Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have or try the inside bike rack? There is no way I could use the roof rack system because I am too short. Honda said they have one but I can't find it on the accessory list. If not, could I get a trailer hitch installed without the towing package and use a hitch mounted carrier? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I took a close look at them, but consider this:
Since they attach directly to the floor, you can't use the cargo liner or cargo tray if they are in place. For me, the cargo liner is necessary so that the bike tires, chain grease, and assorted trail dirt does not soil the car.

Being brilliant (I thought), I purchased instead an (really nice)inside bike rack that lay on top of the liner. While it fit great, be aware that the inside (floor to ceiling) space of the Pilot is limited, so that only a small to medium frame will fit without the seat hitting the ceiling. I have a large frame bike, so any inside rack will not work for me - the seat is about 2 inches too tall. Duh. Should have measured first.

So...I purchased a hitch mount ouside rack. You have the choice of a fork mount or wheel mount, and I chose fork. Easy to put the bikes on the rack, but you do have to deal with the fact that the bikes can block the raising of the hatch. My rack has a fold down mode, which will nicely allow you to drop the rack, with the bikes on, as long as you have a "helper" to lower the rack while you pull the pin on the rack (and put it back, later). Mine is from Hollywood, but Yakima and Thule also make them. For me, even at 6' tall, it is too high a reach to put a bike on the roof, unless you want to use a small step ladder. Some people do this, but I wouldn't! Also, most people leave the rack up there between use, and I don't want the whistle this causes, or the thing up there all of the time.

Regards,

EJ

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just thought, since you are not tall, that the inside rack might work very well for you. Pull the front wheel, roll your bike in there rear first and see how you like it. The car will take two mounts, but two bikes will eat up all of the space behind the front seats. I would be happy if I could do that, but too small a space for my bikes to fit. I do like carrying my bikes inside the car, and usually when it is just one bike I fold the seats down and lay the bike inside - no rack needed.

EJ

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EJ,

Thanks for all the great info. I am looking into the inside bike racks because I do want to carry the bikes inside. I would think there should be room for some luggage and things when we travel with the bikes. Our bikes are small and medium frames, so they should fit easily. I am looking at a cloth liner for the inside and I'll just cut out holes around the attachments to protect the carpet. One bike fits great with the seats folded down. There is no way I could put a bike on top since I'm 5'5". I saw the rack advertised at hondaacura world.com for 132.00. I am going to order one and see if it works.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I read the posts. I am hoping to try mine standing up before I purchase it so I can see if it'll work. Otherwise, we're getting the trailer hitch mount and try that. I'll let you know!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, Ferd thought I was mistaken, but his bike fits (barely), mine does not. Small to medium frames are fine, large are not. I like putting the bikes inside, but they do bring in dirt and you have to be careful of the general marks they can put on your interior. I put my bikes in my van for several years, and the marks would never come out, even tho I used a tarp. Every now and then the wheel marked the area outside the tarp.....

You can certainly use a board and two fork mounts, but the sliding metal mounts, that allow you to position the forks, plus hold wheel holders, are much nicer. You can buy them via catalog or in bike shops, too. See www.biketote.com, for a fine version (the one I bought, but couldn't use).

EJ

·
Registered
804 Posts
Eddie Joe said:
his bike fits (barely), mine does not.
Ed, do you have a full suspension bike? If so, the seat post may not go lower on your frame. Does it fit without the seat?

Mine is a 17" hardtail. I'm sure a 21" hardtail frame would fit too if the seat were lowered or removed. Also, I can get three mountain bikes and three riders loaded inside. I'll post pics when I get the middle mount installed.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Three bikes and three riders inside

For me, one of the big reasons for getting an SUV of this size was to keep everything inside. I think it maximizes the use of the versatile cargo area.

Bad weather, low overhead clearances and theft/vandalism are not factors when going for a ride. And I can take my two best friends in the world with me (or my wife and my only friend). :eek:

[

·
Registered
804 Posts
Foosball anyone?

You can even fit a 225 lb, 58" long foosball table inside the Pilot.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ferd:

Yes, I do have a dual suspension mountain bike (GT I-Drive). If I remove the post and seat, it will fit, but this is just too much hassle to justify the benefits, even with a quick-release clamp.

Also, my road bike will not fit without taking the seat post completely out, and there is no quick release clamp for that frame. If you work the regular frame clamp too many times it starts to round out the socket, so, again, no go, for me. I have had a professional fitting set-up on this bike, so am very concerned about getting the seat just where it should be, even with a mark on the post.

Most of the time, I am driving alone, so I just slide the single bike inside on its side with the seats down. I have the cargo liner, so no mess. Every now and then, I have several buds with me, and then I use the hitch mounted, fork rack for two bikes, and one still can go inside if I put down half of the seat and remove the wheel (I hate to admit that we mostly drive all our cars to ride our bikes, but it is true! Problem is finding a relatively safe area to ride, in the city it is just too dangerous).

EJ

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: I use the rhode gear

voltaireb said:
Hi all, I use the rhode gear truck shuttle
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/cboProfile.cfm?SKU=14740&Store=Bike&CFID=8250431&CFTOKEN=66230708

I'm able to fit a 2004 Cannondale f600 medium frame, and the rhode gear product includes mounts for 4 bikes
It's on clearance for $59.
It's very stable and I have had no problems with it so far.
How do you secure the mount in place? I would worry about taking sharp turns, quick stops, or an accident, heaven forbid, with bikes in the back that aren't held securely in place. This rack does look tempting...

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Three bikes and three riders inside

Ferdball said:
...snip

And I can take my two best friends in the world with me (or my wife and my only friend). :eek:

[
:19:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: Re: I use the rhode gear

shutrbug said:
How do you secure the mount in place? I would worry about taking sharp turns, quick stops, or and accident, heaven forbid, with bikes in the back that aren't held securely in place. This rack does look tempting...
The yellow endcaps have slotted holes to secure to the Pilot's metal foldable mounts . The bottom of the track that faces the floor is lined with rubber material and even without a bike mounted, is difficult to slide across the floor.
The skewers are beefy and you can adjust the angle of the bike's fork just by twisting the yellow knob. The position is preset 3 different angles (I think it's 30, 45, 90) and helps prevent the bike's handlebars from getting in the way. The mounts are very easy to work with, as you can adjust the position of all 4 mounts along the slotted aluminum track. Overall, it's a great buy for only $59 bucks...

·
Registered
964 Posts
ferdball for a while had a home-made jobber that he made from a fork mount bike carrier and a 2X4.
Check it out.
I guess if you add a couple more mounts and some soft rubber, you could get something passable for about $20.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I use the rhode gear

voltaireb said:
The yellow endcaps have slotted holes to secure to the Pilot's metal foldable mounts . The bottom of the track that faces the floor is lined with rubber material and even without a bike mounted, is difficult to slide across the floor.
The skewers are beefy and you can adjust the angle of the bike's fork just by twisting the yellow knob. The position is preset 3 different angles (I think it's 30, 45, 90) and helps prevent the bike's handlebars from getting in the way. The mounts are very easy to work with, as you can adjust the position of all 4 mounts along the slotted aluminum track. Overall, it's a great buy for only $59 bucks...
So do you bungee cord the rack to the rings or tie them to the rings with rope? Seems like a good deal for $59 compared to the price of a single Yakima mount.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: I use the rhode gear

shutrbug said:
So do you bungee cord the rack to the rings or tie them to the rings with rope? Seems like a good deal for $59 compared to the price of a single Yakima mount.
I just went to home depot and bought the web tie downs, about 5 bucks and bungee cords about 5 bucks. You can also use the Pilot's net as well for additional tie down.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I use the rhode gear

voltaireb said:
I just went to home depot and bought the web tie downs, about 5 bucks and bungee cords about 5 bucks. You can also use the Pilot's net as well for additional tie down.
Looks good! I like the idea of bungee cording the rear of the bike to the child seat tie downs... looks like it should be quite stable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts