Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have'nt seen any installation pictures for replacing the headlight bulb. Thought this might help those who wanted to upgrade. I got the Sylvania Silverstars. Latex gloves are not really necessary. But I had them, so I used them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In the Pilot owner's manual,
Step 2.
Remove the electrical connector from the bulb by pulling the connector straight back. The connector is circled.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 3.
Remove the rubber weather seal by pulling on the tab. The tabs are circled.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step4.
Unclip the end of the hold-down wire from its slot. Pivot it out of the way and remove the bulb.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Step 5.
Insert the new bulb into the hole, making sure the buld is right side up and the nubs on the base fit into the indentations in the headlight assembly. Pivot the hold-down wire back in place, and clip the end into the slot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Step 6.
Install the rubber seal over the back of the headlight assembly. Make sure one of its arrows is pointing up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Step 7.
Push the electrical connector onto the new bulb.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turn on the headlights to test the new bulb.

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
Thanks for the great post and the time you invested to do so. Very helpful.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Great job, wwong. I'm curious, though. On my Pilot, and one that I looked at during the D.C. Meet, there's white grease on the electrical connector. What's its purpose?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
jay said:
Great job, wwong. I'm curious, though. On my Pilot, and one that I looked at during the D.C. Meet, there's white grease on the electrical connector. What's its purpose?
To help keep water out of the connector and reduce the chance for corrosion and bonding on the connector to the bulb.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
N_Jay said:
To help keep water out of the connector and reduce the chance for corrosion and bonding on the connector to the bulb.
N_Jay, is this type of grease readily available and what are they referred to as usually? Thanks.
wwong, thanks for the pics! Very informative, as usual.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
RipRocK said:
Is this type of grease readily available and what are they referred to as usually?
Dielectric grease should be available at most auto parts stores.

Be careful not to get any grease on the glass bulb.

Squirt some of the grease onto each of the contacts in the electrical connector before plugging it back in, after the new bulb has been installed in the headlamp housing - between Steps 6 & 7 of the excellent instructions, above, from 'wwong'.

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
Added this to the ever expanding list of DIY accessory installations. Thanks wwong. I'm sure your documentation has saved a number of people a bunch of bucks in installation costs.

Did you ever think about making a DIY book?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, should have taken the advice of members here. My silverstars crapped out! They only lasted 6 months.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
My Sylvania Silverstars lasted 7 1/2 months and I hardly used my Pilot.

-john

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
John,
Did you have a problem getting it replaced from the manufacturer?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
wwong said:
John,
Did you have a problem getting it replaced from the manufacturer?
I did not have a problem getting a replacement. I called their customer service on a Tuesday morning and I received the replacement six working days later.

-john

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thinking about installing the Silverstars in my 04 Pilot. Would you all recommend it or stay with the OEm bulbs? Just curious. And what is the warranty on the Silverstars? Thanks

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not positive if there is a warranty on the Silverstars. But it seems like no one has had problems getting replacements. I would not recommend getting the silverstars. They may be brighter. But reliability is important too.

Bye the way, thanks for getting my pads.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts