Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been number of discussion on how to fix broken head units (radio and nav) in 2003-2008 Pilot and I thought I'd post what I've done. Technology changes quickly and the original head units in these vehicles are out of date with cassette players and DVD based nav units. Nowadays just about everyone has a phone with google maps or Waze and their music library. Bluetooth and voice to text are also handy to have.

The 2003-2008 head units are what as known as a Double DIN unit, which is an industry standard so upgrading is easy. I bought my unit and had it installed for under $400. I got and installed a phone mount and mounted the USB port in an unused switch panel next to the head unit. Here are the steps I took:

1) Go to Crutchfield and enter your vehicle information. https://www.crutchfield.com/car/carselector.aspx?lp=/car/outfitmycar/mycar.aspx

2) Follow their guide to get units that fit your Pilot, I got an Apple CarPlay unit, https://www.crutchfield.com/p_1301400NEX/Pioneer-MVH-1400NEX.html . They threw in the mounting cable for free. The cable allows the steering wheel control buttons to work. For $100 more I could have got a completely cordless unit but since I always charge my phone I went with the USB unit. Don't forget to update the firmware on the unit.

3) Find you friendly neighborhood stereo shop and have them install it, my guy charged me $80 but it is a DIY job if you are in the mood.

4) Get a phone holder that fits your phone. I like the ProClip USA system. I did have to mount the plate lower on the clip on unit to keep the phone from getting in the way of the screen. This system runs about $80

Here is a picture of my set up. Note the location of the USB port so I don't have to plug into the cigarette lighter and the lower mounting of the ProClip USA plate

This makes a world of difference in driving convince and looks factory installed. All in I'm out $450-$500 for this upgrade.

head unit.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was just looking at that HU! Looks great.

After I'm done with the important stuff, mechanical and bodywork, I plan on upgrading the tech in mine. I wanted to use that HU, get an overhead screen, add a backup camera and use the HU to control it all.

This HU does have a composite out right? What all does it allow to stream out the composite output?

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Pioneer MVH-1400NEX
Digital multimedia receiver (does not play CDs)
But... but... now how are you gonna play your wife's favorite Kenny G CD?

Seriously, great solution. Looks clean and OEM.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
But... but... now how are you gonna play your wife's favorite Kenny G CD?

Seriously, great solution. Looks clean and OEM.
How do we know it's not been converted to MP3 yet ? lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts