Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first post but I read lots here before buying my 2004 EX-L Pilot in Decemeber. I was driving on a major highway last night and could not avoid hitting a chair or something that was on the road surface. Nothing seemed bad in the few seconds after and I was a mile from home so I just finished my trip. The headlights still worked fine and as you can see the damage is mostly cosmetic but when I was feeling around in the bumper, I came across this. Pictures so you can see the impact spot and the connector itself. To me is looks like the housing or plastic back of it has been ripped off and exposed the electric connection. Any idea would be appreciated on what this is or where is should go, thanks all!

Just to be clear, the wheel and tire are fine, they are just angled from pulling into the driveway.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
2004 Pilot
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In other models, in the area of impact, is that where the fog light sits?
That's what I wondered. You can see from the first picture that I don't have fog lights but I wasn't sure if they were on a certain trim level or what.

CarGurus has this picture which shows some. I imagine that's stock for a certain package.
Pilot fog lights

·
Registered
2004 Pilot
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m 99% sure that is the electrical connector that powers your windshield washer pump. Try spraying both your windshield washers and lift gate washer. One will work, and one will not.
Looks like we have a winner. Windshield works, back doesn't. Is that little port above the glass and just to the right of center the nozzle for the back sprayer?

If that is the only component damaged then I'm not too worried about needing a fast repair. Is this mounted at the bottom of the windshield washer fluid reservoir? I'll try to look closer and see if there is anything damaged. Thanks Depleted Islet! I may have a follow up question in a few days when I get to the repair / replacement.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts
Was going into ask if your wiper fluid works, so kudos to @Depleted Islet. Hopefully, you can just reconnect it for the fix, but if you need to replace it or parts thereof, you might get a better deal going to a salvage yard. In any case, this video should help you better visualize the parts and the process.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
106 Posts
Was going into ask if your wiper fluid works, so kudos to @Depleted Islet. Hopefully, you can just reconnect it for the fix, but if you need to replace it or parts thereof, you might get a better deal going to a salvage yard. In any case, this video should help you better visualize the parts and the process.

Is it very involved to remove the front bumper cover like in the video? My washer reservoir is leaking, so I need to remove it and see where...but I can't reach that front bolt.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
382 Posts
Is it very involved to remove the front bumper cover like in the video? My washer reservoir is leaking, so I need to remove it and see where...but I can't reach that front bolt.
It shouldn’t be too bad to remove it, just go slow and follow the steps in the video and you’ll be good! One thing you will need help with is setting the bumper back on. It’s much easier to do with one person on each side of the bumper guiding their side into the bumper slots by the fender.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Sorry about the quality of the scan, but this should help you get through it. Not too complicated, just a whole lot of those annoying little fasteners.

Tip, if your headlight assemblies have gotten pretty cloudy (as your photo illustrates, no disrespect) and you were toying with the idea of just replacing them rather than engaging in the Sisyphean task of polishing and repolishing them, that would be by far the best window of opportunity. It's not a hard job at all, but the bumper does have to come off there as well.

Check eBay, Amazon or Rockauto for reasonably priced aftermarket headlight assemblies.

Hey, apparently a lot of 2003-2005 owners preferred the look and performance of the 2006-2008 Altezza-style headlight assemblies and swapped those in.

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sorry about the quality of the scan, but this should help you get through it. Not too complicated, just a whole lot of those annoying little fasteners.

Tip, if your headlight assemblies have gotten pretty cloudy (as your photo illustrates, no disrespect) and you were toying with the idea of just replacing them rather than engaging in the Sisyphean task of polishing and repolishing them, that would be by far the best window of opportunity. It'd not a hard job at all, but the bumper does have to come off there as well.

Check eBay, Amazon or Rockauto for reasonably priced aftermarket headlight assemblies.

Hey, apparently a lot of 2003-2005 owners preferred the look and performance of the 2006-2008 Altezza-style headlight assemblies and swapped those in.

Wait, the 03-05’s will fit the 06-08 headlights? I figured there would be fitment issues on the backside since they changed the housings so much.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Ask old-timers like @Rocky and @xGS 🧓👵, but I think it was quite the thing when the '06 - '08 refresh came out.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Ask old-timers like @Rocky and @xGS 🧓👵, but I think it was quite the thing when the '06 - '08 refresh came out.
IIRC, the gen 1.5 headlight assemblies were not a drop-in replacement for those on the gen 1.0.
You'd have to change the fenders, bumper and hood.
Also, the wiring harness would need to be modified to accommodate the separate high and low beam bulbs.
Despite the interest at the time, can't say I recall ever seeing anyone make that modification.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
See, I told you to ask the vets. They are the institutional memory of this place.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,438 Posts
Honda did a complete front clip (bits under the fenders and hood) change in 06.
Those headlight clearing kits are a waste of time, especially if you are already pulling the bumper. Just replace them with fresh 03-05 headlights. The later ones won’t work.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Honda did a complete front clip (bits under the fenders and hood) change in 06.
Those headlight clearing kits are a waste of time, especially if you are already pulling the bumper. Just replace them with fresh 03-05 headlights. The later ones won’t work.
Danggit. Oh well! I walked out in front of my pilot yesterday and saw that one of my headlights were leaking. So I’m in the market for new ones lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.