Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you have little pictures under your user id (to the left of your posts) where it shows your city, state, etc. etc.

How do you get those pictures in there.... and how can I fit them in my overall signature that appears below each post I make?

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
They are called 'avatars'. To create one, click on 'control panel', then click on 'Edit Options', scroll down to the bottom, click 'Change Avatar' and follow the instructions to upload one from your computer.

admin.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found where I can change it, but it says my picture is too big for the 100x100 size limit. How do I shrink it? :confused:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Try paintshop pro. It should do the trick for you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have tried to attach a .jpg file to the reply but each time it bust the size limit. How do I shrink the file to get it past the gateway???

·
Registered
494 Posts
pcbeck,
Use a program like paintshop to change the size of the image, it can also reduce the amount of colors displayed, which will also help load the file.

·
Registered
408 Posts
In the begining I have alot of problems posting my pictures. I solved the problem posting my pictures at 640X480 pixels resolution and you never are going to received the over size picture message again.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tony said:
pcbeck,
Use a program like paintshop to change the size of the image, it can also reduce the amount of colors displayed, which will also help load the file.

Do you think Microsoft "Picture It!" will have the same features? It has the option to "resize" pictures. This product is a lot cheaper than paint shop, and I wouldn't use it that much anyway.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Pilot-1 said:
Do you think Microsoft "Picture It!" will have the same features? It has the option to "resize" pictures. This product is a lot cheaper than paint shop, and I wouldn't use it that much anyway.
It might.

What you want to do is to make sure that your avatar is 100 x 100 pixels or less. Make sure that your resolution, if you have the option, is 72. (That's standard for the web) If you do not have the option of choosing pixels and are stuck with inches only, try to size your avatar to around 1-1/8 inches. To be exact, 1.389 inches is 100 pixels wide.

Also, be sure you are saving your avatar in either .jpg or .gif formats. Other formats, such as .bmp, .tif, .eps, etc., are either not set up for the web, OR, the resulting file is too large for web use.

Additionally, if you have the option of color, be sure you are saving in RGB not CMYK.

You can also download many trial versions of software, such as Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro, on different websites such as www.download.com

I hope that helps.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
There's a program called IRFANVIEW that's great for resizing pics -- will let you select your desired rez and takes about 2 seconds to do it. Do a google. I'm sure it's somewhere on download.com, too.

640x480 (max) is best for the forums -- not just because they're usually under the max file attachment size, but because it avoids causing lower-res-monitor users to have to horizontal-scroll to see them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
copperpoppy said:

You can also download many trial versions of software, such as Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro, on different websites such as www.download.com

I hope that helps.

It did! thanks for your help. :5:

(Now I just gotta take a better picture).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts