which panels you had to take off?

·
Registered
16 Posts
What I did was remove a lightbulb access panel on the inner tailgate plastic, removed the left license plate light, then use a snake tool to grab the wire I fed into tailgate interior out of licence plate light. Then plug license plate light back in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jcdabney, that is what I ended up doing. However, I was drilling a large hole (the cable had a thick part I had to route through) into the side of the clear plastic cover for one of the two license plate lights. Did you do this without drilling a hole? Do you have a picture? It's too late now for me but I am curious and maybe it will help someone else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm o
Jcdabney, that is what I ended up doing. However, I was drilling a large hole (the cable had a thick part I had to route through) into the side of the clear plastic cover for one of the two license plate lights. Did you do this without drilling a hole? Do you have a picture? It's too late now for me but I am curious and maybe it will help someone else.
Sure! Just as soon as I get to my car I'll upload my 'solution' haha spoiler alert, itisnt pretty

·
Registered
517 Posts
When installing backup cam on my old 2007 Pilot

Opened up the camera body.
Took a picture of the board for reference
Unsoldered wires from the board,
Drilled a tiny hole in the tailgate.
Fed the wires through the hole.
Soldered wires back to camera board
Closed camera back up.
Mounted the camera.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
scorrpio, I actually opened the camera housing as well to see if maybe the wires were connected to the board via a small connector. But they were soldered and while I have done soldering before I didn't fee like messing with this. Maybe I should have...So you drilled a hole through the metal? No rusting? Or did you put some caulk around it?

·
Registered
517 Posts
The camera came with a rubber gasket to put between camera and body, seemed to seal things fine. I traded in that car in 2012, never saw any rust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here you all go, witness my scraggle hahaha

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@scorrpio thanks for sharing that picture. I drilled the hole into the side of the 'dome' part of the plastic, i.e. where the light goes in.

@Jcdabney I should have thought about a snake. I pulled out all the side panels, right 3rd row seat, etc. Such a headache not to mention that most cables were too short so I had to buy and wait for the extensions, the first backup camera was broken, etc. It took me forever to get this done. Actually, I need to connect another wire to get the steering wheel control back. At least for that I only have to remove the panels for the center stack.... On the positive side, my wife likes it a lot. Backup camera, wireless connection to the phone so the phone can stay in the purse, click on one button and you can dictate waze/google map where to go, it reads out text messages and you can dictate message back, etc. And I thought it was cool that I can tell the GPS in my car an address to drive to... Maybe that's my next project...

·
Registered
16 Posts
@scorrpio thanks for sharing that picture. I drilled the hole into the side of the 'dome' part of the plastic, i.e. where the light goes in.

@Jcdabney I should have thought about a snake. I pulled out all the side panels, right 3rd row seat, etc. Such a headache not to mention that most cables were too short so I had to buy and wait for the extensions, the first backup camera was broken, etc. It took me forever to get this done. Actually, I need to connect another wire to get the steering wheel control back. At least for that I only have to remove the panels for the center stack.... On the positive side, my wife likes it a lot. Backup camera, wireless connection to the phone so the phone can stay in the purse, click on one button and you can dictate waze/google map where to go, it reads out text messages and you can dictate message back, etc. And I thought it was cool that I can tell the GPS in my car an address to drive to... Maybe that's my next project...
I love your set up dude. I decided I was gonna tough it out and wire it cleanly. Let my three year old help as a bonding time haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts