Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered these parts from etrailer.com and the wire harness is a direct fit to the Pilot connection. Only thing that went wrong was they provided the wrong bolts to attach tow hitch to the frame. The bolts you need are M14x40mmx1.50 pitch, you will need 6 of these. The 7 trailer will sit at an angle compared to the hitch. The Honda cover was a separate order from the dealership.

I went this route because I like the look of the bottom silver chrome trim and also wanted the tow hitch, if needed later.

Anyway on to the details.

Parts Ordered:
T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness for Factory Tow Package - 7-Way Trailer Connector Item# 118274 $56.95 USD
Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - Item# 87691 $170.95 USD

You may want to order the bracket that attaches the 7 way connector the hitch.

Final look
IMG_2041.jpg IMG_2043.jpg IMG_2047.jpg IMG_2045.jpg

You can go here for the Hidden Hitch installation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTNfN1YyP24

Pictures of the wire harness, routing, and connection.
Overview the wire harness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dex__Ga_CFg
Connection to existing Pilot wire harness and twisty tied to the access panel. I did NOT remove the big panel. Just reached in back top left after removing the access panel on the left below the cigarette lighter.
IMG_2073.jpg

Route the wires behind the big panel and drop all the wires below the jack. Connected the towing brain to this location left of the jack. There's already an existing treaded hole. You'll need a bolt that fits this and clean the hole for clean ground, wire wire below the brain is the ground.
IMG_2061.jpg

Between the towing brain and jack is the wire harness and grommet that routes to outside of the car, see above picture. The grommet is a very good fit, pain to get in but once it's in I doubt it will come out. This is the picture pointing down.
IMG_2060.jpg

Drilled two holes on the plastic panel and attached the harness. You can see where the new wire came out from the inside of car and two bolts, in silver, holding the tow hitch.
IMG_2064.jpg

Wrapped harness around the new hitch, extra long wires provided.
IMG_2067.jpg

Connection to the 7 way trailer car end after the wrap around from above picture. I used twisty ties to attach the 7 way trailer connection to the hitch. I should have ordered the bracket for this but for now it's fine.
IMG_2066.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just installed the Curt Hitch solo... man that thing is heavy.... took me 30 mins.. if I had a helping hand, would have had it done in 10 minutes, maybe less.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Excellent post.

I originally thought I wanted the Honda hitch for the more finished look.
After finding that climbing into the back is more difficult that I anticipated, it seems like the lower aftermarket hitch with a step is at a more user friendly height plus it is much more cost effective.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I installed the same one, mainly for bike rack and for a carrier when I go fill my gas can for my generator. The thing is heavy, but all in all, an easy job.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I purchased the Curt hitch, made in the USA. This sucker is not light weighing in at 45 pounds! Hidden, Reese, Draw-tite and Pro are the same hitch made by Cequent in Mexico. On other brands of vehicles, there were internet comparisons where the Curt was heavier, built better and made in the USA, an easy decision. Amazon had the best price, $141.90. It included the correct bolts. One trick I found was to "hook" the passengers side of the hitch over the exhaust which holds it up making the installation of the driver side bolts easy. A bit of anti-seize on the thread is a good idea in case it needs to be removed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone know if the curt wire harness will fit into the factory plug thingy on the lower trim, next to the factory hitch location? Or is the only option to hang it below the lower trim?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Anyone know if the curt wire harness will fit into the factory plug thingy on the lower trim, next to the factory hitch location? Or is the only option to hang it below the lower trim?
Search the forums, I believe someone here installed the Curt harness with the factory hitch but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My curt hitch but still need to go by a shop to check the torque of the bolts. I think my torque socket wrench from harbor freight crapped out on me since I couldn't seem to get a click for 139lbs the manufacture recommends. Over all, easy install but another set of hands was very helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just wanted to add the OEM pic vs Aftermarket, you will lose some clearance with aftermarket hitch.
Great pics! Does anyone have pics of doing an OEM self install?
I'm looking at doing my own OEM install of the hitch, body panel and electrical connection(s), does anyone have the make/model of the hitch and/or the part numbers for it all?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm looking at doing my own OEM install of the hitch, body panel and electrical connection(s), does anyone have the make/model of the hitch and/or the part numbers for it all?
Never mind, found the info I was looking for in another thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is ball park cost for the hitch and the harness and 7 pin connector, installed from the dealer? Yours is 2-4" higher than the e-trailer version, and I want that. Just went through air bags, etc. etc. with my Toyota Sienna, to try and prevent it from dragging while towing. I do wonder if the Ridgeline chassis and suspension is identical to that of the AWD Pilot? Also does the AWD Pilot come from the factory with the necessary transmission cooler?

Thanks,
Peartree

1 - 20 of 29 Posts