Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 EX-L (111k) and just installed new shocks and quick struts (first time doing any suspension work). Stabilizer links were also replaced as they ... resisted ... being disconnected. The first time I turn after it's been parked for a few hours, there is a single clunk. I believe it's coming from the driver's side. The weird thing is it only happens the first time I turn. I can then drive in circles or make S turns without any noise. It doesn't matter if I turn left or right or going forward or in reverse. It doesn't matter if it's on level ground, slight uphill, or slight downhill. I did notice one potential issue during installation. One of the bolts on the driver's side strut came loose when I was fitting it. Is that connection (bolt to strut) structural or just to keep the bolts aligned during installation? Once it was torqued down, I could not shift the mount by hand (for what little that's worth). Could this be responsible for the clunk? I have an alignment tomorrow so hopefully that will take care of the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replying to my own post: according to KYB technical support, the mounting studs are just press-fits so the loose stud is probably not my issue.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Usually the Alignment will fix this .. hit back and let us know what the outcome was .

·
Registered
12 Posts
bet the upper strut bearing sucks... the quick struts are usually slapped together as cheap as possible..
EVEN KYB uses the cheapest monkey handed apes to assemble them, using quality parts NASA wrecks more stuff then you'd ever think possible

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alignment didn't fix the issue. Is there a way to check the upper strut bearing? Any other likely suspects? Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Alignment didn't fix the issue. Is there a way to check the upper strut bearing? Any other likely suspects? Thanks.
the UPPER STRUT BEARING is a non serviceable sealed bearing....replace them as a bolt on unit (which is at the top of the strut and you need a spring compressor)
OR since it was a unit sold as a complete bolt in, contact your vendor and tell him the UPPER STRUT BEARING is FUBAR and needs to be changed out for new since the old one isn't good. I will lay you odds the left the OLD one in there and the lazy a-hole changed out everything else when it was serviced/did a crappy assembly job with new parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but isn't this bearing part of a strut-plus assembly? If not, I guess I'm the lazy a-hole since I didn't realize there was another component to replace.

I'm outside RockAuto's return window (install was delayed several weeks due to the Derecho) but hopefully either RA or KYB will replace it. Anyone know if it's likely they'll send the replacement first as I no longer have the old one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The bearing is part of the assembly. There should be lifetime replacement from Rock Auto. Log in and go to MY ACCOUNT to find order and click REQUEST WARRANTY REPLACEMENT. You can either remove and send them defective one and they will send replacement OR purchase same type, install and return defective in which they will credit your payment method when received. You do have to pay return postage but their rates are very reasonable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but isn't this bearing part of a strut-plus assembly? If not, I guess I'm the lazy a-hole since I didn't realize there was another component to replace.

I'm outside RockAuto's return window (install was delayed several weeks due to the Derecho) but hopefully either RA or KYB will replace it. Anyone know if it's likely they'll send the replacement first as I no longer have the old one?

Thanks.
nope not a stupid one.. think if you would about a rubber/steel pancake with hole in the middle.. bolt that on top of the strut assembly. the center part needs to turn for the front wheels to be able to turn. hence the bearing in the center..it ALSO holds the spring into the whole assembly, and bolts into the inside of your fender.
like others said.. it should be a warrantee item if it was wrong from day one

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi again. So I got the replacement from RockAuto, installed it, and the clunking sound is still there. I'm having the shop that did the alignment recheck it Friday, but is there anything I can check in the meantime? I'll recheck all the torques and work through How to Inspect Your Suspension System. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hi again. So I got the replacement from RockAuto, installed it, and the clunking sound is still there. I'm having the shop that did the alignment recheck it Friday, but is there anything I can check in the meantime? I'll recheck all the torques and work through How to Inspect Your Suspension System. Thanks.
Clunking may be due to another suspension component. For example lots of discussion centering on worn sway bar bushings and/or end links.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Clunking may be due to another suspension component. For example lots of discussion centering on worn sway bar bushings and/or end links.
Take a look at the stabilizer bar bushings. Cheap and easy repair if your visual inspection deems they may be worn. Search for threads on the stabilizer bushings and how to replace.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a 2011 EX-L (111k) and just installed new shocks and quick struts (first time doing any suspension work).

The first time I turn after it's been parked for a few hours, there is a single clunk. I believe it's coming from the driver's side. The weird thing is it only happens the first time I turn. I can then drive in circles or make S turns without any noise.
I just started a thread on this topic since I'm having the same exact issue after replacing struts on my 2011 Pilot. In my case I used Bilstein B6 struts and new KYB strut mounts. I get a single pop from each strut when I first turn the steering wheel after the car's been sitting parked, but I can then drive around and it's fine. It's only heard when initially turning after the car has been parked.

Start the car after it's been sitting and have someone turn the steering wheel while you look under the wheel well and inspect the top of the spring where it rests against the upper perch. In my case the popping sound is the spring binding. When the wheel is turned I can see the spring rotate but the upper mount doesn't move with it right away, then it pops back into alignment and that's when I hear this POP.

I have no idea why this is happening, in fact I just replaced struts and mounts on another car and don't have any issues. On that car I used a Lemforder brand mount (OEM supplier to many German manufactuers) with Bilstein struts.

The one thing in common is that we both have KYB mounts. Could these be faulty mounts or just a bad design? If I can't get any recommendations on how to resolve this I will order a different brand mount and swap them out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. Long time lurker and 1st time poster. I also an in the same situation with the KYB strut-plus assys on an 09EXL (SR4231/SR4232). The sound is from the drivers strut (SR4232), with the mounting bearing binding and causing the coil to repeatedly load-up and release. Failing in a bearing's primary purpose!!

I'm outside of the return window from RA, and only thing that KYB will do is replace with the same. I've replaced many struts in my time on many car brands. This is the 1st time I've used a new strut assy purchased as a whole - guarantee it's the last. This is our 3rd vehicle that I've recently fitted with KYB shocks and struts, but never again for the strut-plus...

JIM

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts